IGNORED

Do the new Marantz and Denon's Receivers stream MCH DSD gaplessly?

YEs? or No?

And if both yes.. would you buy The Marantz over the Denon?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Well, I'll share what I had once read during my search for info in 2014 :

Denon vs Marantz

Heading up the neighbouring Marantz fleet was the 9.2-channel £1,400 SR7008, with a nigh-on identical specification to Denon’s AVR-X4000.

If you were just running the numbers you might suspect them to be basically the same boxes.

But just how similar are these home theatre titans beneath the hood? D+M confirms they ship from the same factory and concedes they share a common construction platform; indeed, comparing PCBs from the lower-down-the-line AVR-X3000 with the SR6008 reveals clear similarities.

However, it would be a mistake to consider the two models essentially the same.

ken-ishivata-confa-18.jpg

Marantz cites the involvement of audio tuning guru Ken Ishiwata – who has been largely responsible for steering the brand’s sonic direction since joining in 1978 – and proprietary technologies such as the HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuit on all its SR Series AV receivers, as telltale differences. HDAM has been employed in some guise or another on various Marantz products since the early 1990s, replacing more commonly used op-amps.

The advantage, says the brand, is a reduced electrical noise level and a highly dynamic performance. It’s HDAMs which contribute to the characteristic sound of all higher-end Marantz amplifiers.

Denon’s secret weapon

While Ishiwata is a familiar name to audiophiles around the world, Denon’s in-house sound-meister is somewhat more elusive. Susumu Yoneda has been similarly overseeing Denon’s audio tuning for decades.

未标题-1.jpg

Originally a speaker engineer, Yoneda-san has final approval over Denon’s key product lines – if he’s not happy then it doesn’t get released.

Denon Europe’s Takamitsu Hashimoto told HCC: ‘We have a senior sound engineering team, comprising representatives from each category. Yoneda-san is the leader of this team. Think of him as Master Yoda of the Jedi Council!’ When asked just how the two companies approach the tuning of their products, Hashimoto explains: ‘The aim of a Denon product is to accurately reproduce the content of the disc or file, while at Marantz the idea is to create musicality; the philosophy between the two brands is quite different.’

And to your first question, there's still no definitive answer to my earlier Marantz NR1506 : "Playback of (Multi-Ch ?) DSD and FLAC files via USB and networks"

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

And to your first question' date=' there's still no definitive answer to my earlier Marantz NR1506 : "Playback of (Multi-Ch ?) DSD and FLAC files via USB and networks"

Here's my answer (again): I have tried it with several Marantz (and other brands) and, so far, NONE are capable of streaming MCH, gaplessly or not! Until someone pops up with a positive result, it is prudent think it is not yet possible.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

If I've indeed missed it' date=' link me now to your previous Posts, whereby you personally tested the « [b']new Marantz[/b] » AV Receivers, specifically :
Unnecessary pix deleted.

FWIW, while I do not generally use AVRs (except the NR1605 in my den), I have used almost all of the preamp-processors including the most recent AV8802a. Do you think that Marantz would put a feature in one of the AVRs and not in the flagship?

So show me any info to the contrary. And have you ever asked Marantz directly (and I don't mean a CSA on the phone)?

Kal Rubinson

FWIW, while I do not generally use AVRs (except the NR1605 in my den), I have used almost all of the preamp-processors including the most recent AV8802a.

Thus, it's speculative deduction without actually trying your utmost with any one of the their new AV Receivers.

Do you think that Marantz would put a feature in one of the AVRs and not in the flagship?

So show me any info to the contrary.

Well, the stories you yourself can tell of peculiar brand/management decisions concerning product releasing.

Of Marantz, I can cite an anomaly in their current stereo SA-11S3 « flagship », pictured just last week at Tokyo International Audio Show 2015 :

s-15.jpg

Firstly, Marantz SA-11S3 USB Dac Issues - Mac OSx Yosemite (and we're, of course, now into OS X El Capitan)

Secondly, DSD by USB-B has been steadfastly absent, since its 2013 release, in comparison to SA-14S1 & SA8005 featuring DSD 2.8 and 5.6 MHz capability, respectively :

EL_sa11s3_back.png

XL_sa14s1_u_bk_re.jpg

XL_sa8005_u_bk_re.jpg

Why so for this SA prefixed player « flagship » ? Because of timing factors such as development, release, and continual demand ‽

And have you ever asked Marantz directly (and I don't mean a CSA on the phone)?

I emailed Ken Ishiwata a little after starting Marantz NR1506 : "Playback of (Multi-Ch ?) DSD and FLAC files via USB and networks" but haven't pressed for his reply because he may well be challenging me, a consumer, to work it out for myself, testing... However, New Zealand...

«

an accurate picture

Thus' date=' it's speculative deduction without actually trying your utmost with any one of the their new AV Receivers.

Why would I try something which is of no interest to me? Have you tried it with any Marantz AVRs or preamp-processors?

What I can confirm is that my NR1605 does play stereo DSD and FLAC from USB and network but no multichannel.

BTW, clogging up your posts with multiple images only gets in the way of communication.

Kal Rubinson

Response from Marantz Europe customer support...

Thank you for your enquiry. The network sources on the receiver only allows for 2-channel audio.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Im considering buying a Marantz AVR 9.1 unit but I won't use it just for cinema and surround sound, instead I wish to use it as a multi channel stereo. Does anyone know if the unit can be configured as a crossover to power each L/R tweeters, L/R Mids, L/R woofers?

Thanks in advance

No.

David

yes, I would essentially be tri-amping each stereo channel, 4 outputs for Left and 4 outputs for right; Is this possible?

Marantz SR7008 9.2 is what I'm eyeing.

Thanks again

The SR7008 is not a new receiver from Marantz. Here is info on BIAMPING front speakers with unit but there is no facility to tri or quad amp speakers as you are suggesting.

image.png

David

David, looking at the SR7008 pdf, can (and if so, should) he tri-amp with Assign Mode : 5.1ch + ZONE2/3 (page 147) then use Playing the Same Music in All Zones (All Zone Stereo) [page 117] ?

Because Playback in ZONE2/ZONE3 (Separate room), page 145 :

« You can operate this unit to enjoy video and audio in a room (ZONE2 and ZONE3) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE). You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. »

«

an accurate picture

David' date=' looking at the SR7008 pdf, can (and if so, should) he tri-amp with Assign Mode : 5.1ch + ZONE2/3 (page 147) then use Playing the Same Music in All Zones (All Zone Stereo) [page 117] ?

Because Playback in ZONE2/ZONE3 (Separate room), page 145 :

« You can operate this unit to enjoy video and audio in a room (ZONE2 and ZONE3) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE). You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. »

Hey, he can do whatever he wants to. The amp was not designed to work that way but he is certainly open to do whatever he likes once he purchases one!

David

Sorry. But can we get back to my original Question? hahahahahahhaa

Yes or No?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Sorry. But can we get back to my original Question? hahahahahahhaa

Yes or No?

That will be no (at least according to Marantz Europe customer services).

Response from Marantz Europe customer support...

Thank you for your enquiry. The network sources on the receiver only allows for 2-channel audio.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a variant of the original question. I wonder if anyone has tried stereo DLNA streaming to a current gen Denon 7200 or Marantz 8802 (or one of their receivers) using a HTPC running JRiver and controlled with JRemote? The music would be stored on a NAS. I was wondering if gapless works in this scenario?

I currently use DLNA streaming without issue on my old Denon 4311, but not gaplessly. The current gen products claim to be DLNA 1.5 compliant and to support gapless. However, when I called Denon's service support center they had no idea if they would play gaplessly as digital media renderers (DMR) which is the case when using JRiver/JRemote. The tech didn't seem to have any idea what type of gapless the D&M units support. I'm sure they are gapless when used as digital media players but DMR is often a problem.

Has anyone tried to get gapless DLNA playback using JRiver/JRemote on any of the current gen D&M products?

• 4 weeks later...

Pardon IslandMD,

I've not been in a position of practical testing to have replied...

Well, I do wholehearted encourage « community building for multi-channel-minded folks » because with mass mobilisation...

Below is my translation of Ken Ishiwata's answer' date=' last month, to a Chinese reporter's question concerning multi-channel DSD :

« The SACD format, many people like SACDs (and manufacturers too have introduced multi-channel releases for consumers to choose), but it was not accepted by the market. Truly, its technological standard is very good, but in reality isn't widely accepted by the general public. The popularity and acceptability of the technology affects its ability to spread. Marantz offers the hardware, but the software is important—if many support DSD multi-channel discs in the market, then Marantz will develop more in this direction. Or if the public is very interested in DSD multi-channel technology, Marantz will seize the initiative and provide solutions in this area. »

Humbly, I'm but a single voice (albeit a friend [in a distant, almost negligible country]) and can't petition nor influence enough Ken's (thus, Marantz' too) product-creation towards multi-channel DSD features.

Perhaps you Kal can contact Ken (John Atkinson's a better go-between than I) and engage him in a Stereophile « Music in the Round » Q&A to push the envelope for all and sundry ?

And, if you'd like to cross-check, the original interview :

0?wx_fmt=jpeg

媒体记者:DSD碟片有多声道的,马兰士在多声道播放音乐会方面音乐性很好。马兰士在DSD多声道方面有什么规划吗?

石渡健先生:以SACD为例,许多人很喜欢SACD,厂商也推出了多声道供大家选择,但并没有被市场接受。这就是技术层面很好,但是现实中不被大众广泛接受。技术的广泛性和接受程度影响着它能否普及开来。马兰士主要提供硬件,但软件很重要,如果市场上的碟片许多支持DSD多声道,那马兰士也会向这方面发展。或者如果当大众对DSD多声道技术非常感兴趣,马兰士会抓住先机,提供这方面的解决方案。

0?wx_fmt=jpeg

«

an accurate picture

^ Yes. That would be a good idea....

But Ken baby needs to understand the world has moved on from MCH DSD on disc.. :)