IGNORED

any one have a photo of REGEN connection

I think you could do with a few options:

MBP -> USB connector -> Regen -> USB connector -> DAC

MBP -> USB cable -> Regen -> USB connector -> DAC

MBP -> USB cable -> Regen -> USB cable -> DAC

You can also try Linear PSUs for the Regen.

Strive for very short USB cables if you can't get connectors.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thanks for the reply but what is Linear PSUs?

Should the USB connectors be USB 3

Linear Power Supplies as opposed to Switching-Mode Power supplies. The former are said by many to have large repercussions on SQ. I'll let you look them up on Google for further details.

No, the connectors can (should?) be USB 2.

USB 3 will work with the iFi though.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

No, you need an A to B connector for each side.

Like this one:

41pDCU9mriL.jpg

Whats your thoughts on me using

Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter - Apple to take advantage of one of the two Thunderbolt connections.

I don't know about Thunderbolt specifically, but I'd avoid USB 3.

Thanks but I'm not doing wifi and that link takes me to a page that talks about wifi and a little white box nothing like in your photo. Thanks

You're confused:

that's jwtrace's signature (it's at the end of his every post). His actual post content with the photo is showing you a proper solution.

You can ignore the sig.

My ifi nano is usb 3 does that mean its a bad product?

No, but I wish they had stuck to using USB 2 only.

Yes I'm confused

No prob, aren't we all at some point in time?

May I send you a photo or two of my set up so far and get your opinion, and budget is an issue?

Sure thing.

Ok excuse the poor Photography tight spaces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20263[/ATTACH]

I think you'll be fine if you get two short cables (or one or two connectors) for the DAC and Regen as a first step. From there, you can envision trying other PSUs if necessary. Try to keep the Regen as close to the DAC as possible (connector could be better here).

One thing though: I believe I notice you are using the Nano into a pre-amp? The Nano can itself act like a pre-amp.

So, I think you could get better results by using the Nano as a pre-amp itself, directly into your amp, but then you need to put the Nano's volume at Max to bypass some of its internal circuitry. At least, it's something you can try and see if it makes a positive difference.

Thanks so much for the tips. So your saying that the nano is much better than my B&K Reference Pre amp. Also I can control the volume with my B&K pre amp and leave my nano at 3/4 up. Your way, if I had my nano at max and if it still wasn't enough I'd be out of luck. Correct?

Thanks so much for the tips. So your saying that the nano is much better than my B&K Reference Pre amp. Also I can control the volume with my B&K pre amp and leave my nano at 3/4 up. Your way, if I had my nano at max and if it still wasn't enough I'd be out of luck. Correct?

Volume controls are attenuators, meaning they only ever turn *down* the volume from maximum. You don't need a pre-amp to get loud except for a turntable with a moving coil cartridge.

In fact, be careful to have the volume way down the first time you try the Nano direct to amp.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hey Now,

I am using a Nano from my iMac . . .

iMac > Kimber USB cable > Regen > solid adapter > Nano > preamp > amps > speakers.

I have the Nano on full volume and also use the coax out to feed an Audio-gd REF 5 DAC. This allows me to do 96 kHz and below with the REF 5 and do 176.4/192 kHz + DSD with the Nano with a flip of a switch on the back of the preamp. Not only does the Nano sound good for the price, it is versatile.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

Ref 5 too expensive for me. But it sounds like you agree I should stop using my B&K pre amp? in you equipment list what is the "Solid Adapter" Excuse my newness after all these many posts. I'm a slow learner.

Look at my post above....

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Ref 5 too expensive for me. But it sounds like you agree I should stop using my B&K pre amp? in you equipment list what is the "Solid Adapter" Excuse my newness after all these many posts. I'm a slow learner.

Hey Now,

Look at jtwrace's post (photo), the adapter is the solid connector coming out of the Regen. I use the same one that comes with the Regen. No, I DO USE a Parasound P3 pre-amp, it allows me to have balanced inputs and outputs with a switch to use single ended inputs from the Nano and balanced for the Ref 5. Another versatile piece of kit 8^). I've got a couple of Regen's and was using a double Regen into the Nano for a bit, it was pretty nice, definitely raised the bar on the Nano. The double Regen easily matched my HK HD990 CD/DAC using AD1955 DAC chips, couldn't tell the difference. I am using the other one with my Meier Daccord and it sounds terrific. I may have to buy another Regen 8^). Good luck in your set up.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris