IGNORED

Ultimate NAA/Roon endpoint/AirPlay receiver etc

So it's the ultimate renderer with this BOM price tag, and if USB regen was installed?

I know of no better ASIO compatible media player/renderer for anywhere near the price. In fact for any price. Based on the rave reviews on the REGEN, it should definitely take it to another level.

But if anyone can chime in with a better alternative, I would love nothing more than to hear about it.

Like Alex said, share and learn. I am sharing, now it's time to learn.

I know of no better ASIO compatible media player/renderer for anywhere near the price. In fact for any price. Based on the rave reviews on the REGEN, it should definitely take it to another level.

But if anyone can chime in with a better alternative, I would love nothing more than to hear about it.

Like Alex said, share and learn. I am sharing, now it time to learn.

Ok I'm confused.

Did you try the build with REGEN in or not?

Ok I'm confused.

Did you try the build with REGEN in or not?

No I haven't built it with a REGEN yet. I'm just saying that it could be. And using this technique would avoid the need for any USB cables. Based on the reports of others on the REGEN thread, taking USB cables out of the picture offers large benefits. Not only that it would be all in a single clean box.

Like Alex said, share and learn. I am sharing, now it's time to learn.

I believe that a Fitlet is a pretty good and cheaper alternative, which I have already tested with both Linux and WinServer on a microSD card. It has a 8-layers, industrial quality pcb.

I believe that a Fitlet is a pretty good and cheaper alternative, which I have already tested with both Linux and WinServer on a microSD card. It has a 8-layers, industrial quality pcb.

Yes I never seen those before but look pretty good. I added to cart and $310 with shipping for the Fitlet-I

One drawback of ready built system is no way to build a REGEN into it.

It's also nice when you can have a LPS in the exact same matching case such as the Teddy Pardo.

A large part of the cost in my system is the premium power button and connectors. You can shave $50 off the BOM cheaping out on them. The ability to power the SSD from it's own low noise power supply is also a bonus. You can also power the USB bus from the dedicated low noise power supply as well. And lastly, it doesn't look like a computer, it looks like something that belongs on a hifi shelf.

But they do look very nice. I would love to get info on ordering the raw motherboards.

Here's a picture of the beautiful little SBC without heatsink installed.

It's a UCFF form factor board with the dimensions of 4X4"

[ATTACH]20129[/ATTACH]

The E210882 pictured here is a rather old design that may not be readily available currently.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The E210882 pictured here is a rather old design that may not be readily available currently.

Sorry Jud but that's not the board. Your looking up the wrong number. it's definitely not an ATX form factor motherboard from circa 2008. That setup would look a little more like this and be 8X the size.2873473_s1_i1.jpg

Yes I never seen those before but look pretty good. I added to cart and $310 with shipping for the Fitlet-I

One drawback of ready built system is no way to build a REGEN into it.

It's also nice when you can have a LPS in the exact same matching case such as the Teddy Pardo.

A large part of the cost in my system is the premium power button and connectors. You can shave $50 off the BOM cheaping out on them. The ability to power the SSD from it's own low noise power supply is also a bonus. You can also power the USB bus from the dedicated low noise power supply as well. And lastly, it doesn't look like a computer, it looks like something that belongs on a hifi shelf.

But they do look very nice. I would love to get info on ordering the raw motherboards.

A Fitlet-B barebone, which is all you need although out of stock at the moment, is $149 with shipping in the US. No SSD needed, just add a 16GB microSD. Totally headless and fanless.

An external LPS can be used to power Fitlet and, eventually, Regen.

It did DSD256 effortlessly.

If you are interested in alternative x86 single industrial boards, have a look at Compulab offer:

ARM and x86 Single Board Computers |CompuLab

A Fitlet-B barebone, which is all you need although out of stock at the moment, is $149 with shipping in the US. No SSD needed, just add a 16GB microSD. Totally headless and fanless.

An external LPS can be used to power Fitlet and, eventually, Regen.

It did DSD256 effortlessly.

If you are interested in alternative x86 single industrial boards, have a look at Compulab offer:

ARM and x86 Single Board Computers |CompuLab

That is pretty cool. I like it. Thanks for the links. I would love to be able to order just the motherboard with micro SD card reader out of the Fitlet-B. The Intel board I'm using has an onboard 4gb flash chip to install Linux on, but I like the microSD method better.

Did you try playing any music off of the SD card?

I'm going to order one and try my version of embedded 8 on it when they are available again.

Their not expecting stock on the Fitlet-B until Sept 30th. Too bad. The SD card reader is pretty slow though at 25mb/s. I would probably load embedded 8 on a 32gb M.2 SSD. I love how it has the full sized mSATA slot as well. You need to get the I3 NUC in the latest lineup of intel NUC boards to get the full sized M.2 slot. However they are PCI-E M.2 which is nice.

Too bad about ordering. I ordered it immediately as it became available. It is very much in demand because quality is far superior to consumer products.

You are right that mSD card reader is rather slow. However, once OS is loaded, usage of Fitlet as NAA is smooth.

Under Linux I tried also in terminal mode, no GUI.

I am not sure that the available single boards correspond to the one onboard Fitlet.

Too bad about ordering. I ordered it immediately as it became available. It is very much in demand because quality is far superior to consumer products.

You are right that mSD card reader is rather slow. However, once OS is loaded, usage of Fitlet as NAA is smooth.

Under Linux I tried also in terminal mode, no GUI.

I am not sure that the available single boards correspond to the one onboard Fitlet.

It's small and cheap enough. You can always throw the whole thing enclosure and all into a bigger fancy box. Then you could put the Regen in with it along with an optical transceiver module for isolation like the one in the picture.

Then it would look like a fancy piece of audio gear.

Something like this would probably do the trick for isolation:

http://www.mpl.ch/t2ba0.html

10_100M_Multi-mode_Fiber_Optic_Ethernet_Media_Converter.jpg

Blizzard, this is another example of why it's been suggested to you to think about reducing the tone of your posts where everything is "ultimate". You are passionate and have good ideas, but maybe - just maybe - you don't know more about every aspect of computer audio than professionals with success in the marketplace - people who have actually build products and sold them, not just drawn them up on a piece of paper and possibly built one DIY unit.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Blizzard, this is another example of why it's been suggested to you to think about reducing the tone of your posts where everything is "ultimate". You are passionate and have good ideas, but maybe - just maybe - you don't know more about every aspect of computer audio than professionals with success in the marketplace - people who have actually build products and sold them, not just drawn them up on a piece of paper and possibly built one DIY unit.

Sorry if the word "ultimate" offends you. I never claimed to know better than anyone else how to build computer audio based components. This is why I asked a few posts ago:

"But if anyone can chime in with a better alternative, I would love nothing more than to hear about it"

So far bibo01 chimed in with an awesome alternative. Hopefully more people will contribute helpful information as well rather than contribute time wasting criticism. If so this may turn into an educational thread for everyone.

I'd just like to say that since interest in this project so far has been more than I was expecting, perhaps I should make a tutorial with photos of all the steps. I can also include different options such as the REGEN, optical isolation etc.

If you haven't ever built a computer or DIY project before, it might be best to wait for the tutorial, or buy a ready to go mini computer such as the Fitlet-B bibo01 mentioned, or the turn key NUC kit based on this same SBC.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Thin-Canyon-NUC-DE3815TYKHE/dp/B00LPLQD04