IGNORED

DSD encoding with SoX

mansr

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/1/2015 at 10:13 AM, mansr said:

Add "sdm -f hq" to the end of that command. You might also want to increase the quality setting of the resampler, like this:

sox file.flac file.dsf rate -v 2822400 sdm -f hq

Hi @mansr, I found '-f hq' is no more functioning. I found also no help for the 'rate' option. Could you please maintain a short text file somewhere with example usage of DSD conversions (PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD, DSD->PCM) with all the available options regarding conversion quality and filtering? My current result is:

C:\Users\bogi>%SOX% "R:\RAMDISK\01-1. Eternal Caravan Of Reincarnation.wav" Reincarnation.dsf rate -v 6144000 sdm -f hq
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: invalid filter name `hq'

C:\Users\bogi>%SOX% "R:\RAMDISK\01-1. Eternal Caravan Of Reincarnation.wav" Reincarnation.dsf rate -v 5644800 sdm -f
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: invalid option `-f'
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: usage: [-f filter] [-t order] [-n num] [-l latency]
  -f       Noise-shaping filter
           Advanced options:
  -t       Override trellis order
  -n       Override number of trellis paths
  -l       Override trellis latency

Without '-f hq' the command worked for me, I only don't know if it brings the best available quality of conversion and filtering.

AFAIK your SOX extension seems to be the only way to generate files at 48k based DSD rates for free. Thanks for creating it!!

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
11 hours ago, bogi said:

Hi @mansr, I found '-f hq' is no more functioning. I found also no help for the 'rate' option. Could you please maintain a short text file somewhere with example usage of DSD conversions (PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD, DSD->PCM) with all the available options regarding conversion quality and filtering? My current result is:

C:\Users\bogi>%SOX% "R:\RAMDISK\01-1. Eternal Caravan Of Reincarnation.wav" Reincarnation.dsf rate -v 6144000 sdm -f hq
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: invalid filter name `hq'

C:\Users\bogi>%SOX% "R:\RAMDISK\01-1. Eternal Caravan Of Reincarnation.wav" Reincarnation.dsf rate -v 5644800 sdm -f
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: invalid option `-f'
H:\Downloads\sox-dsd-mansr-git-x86_64-w64-mingw32.exe FAIL sdm: usage: [-f filter] [-t order] [-n num] [-l latency]
  -f       Noise-shaping filter
           Advanced options:
  -t       Override trellis order
  -n       Override number of trellis paths
  -l       Override trellis latency

Without '-f hq' the command worked for me, I only don't know if it brings the best available quality of conversion and filtering.

AFAIK your SOX extension seems to be the only way to generate files at 48k based DSD rates for free. Thanks for creating it!!

@mansrleft last February.  Maybe you can catch him over at the ASR forum or his github?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, danadam said:

There is a link to the pdf with documentation here:

"rate" is on page 32 and "sdm" on page 36. The filters are now called "sdm-4" to "sdm-8" and "clans-4" to "clans-8". I don't how they differ. When I (rarely) do the conversion it is in the other direction (dsd -> pcm).

Thanks! At first I searched the document for DSF and DFF and found nothing, so I thought the document contains nothing DSD relevant. But your notes pointed me to thing that the SDM processing is included. But since there is no mention about DSF and DFF, I am still unsure, if the manual covers mansr's work. The quality switches mansr introduced in 2015 don't seem to be included in later mansr's releases. I also found that the sox.zip with Windows binaries mansr provided this year for download on ASR forum is not the same as those published on audiodigitale.eu.  I would like to find somewhere collected examples of DSD conversions (PCM->DSD, DSD->DSD, DSD->PCM) with available options regarding conversion quality and filtering. I would be interested for 2 scenarios, a) optimal for speeed/quality and b) the best quality regardless on how much time it will take. Without such an examples ... who will go through 53 pages manual?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500