IGNORED

Mutec MC-1.2

I've lived with the MC-1.2 for about a month now.

As a reference I use an optical disc player and compare a computer playback. The CD player wins in this order of ranking.

1. CD Player 9.8 points

2. MC-1.2 outputs to AES3 9.0 points

3. Computer - USB - DAC input 7.0 points

The DAC I use is a Playback Designs MPD-3. That DAC's S/PDIF input and then analog output matches very closely that of the CD player's direct anlaog output, there's hardly a difference, I can't tell anyway.

If the computer feeds the same music via the MC-1.2 there is a difference, mainly low level detail and 'rounding off errors" or a roughness if you like but it's not the fault of the MC-1.2. It's still very acceptable though, and far, far better than the DAC's USB input alone.

The USB would need maybe an Uptone REGEN, tinkering with the filtering in software, that sort of work would bring closer to S/PDIF (AES3), so improving the USB for the MC-1.2 is ultimately what affects the sound output from the MC-1.2. Same old story, garbage in, garbage out.

I will say that the soundstage and accuracy of the presentation of music with the MC-1.2 is very good indeed. For a USB to just about anything bi-directional converter, the MC-1.2 is certainly very versatile and worth the recommendation and very much a bargain.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 months later...

Hello 1.5,

I see you have a MC-1.2.

I have a MC-1.1+, used to split digital stream towards to digital amps, really good...

just a question :

I received it this week, the 1.1+ is burnt, I found the SQ very good because detailled etc...

My trouble is that I find some recording slightly harsh. I dno not know yet if it's my hears or my setup yet.

My concern is about Mutec interfaces & their internal power supply :

can we trust Mutec internal PS ?

it is SMPS, thus not good usually for digital audio.

I opened the 1.1.+, I saw a capacitor on the PS part with "5V" writing on it. Is the all board supplied with 5V DC ? If yes, why not cut the internal PS and power the board with a LSPU ? LPSU, usually better for digital audio...

thanks

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

My concern is about Mutec interfaces & their internal power supply :

can we trust Mutec internal PS ?

it is SMPS, thus not good usually for digital audio.

Hi

I reply to myself folowing my experience this weekend : we CAN'T TRUST Mutec internal SMPS !

But, the SOLUTION is EASY & CHEAP :)

Please find all information in my post here on the french audiophile forum, just follow the links in that post and you'll get all datails about how to transform your "rather good" Mutec into a "tremendous" Mutec. Google will translate for you if you need so, sorry... no time to do it myself ;)

It's here : Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock : Musique dématérialisée - Page 6

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

• 1 month later...