IGNORED

Ultimate NAA/Roon endpoint/AirPlay receiver etc

Anybody who's following this thread might be interested to know that I asked AudioPhil (the man behind Audiophile Optimizer) the pro/cons of windows 2012 server vs windows 8 embedded for audio purposes.

I'm expecting he will chime in with a very good explanation on his reasons for making this choice.

You can follow this on his thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=17897

When people ignore a question it's probably safe to assume it's because they don't know the answer.

Perhaps he will google "Windows Embedded 8" over the weekend and discover it's abilities.

When people ignore a question it's probably safe to assume it's because they don't know the answer.

Perhaps he will google "Windows Embedded 8" over the weekend and discover it's abilities.

I didn't take this response as ignoring your question:

Hi

yes i understood that too. Those embedded versions are not suited because of some other reasons. Either way windows 8 is legacy -> it's a dead OS.

You then argued with him that it was current, and it was your argument he ignored.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I didn't take this response as ignoring your question:

You then argued with him that it was current, and it was your argument he ignored.

It wasn't really an argument. I was just stating a fact he was obviously unaware of. If he was already aware of this fact he wouldn't had said it was a dead OS.

he wouldn't had said it was a dead OS.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ha ha!

Perhaps if an intelligent man like AudioPhil took the time to do a complete evaluation of Windows Embedded 8, the 2012 server version would be the next "Dead Parrot"

Based on the hours I spent talking to several high level Microsoft officials about the best current Windows version available for this specific task.

Confirming this for myself was also helpful for me to reach this conclusion.

But if AudioPhil has some information I'm not aware of about why server 2012 is a better operating system for audio specific purposes, I would love to know. Which was why I asked the question.

I find a great starting point if you want answers to something you don't know is to ask questions. I figured if anyone would know, he would be the guy.

But if AudioPhil has some information I'm not aware of about why server 2012 is a better operating system for audio specific purposes, I would love to know. Which was why I asked the question.

Blizzard, did you not say yourself that a Windows 8 Embedded configuration is specific to a particular board? That would immediately remove any desire to build for sale to end users unless you were planning to get into the hardware game (which AudioPhil isn't afaik).

It might be of more interest to the "Audio Server" companies as an alternative to building devices on Linux - though there have been Windows Embedded based servers in the past iirc.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Blizzard, did you not say yourself that a Windows 8 Embedded configuration is specific to a particular board? That would immediately remove any desire to build for sale to end users unless you were planning to get into the hardware game (which AudioPhil isn't afaik).

It might be of more interest to the "Audio Server" companies as an alternative to building devices on Linux - though there have been Windows Embedded based servers in the past iirc.

To get the best out of it you build it specific to the hardware it's being used on. Yes I also thought maybe that may have been a factor. But also based on his response, I don't think he even knew Windows embedded 8 existed.

Anyways if built specific to hardware like I've done with the Intel 3815 board, I don't think there's a better solution.

What would be great would be to offer this as an option on the C.A.P.S computers. Since they are specific hardware.

Also a lightweight model like one based on the Intel 3815 board, might make a welcome edition to the C.A.P.S lineup.

But at the same time I'm just a regular guy with minimal software knowledge. Perhaps AudioPhil would be able to do a much better job than I've done so far.