IGNORED

David Bowie 5 years

I always try and support Qobuz as I think they provide a great service especially with the app. But these are some of my favourite albums and would like them in 192. So the question is 96 version at €77.99 with Qobuz or the 192s with HDTracks and 20% discount??

Is there any information confirming that these are actually remastered at 192 KHz and not upsampled from 96 KHz? How many major labels are remastering at 192KHz?

PS. It looks like the 40th Anniversary edition of Ziggy Stardust was done at 24/48 for the DVD issue. Does this mean anything about the new release?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

My thought on this was that I really only really wanted three of the titles (AS, HD, and MWSTW). I have Ziggy Stardust in both 24/96 from the 2012 set (quite good) and as a DSD rip of the SACD (quite good). So my choice was to wait and see if they release individual titles later (like they have done for most of the collection sets).

That said, I was hoping someone would post some quantitative information to confirm the value of the 24/192, as well as the DR?

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Thank you, Claude.

I will wait until that is available in the United States, which I am now confident will happen (I would need to jump through some origin of server hoops as this is not currently approved for my territory and I don't want to do that).

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

• 2 weeks later...

"Five Years (1969 - 1973)" is now also available on HDtracks, in 24/96 and 24/192 (Qobuz has the 24/96 files only)

BTW, the DR values of the downloads can be found in the DR database.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

With DR9, "Aladdin Sane" is the only album that suffers from excessive compression (the first CD release is DR11), all the others are OK in that department.

Claude

• 2 weeks later...
What i like to know is which reel machine and a/d converter did they used and how the transfer was done.

Yep, hi-res re-masters like this mainly appeal to Audiophiles and Music Lovers, and these folks like us would really appreciate full disclosure of the re-mastering process, it is really too bad this information is rarely discussed openly. If you want a very discriminating audience to pay a premium for a (hopefully) premium product, it makes sense to market the product with the details.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

For people who love Bowie and know these albums well, how do the high res files compare to what you already have? Looking for subjective opinions here. And if anyone has both the vinyl and the high res I would definitely love to hear your thoughts.

Michael Fremer gave the vinyl version of Hunky Dory a pretty rough review, which got me thinking I'd like to hear more from this group. Not looking for troll-y opinions on Michael fremer, btw.

I noticed this week Space Oddity was released on HD tracks. So apparently all the albums in the collection will now get releases as single albums. I resisted the temptation to buy the whole set. Now that they are coming out singly, I'll probably spring for Hunky Dory when that comes out and see what I think before splurging for others. I'd probably only buy Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane, possibly Pinups

I noticed this week Space Oddity was released on HD tracks. So apparently all the albums in the collection will now get releases as single albums. I resisted the temptation to buy the whole set. Now that they are coming out singly, I'll probably spring for Hunky Dory when that comes out and see what I think before splurging for others. I'd probably only buy Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane, possibly Pinups

Yes, I hope all the albums become available separately, that will be great news for me as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio