IGNORED

Supra 5 meter USB cable won't work. Windows say's driver not recognized

I recently purchased a 5 meter cable to enable me to place my NAD m51 Dac closer to my Primare preamp. I'm trying to avoid placing my Toshiba laptop to close to my Hi-Fi, having done so previously with bad results. Currently I'm running 7 meter balanced MIT terminator 2's interconnects across the floor which is not really practical. Still sounds great but I guess the question is, do I try and burn them in via a printer or something. Or do I just sell them on to some other poor bastard who may have read the hype on supra's website and believed it. I would add that I use a AQVOS powered dongle which separates the power from the USB b end and supplies a regulated 5 Volt. I have also waiting on my Regen to arrive. ✳

I should have mentioned that the laptop has 16 gb of ram I'm running jriver media centre on windows 8 and I use asio4all as the driver within jrmc and fidelizer. But as soon as I boot up the message comes up USB failed driver test. So any suggestions for a work around would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I assume if you take the laptop close to the DAC, connect with another cable it works?

Also, does removing the AQVOS make any difference?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Tried the supra with and without AQVOS and windows won't recognize it. With a different USB cable it works. Funny though when I use the supra with the AQVOS the NAD 51 shows that has a lock onto the incoming signal despite windows saying nup.

Tried the supra with and without AQVOS and windows won't recognize it. With a different USB cable it works. Funny though when I use the supra with the AQVOS the NAD 51 shows that has a lock onto the incoming signal despite windows saying nup.

Perhaps it is the length of the cable. USB was not designed for long lengths. Try with a different cable of the same length.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Why are you using ASIO4ALL? It's crappy compared to your DAC's ASIO driver. I've yet to meet a modern USB DAC that doesn't have one. It'll allow higher sample rates in all likelihood.

My Supra didn't want to cooperate with my DAC when I first got it either. It settled in after a while. I can tell you that it definitely sounds better than a cheese cheapo cable.

I'll try the native NAD asio driver's but to me I found asio4all to be a bit more dynamic in the past. In regard to second part of your comment it's not the Dac that's objecting , it's Windows stating it failed driver compatibility test. As I'm not that computer Wise I was hoping to gleen some knowledge from those who might know more than me. And in passing once I connected it to the printer initially windows hiccuped and then zoom it hand shake very quickly.

• 2 months later...
Same cables

I would just wait James to see the improvement of the regen brings, you will be surprised. Anyway you would be looking at serious $ to improve a complete loom. I think the Atlas cables would make a difference at the Dac end. But as I said they are pretty stiff. Have a look at the interconnects section at Audiogon, its a good site to give you some ideas. Regards Dean

Thanks for being honest. Ya i have used Audiogon in the past. Before my B&K I had a small MUSE sperates power amps and a Goldentube pre amp. But my budget has changed with some family health issues. I help take care of my two grandkid who are Special Needs. My grand daughter 10 yr's old beat Type ALL Leukemia and my little grandson 6 has cerebella Palsy a mile case but enough to cause us maybe to move out of New Mexico to better schools and health care in Colorado Springs Colorado.Big buck in all of it. Music helps me and I'm cursed with a good ear for quality. Please give me a price on your cables if you think they will make a difference over the one's I have.

I've just read transparent's web site, they have an upgrade path to the next level. They are impedance matched cables (much in the same way my MIT cables are). I believe that you would get a better result from speaker cable upgrade. Whilst I use MIT for system purpose , I have tried Kimber 12tc and they are really good, a driving detailed sound with great rhythm and excellent bass and sweet treble. Still wait for the Regen I think swapping cables at this point is chasing a Dragon. What speakers are you using and how wired e.g., bi wire or just single cables ?

I read on an article about a cryogenic treated strip with ten outlets (no surge protection) which was supposed to be excellent. Cheaper too, I follow this guy's tips and they are excellent. One tip have tried carefully tightening the screws on your speaker's drivers (be very careful not to over tighten them though). They do back off naturally. Sometimes they can cause the fuzziness and lack of definition you talk about. I can't tell if they are screws or hex bolts. But give it try. I'll find the article for you.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Sounds complicated, but I know what you mean. You would find that the internal wiring would have spade lugs direct to the crossovers. Maybe a new thread for you to post on this site, how do I change the speaker terminals on my ageing speakers ? I've seen on eBay speaker terminals. If your handy it doesn't look over complicated, particularly for single wired types. The exchange rate is around $0.72 but postage would be a killer. Try looking at the used cable section, in The Cable Co.regards Dean.