IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

13 minutes ago, robi20064 said:

I have a Qnap QSW-IM-1200-8C, currently waiting for another set of Finisar SFP+ this time choosen from the Qnap compatibility list. Than I can share what is working - with what rate - and what is not. Other end is an OM Deluxe and I also have a Mikrotik CRS-305 just in case.

Can you as of today force the SFP+ into 1 Gb ? And if so did it worked with your present SFP’s

16 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

Now it just so happens that I bought a new streamer with Roon lifetime and that was immediately better.

What streamer ? And what’s it replacing ? Isn’t this the reason to better SQ rather the optical switches?

23 minutes ago, dbastin said:

But ERs and OMs are by design (presumably) better than 10G switches that are available.  You gotta wonder if a 10G device designed specifically for audio would be much (if any) better.

Well, it was not a serious suggestion. The price would probably go sky high. But yes, it may be an improvement. Maybe not in John design, but more to the quality of signal we could feed into his designs. 

This 10 Gb discussion is more or less started by Jabbr that has some valid points to use the technology.

Yes, you gotta wonder if a 10G device designed specifically for audio would be any better. 

I rather see the B side of EtherRegen 1 GB SFP.

Maybe it’s “easy” to utilize 10Gb on A side. (Even on OM). But I suspect the documentation and test required to officially sell it as a 10Gb product is not worth the hassle. 

So how to switch between 1/10 if not managed switch. Well, to my knowledge it’s possible to make the ER managed. But I can’t see it’s happening. Well Alex can explain more about this if he wants to. 

I think finding a reasonable priced switch that accepts Finisar 1375 is better to focus on. Make MikroTik modify their firmware is probably the best solution. 

Maybe it’s possible to do something with that pin on the 1375 SFP+, in order to make things work. 

19 minutes ago, Bertel said:

Apologies, I'm late to the party - @R1200CL are you saying that you wanted to use an SFP+ module in the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+ and run it at 1GB but this wasn't possible, and Mikrotik Support wasn't able to help here?

Into the Mikrotik CSS610. 

I think you’re using the router OS in the CRS305-1G-4S+ ? If it works as you’re saying, it’s great. I have one laying here. Not tested myself. 

How do you force the 10Gb module into 1Gb ?

10 minutes ago, Bertel said:

I don't know precisely how that process works. As the data sheet calls the Finisar module "selectable", so not autoselect, I could imagine that by manually setting the Mikrotik port to 1Gb the Finisar is set to 1Gb as well, so that with the next reboot of the switch its Autodetect can recognise the module at 1G and establish the connection, but I'm only guessing here.

The data sheet btw says:

"Transceiver data rate selected through the 2-wire bus in accordance with SFF-8472 Rev. 10.3. Soft RS0 is set at Bit3, Byte 110, Address A2h. Soft RS0 default state on power up is ‘0’ LOW, and the state is reset following a power cycle. Writing ‘1’ HIGH selects max. data rate operation. Transceiver data rate is the logic OR of the input state of the RS0 pin and soft RS0 bit. Thus, if either the RS0 pin OR the soft RS0 bit is HIGH then the selected data rate will be 9.95 and 10.3 Gb/s. Conversely, to select data rate 1.25 Gb/s both the RS0 pin and the soft RS0 bit are set LOW."

Are you using FTLX1475D3BCV ?

Thats the dual rate module. 

FTLX1475D3BTL

FTLX1475D3BNL
FTLX1475D3BCL

These 3 are 10G. 

So what model are you using?

https://ii-vi.com/?s=FTLX1475D3&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&ixwps=1

8 hours ago, audiophilac said:

why isn't mikrotik an option?

I taught that was very clear. There is (or I claim so) a bug in their firmware, so you can’t set speed to 1 Gb. The option is there, but isn’t working as expected. Hence you can’t use 10Gb SFP+ in 1Gb network, like you need for OM and ER.

The best solution, would be that MikroTik fixes the bug. So I hope as many as possible can email their support and request a firmware update. 

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

@Bertel reports the same.

He is using a dual rate SFP. Are you using any of these listed below ?

FTLX1475D3BTL

FTLX1475D3BNL
FTLX1475D3BCL

They work fine at 10Gb, but not at one. Am I wrong?

What switch are you using ?

IMG_0104.jpeg

I just tested with a 1Gb module these manual settings. It’s not working. 

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

It’s hardly a bug that Mikrotik doesn’t support running random 10g modules at 1g.

All tested 10Gb Modules works at 1 Gb. So I’m claiming it’s a bug. 

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

If it did, why would God need to create the 10g/1g module?

Yea, why did he 😀

And what does distinguish a 1375 dual rate from a 10G version. Or a 1421 1Gb version. 

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Again the SFP module has to both be supported by the switch

This more or less only applies to Cisco switches. And even there my Finisar module works. 

So I’m not agreeing with this argument. And we know for sure Finisar is working with MikroTik. 

Here is a list of several posts that support what I’m saying. 
https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?&q=Sfp&quick=1&author=JohnSwenson&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Here is a bit more about the subject:

http://www.toad.com/gnu/sysadmin/sfp-lockin.html

https://community.fs.com/news/compatibility-guarantee-for-fs-transceivers.html

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Superdad said:

b) Read/search this thread for reports from other Microtik users as I recall someone here saying that the Microtik settings to force a port into 1G do not actually work. There seems to be some confusion/contention around this.

This is Microtik answer:

Hello,

The CSS610 do not support setting Rate Select (RS0) signal to the Low state.
Unfortunately, we cannot make 1G support in CSS610 for 1G/10G SFP+ modules which firmware strictly follows that.
All MikroTik SFP+ modules also support 1G/10G speeds and work in both speeds in the CSS610, we can only suggest using them instead.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
Jānis B.

13 hours ago, audiom3 said:

My entire LAN is fiber optic, so it would be foolish to convert from light to copper and then back to light just to utilize an ER.

The ER should also be looked as a DDC. If the ER2 will have fiber both sides, it may be worth trying the ER2. Especially with an 50 ohm external 10mHz sine wave clock.

I’m using an opticalRendu, and I do the “foolish” conversion with a 10 GB Mikrotik upfront 😀

44 minutes ago, audiophilac said:

Would there be another Layer 2 SFP+ switch, fanless that could work with eR?

I'm currently using Aruba POE switch with four SFP+ ports.

All switches will work. So just find one you like. Mikrotik is popular cause of price. 
Is it important for you to have. 10GB L2 switch? Not sure they even exist. 
Most is L3 to my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, audiophilac said:

No problem, I'll probably upgrade the eR.

I don’t think ER2 is a SFP+ unit. Has Alex stated that ?

The solution to your problem is SFP+ (1475) in ER, and the 1421 in Mikrotik. 

IMG_0214.jpeg

finisar_ftlx1475d3btl_rohs-6_compliant_10g_10km_1310nm_single_mode_datacom_sfp_transceiver_productspecrevb1_0.pdffinisar_ftlf1421p1xtl_oc-48_ir-1_stm_s-16.1_rohs_compliant_pluggable_sfp_transceiver_product_specification_rev_b1.pdf

6 hours ago, dbastin said:

Do you happen to know if that is the case with all Mikrotik SwOS or just that switch?

And does the same limitatiin apply with RouterOS?

I am using CRS 305 with RouterOS.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe you can email. [email protected]

This is my case number to put in heading if you like:

MikroTik support #[SUP-48642]: CSS610-8G-2S+IN Issue with Finisar 10GB module.

13 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

Why especially with an 50 ohm? not with an 75 Ohm?

This is just the old 50 vs 75 ohm discussion. It may not be important at all. 

My reason to promote 50 is:

• Most relevant (cheap) clocks is native 50, and I don’t want amateurs in china modifying them.
  • The only working splitter is 50 ohm. And I’m using it.
  • The selection of good cheap cables and BNC’s is great.
  • Some very nice DCC is only available in 50 (Singxer SU2 being one)
  • You can order the EtherRegen with 50
  • And you can have endless discussions here 😂
  • 4 weeks later...

@charlesphoto

Very interesting observation. I like to understand some technical parts here better. 

Are you able to confirm your cable correct model number is SFP-10G-LRM

I got that assumption from this product article where orange color seems to be the only match:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html#CiscoSFP10GLRMmodule