IGNORED

Creating a Secured Personal Cloud in a Shared Home....

I think it is the wrong way to go, but to each their own.

I do not recommend the use of the shared the connection to stream his music out to the net. Use something like iTunes Match or the new iTunes Music, and put a data plan on his iPhone. A 10gb per month plan will stream a lot of music. More music, in fact, that I stream in a month and I am a heavy user.

Listening at home with headphones, he can stream over the shared connection or listen to music he has stored locally. Almost all consumer internet connections are asynchronous, meaning the download is much faster than the upload.

-Paul

Thanks Paul:

I already have a Unlimited Data Plan through my Wireless Carrier (T-Mobile). Will that work if I get the apps from the Cloud Service and from the Manufacturer of my Server without connecting a Router to either my Computer or my Landlord's Computer?? If I am going to be using a Cellular Signal from my Wireless Carrier, will I be able to stream my Files from my Server to my Phone without using a Router??

Or a Router is required??

--Charles--

i dont use apple at all but i assume itunes match does something like syncs his phone to his computer?

edit - just looked it up.

before offering that as a solution shouldnt we check whether the original poster actually uses an apple iphone/tablet out of the home? or itunes at all??

Yes..... I have a 2014 Apple iPhone 5S (32 GB, Cellular & Wi-Fi), but an Android Tablet (2012 Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 -- 8 GB & Wi-Fi Only). I am thinking about getting an Apple iPad Mini or iPad Air (128 GB, Cellular & Wi-Fi..... doesn't have to be brand new.... can be refurbished to save money).

Both the Apple iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy Tablet are used outside the home. I have iTunes on the iPhone, but not on the Galaxy Tablet.

--Charles--

Of course, and Crash 42 is a pretty good backup service, but it isn't designed for music streaming, at least not so far as I can see. It is designed for backing up data, and moderate remote file access.

A true music streaming service, Apple, Google, or whatever is going to work much better for music, and will work on his iPhone, his laptop, and probably on the Android tablet. Apple Music is going to be available on Android, so I don't see that as any kind of an issue.

So no, I doubt very much the answer is to just use his current cloud backup system, unless it does support music streaming, in which case, it is probably an option. Probably not the best option, but an option none the less.

-Paul

Apple (iTunes) and Amazon work on my iPhone for files stored either on my phone, or for files stored on their cloud. And I have TuneIn, Radio Tunes, Spotify and Pandora for radio.

I am looking into Tidal as well. They're the first music streaming service that I know of which streams files in high fidelity. Now how that works I don't know. But I am thinking they have to be using higher bit-rates, and/or more bandwidth in order for that to work. But like I said, I'm not totally sure as to how they're getting that to work.

I am in between computers at the moment, but will get a new one at the end of next month (hence, the Toshiba Satellite Series Laptop), and so music files are taking up precious space on my phone (I have taken the Hard Disk out of my old computer, which has a lion's share of my music collection stored on it), but I did not throw the shell out just in case I might need it. And I got magazines and reading material stored on the Tablet which I also want to keep, and I want to unload those and ALL of those pictures off of that and the phone as well (which is actually one of the points in getting the server in the first place).

I'm getting a new computer as well. My current/previous one is eight years old, and is starting to show its age. Now internet and programs are taking too long to upload. Memory is maxed out. It's time for a new one.

I will be getting those two pieces and (maybe a router, now I'm not sure if I even need one at all) I might be straight.

I picked Crash 42 (or maybe, Zip Cloud), because they seem to offer a good deal as far as storage is concerned, and is a go to option should my Server starts getting full.

--Charles--

Sounds like you need 2 components

1. a local server attached to the in house wifi network; since this music never touches the Internet it won't drive any cost to the owner to stream music locally and it's likely that you can stream uncompressed music without issues

2. a cloud server that can handle streaming music to you when on the public Internet. You will likely need to transfer your music from your home server compressed to mp3 for best device compatibility and to avoid overage charges for excessive data traffic

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Sounds like you need 2 components

1. a local server attached to the in house wifi network; since this music never touches the Internet it won't drive any cost to the owner to stream music locally and it's likely that you can stream uncompressed music without issues

2. a cloud server that can handle streaming music to you when on the public Internet. You will likely need to transfer your music from your home server compressed to mp3 for best device compatibility and to avoid overage charges for excessive data traffic

Hello Dave:

May I throw another option into the fray here??

What about me getting a "Karma"??

A "Karma" is a Wireless Wi-Fi Modem/Router that is slightly bigger than a pack of cigarettes (poor choice) that provides a Wi-Fi signal where ever I go, when I cannot otherwise get to anywhere that has a stationary Wi-Fi connection. You can take this thing with you, and you'll have Wi-Fi anywhere you go. I can get it configured to tap into my Laptop and Server back at home while I am on the go.

If that works for me, it might be worth the price of admission. This gadget is $150.00 + Data should you need any (but since I have an unlimited plan with my Wireless Provider, having data won't be an issue).

Could that very well be a viable option??

Thanks and Regards,

--Charles--

Well no, it's not that. It's that since I am already using her Wi-Fi Signal, I just feel kind of funny undoing her connection so that I can hook up my Router to her Computer/Modem.

I am going to have a Laptop Computer of my own downstairs in my room. Can't I just hook up my Router to my own Laptop Computer and that will work that way?? I am already going to be drawing a Wi-Fi signal from her Internet Connection upstairs.

--Charles--

Yep - of course. The issues start when you want to share the music on your laptop out through the internet to your phone or tablet. ;)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This is what I am talking about:

https://yourkarma.com/

--Charles--

That's $14/gb of data. Rather expensive actually. Usually should be $8/gb or less. Sometimes much less.

Typically, you can get good data plans on your phone, which acts like a LTE hotspot, and is already connected to the internet.

Robert A. Heinlein

That's $14/gb of data. Rather expensive actually. Usually should be $8/gb or less. Sometimes much less.

Typically, you can get good data plans on your phone, which acts like a LTE hotspot, and is already connected to the internet.

Hi Paul:

How are you doing?? I have looked into the "Karma" issue earlier today, and YES, their Data IS expensive @ $14.00/1 GB (which DEFINITELY won't be enough...... I'm a HEAVY user, so at I will need AT LEAST 4-6 GB Monthly on my Mobile Device). Plus I have to still buy the Modem for about $150.00 upfront. AND, I MUST STILL buy Data from them right on top of that.

I kind of like the concept of having the Internet with me when I am spending the day at the park (like I will be on Saturday for example), but needless to say, "Karma" won't be getting none of my business.

I am looking into getting a LTE Modem from T-Mobile (which is my Wireless Carrier) and want to see if I can use some of the Data I'm paying for each month. I have an Unlimited Data Plan with them. I can get an LTE Modem from them for about $40.00 to $60.00. I don't want to pay much for the Modem because I will be using it only occasionally.

As a change in subject, I will be getting a Synology Server this weekend (still have to get a Hard Drive, but that will come in the next month or so) to start things off. The Laptop should be coming at the end of the month.

Thanks again for your input.

--Charles--

Hi Paul:

How are you doing?? I have looked into the "Karma" issue earlier today, and YES, their Data IS expensive @ $14.00/1 GB (which DEFINITELY won't be enough...... I'm a HEAVY user, so at I will need AT LEAST 4-6 GB Monthly on my Mobile Device). Plus I have to still buy the Modem for about $150.00 upfront. AND, I MUST STILL buy Data from them right on top of that.

I kind of like the concept of having the Internet with me when I am spending the day at the park (like I will be on Saturday for example), but needless to say, "Karma" won't be getting none of my business.

I am looking into getting a LTE Modem from T-Mobile (which is my Wireless Carrier) and want to see if I can use some of the Data I'm paying for each month. I have an Unlimited Data Plan with them. I can get an LTE Modem from them for about $40.00 to $60.00. I don't want to pay much for the Modem because I will be using it only occasionally.

As a change in subject, I will be getting a Synology Server this weekend (still have to get a Hard Drive, but that will come in the next month or so) to start things off. The Laptop should be coming at the end of the month.

Thanks again for your input.

--Charles--

Hey Charles - I think with T-Mobile you are allowed to use your iPhone as a hotspot, same thing as a modem essentially. And since you always have your phone with you, best internet hotspot around. ;)

Yep, for $80, you get unlimited talk, text, and data on your phone, plus 7GB of "hotspot" (i.e. modem) usage. That is a reasonable deal to be honest. :)

Internet always with you, unlimited access on your phone, 7gb on your tablets and laptop, and unlimited talk & text, including LD. And international service.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 10.22.53 PM.png

Sorry- Should have included the whole link - https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

Robert A. Heinlein