IGNORED

Foo Fighters record on 2-inch tape

shp

I am on a teleconference with one of the producers of Sonic Highways, Jim Rota. I asked about hi-rez audio in rock and roll.

He said the Foo Fighters actually record on 2-inch tape - they're not on hi-rez digital at all. My sense is he's a vinyl guy so there wouldn't be a push for digital, at least with that band, in the near future.

I am on a teleconference with one of the producers of Sonic Highways, Jim Rota. I asked about hi-rez audio in rock and roll.

He said the Foo Fighters actually record on 2-inch tape - they're not on hi-rez digital at all. My sense is he's a vinyl guy so there wouldn't be a push for digital, at least with that band, in the near future.

This is true. It was either the 2007 or the 2011 release where they cut up the master into slices and included them with each CD. You buy the CD, you own a little bit of history. I still have mine in the case.

If you record to tape and then heavily volume compress the master, it still sounds like S*** in the final result. Not directing the comment specifically at Foo Fighters, just a general observation.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)