IGNORED

Nina Revisited - or please don't let Usher touch Nina Simone ever again

0886445281262_600.jpg

I just reviewed this new album on my blog. Buyer's beware, there is really horrible stuff on here, mixed with some decent cover versions.

Nina Revisited… or I’d Never Have Thought I’d Ever Mention Usher On This Blog | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

As a lifelong fan of Ms. Simone, yet a person who sometimes enjoys a good tribute album, I must concur: there is a lot of truly dreadful stuff on this one. (Fortunately, I did not buy it. Rather I streamed it free via NPR's "First Listen" feature.)

Superdad, have you checked out Autour de Nina? I really like this album.

See here: Autour de Nina – an outstanding Vocal Jazz complilation | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19830[/ATTACH]

I just reviewed this new album on my blog. Buyer's beware, there is really horrible stuff on here, mixed with some decent cover versions.

Nina Revisited… or I’d Never Have Thought I’d Ever Mention Usher On This Blog | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Pardon the OT, Round Nina, various vendors, 44.1/24 similar type album, e.g., covers by various artists, I purchased from Pro Studio Masters. Enjoyable. But not Nina. Nina Simone's Finest Hour, also PSM, 96/24, with Nina is very enjoyable. I realize there are the classical Nina Simone albums that are incomparable from her. I believe I have most of them. Still I love covers when done well. Too bad about the album you reviewed. Saved me from even considering it. I did not get the right vibe. And you made that decision easier.

Again sorry for the OT.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pardon the OT, Round Nina, various vendors, 44.1/24 similar type album, e.g., covers by various artists, I purchased from Pro Studio Masters. Enjoyable. But not Nina. Nina Simone's Finest Hour, also PSM, 96/24, with Nina is very enjoyable. I realize there are the classical Nina Simone albums that are incomparable from her. I believe I have most of them. Still I love covers when done well. Too bad about the album you reviewed. Saved me from even considering it. I did not get the right vibe. And you made that decision easier.

Again sorry for the OT.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19839[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19840[/ATTACH]

Richard, not OT at all, you'll find a link to my review of this album in my previous post.

From the Nina Simone cover albums I also enjoyed (and have) Round Nina. I never heard Revisited and something tells me I probably won't ;)

I have enjoyed Morgan James' Tribute to Nina, I wouldn't call it a spectacular set of tracks, but it feels like an honest tribute and some of the renditions are very interesting. It's a live album. Morgan James Morgan James Live from Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola: A Tribute To Nina Simone | Morgan James Officlal Site / Amazon.com: Morgan James: Morgan James Live: Music

Richard, not OT at all, you'll find a link to my review of this album in my previous post.

Read your blog review also of Round Nina A Tribute To Nina Simone. Concur overall. And your rating.

Now this is really OT. I was thinking about excellent covers and immediately thought of Herbie Hancoock's covers for Joni Mitchell: River: The Joni Letters which is exceptional. And, Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin. The same assessment of excellent even with singers I would not have thought of. But it works. Of course there are many more excellent covers. In any case, thank you for saving me from a disappointing purchase with Nina Revisited.

And this time I really went into OT land. Though, there may already be a thread devoted to covers. Please delete my post if it spoils this thread.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Elton John Two Rooms.jpg

Herbie Hancock River The Joni Letters.jpg