IGNORED

ECdesigns

• 2 months later...

Their new DAC is being produced. Back to Toslink input. I have a feeling this is going to be a ground breaking product.

There are quite a few innovations, some of which you can read about on the DiyAudio thread. The DAC will be battery powered. 

They have also a small USB to Toslink adapter available (size of a USB key).

The claim here is that as long as source is bit perfect you can get a low noise and jitter free signal in the DAC. If that claim is realized, it will be a revolution in computer audio... 

• 3 months later...

I purchased the MOS 16 and am using it so far with a squeezebox reciever and am very pleased. I did not even bother to compare it directly with the Mosaic UV (their previous model). At 360 euros it is a no brainer. Will receive the UPL (battery supplied, very low power standalone wav reader) soon, and am curious to make some comparison between various sources. 

The UPL only plays wav files from a USB key. If the UPL is clearly above other sources, I will make a little program to automate the copy of a playlist and conversion to wav. Having a digital system completely off the grid (power and network) with very low interference, is appealing, in spite of the constraints. 

I had another set of ears come and listen to my system. He often auditions systems and has a good ears... My friend was extremely impressed by the UPL+MOS DAC "combo":  the pitch black background, the level of detail, the completely natural and realistic delivery ("analog" like, to quote him).

He summed up the listening session by saying that this was a revelation and an "intense musical experience". 

I hope others will get a chance to listen to the UPL player along with the DAC as it really sets a new standard, in my opinion, for digital playback. 

2 hours ago, beautiful music said:

That's a good point.

Curious to know the other DAC's that you owned from other brands.

A lot over the past 15 years, not all of which I can remember (not in any order): Ayre QB9, Calyx Femto, Dangerous Music Source, a few Wadia (Wadia 25 and others), Mytek 192, Bel Canto, etc...

What is your point ?

15 hours ago, n-a said:

Hi all,

I can confirm that the EcDesigns Mos16 is exceptionally natural sounding dac. However it needs good source and amplification. I tried it first with basic sources and it was not that good. Cd transport + Ifi spdif purifier did the trick. Now I think it is the best dac that I have had and maybe even better than the Theta Gen V-a that I had. Not so dynamic sounding but very natural. I like it it very much. Doesn`t get me stressed when listening to music :) It is interesting that there is so many "ways" to build good sounding dac, one weights a "ton" and another is light as feather but both sounds good.

Concerning the "not so dynamic" aspect with lesser quality sources this is exactly my experience, briefly using a Chromecast, for example. I guess the MOS is very revealing of the source (contrary to what I naively expected you cannot turn a bad source into something good). 

I do not have a good explanation for this. With a good source (I use the UPL) it is as if there was complete "transparency" and the music is just there for you to explore and immerse yourself in. There is absolutely no harshness and it is completely relaxing. I can listen to it all day and night.. it is a little surprising at first, but soon very addictive!

Thanks for your feedback. Glad you like it ! Let us know after some time if your impressions changed. It took me a few days to get accustomed to it.

P.S. concerning the "dynamics", I have found out that I can play the MOS/UPL at a louder volume than I was used to, due to the lack of any "harshness" in the sound (especially the higher frequencies). The blacker background, better extension of the notes, makes it all extremely involving and "life like".

1 hour ago, M_audio said:

The magic is obviously the DAC. I hear it everyday in the form of (very similar) Mosaic T.
The UPL is "just" the sugar on the top.

The Sabre-Resonessence is completely different design and vibe. 

We will find out when more trials are done. I do not have a good source outside the UPL, and I do not intend on investing in one. If I bring it over to compare at others' homes I will report back. 

Glad you are enjoying it.

I really hope ECDesigns will get more "publicity" for these outstanding products.

I can understand that a "usb key" player will have limited appeal. However, for the "obsessive audiophile" who is constantly tinkering and optimizing his/her set up (probably out of frustration with some aspects of the sound quality) using the UPL/MOS is the perfect medecine. The peace of mind it offers, knowing you probably cannot take it much farther (or at least not "tinkering") really lets you focus on enjoying the music :)

I was reading today on a French forum a thread on a network player (the Metrum Ambre): arguments over the mertis of upgrading the fuse, upgrading the internal RJ45 cable, tinkering with the various OS it runs on... It is such a relief not to have to worry about any of this ! 

Even if I do not end up duplicating my entire collection, I still like to have a fairly large sample "on hand" (selections in various "genres"). I miss having an easy way to look at what I am listening. So I am going to develop a small app to store on a web page the contents of each USB key (usb key id, folders, files, and optionally an image which you can also store in each folder) - it should be simple and quick to use.  That way I can easily search through my collection of USB keys (so far I have 7). Not essential, but a fun little project. I will post a link to it here once I am done.

5 hours ago, Norton said:

I bought the UPL16/MOS16 combo mainly out of  curiosity, but after a week’s listening it’s in daily use now and looks to stay  that way if I can stick to the “16/44 diet”.

I’m part-used to this situation from using SD cards with the Resonessence.  The strategy I have evolved is to keep my music archive elsewhere and just dip into it when I  need to refresh my listening, rather than replicating a complete music  collection across many sticks/cards.  

Regarding audio formats (sampling/bits), I find the quality of the recording to be more important than the format itself. A friend bought some of his better recorded music to listen to with the UPL and it sounded terrific. I listen to a lot of older jazz and classical music recordings, and I have to admit it is not as "impressive" with these older recordings, but it is still much better than in any of my previous setups. I was listening the other day to this album: https://www.discogs.com/Bach-Arthur-Grumiaux-Complete-Sonatas-And-Partitas-For-Solo-Violin/release/3403481. It was recorded in 1960, and I was completely "floored" by the purity of the violin.