IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

10 minutes ago, hltf said:

This bigger BPT unit feeds two Uptone LPS which serve two 10GTeks and a Roon Nucleus,

Your last post contains better information where readers can understand and respond with relevant input. You already know not to follow anything blindly so hope you are getting some helpful info from the thread. There are a lot of variables to consider.

What I can suggest is to review your inclusion of the nucleus and switches that appear to be inside your audio segment. 

Have fun trying things and wish you success!

23 hours ago, jabbr said:

I like to have only a fiber enter the balanced power area, so have the first FMC outside the balanced power and the second FMC inside and both not powered by the same PSU so as not to tied them together electrically 

Your idea makes sense, thanks.  It sounds similar to what @SQFIRST is suggesting too.  The question/concern I see for my setup is that I'd then have the first 10GTek FMC in another room, which is not very far away actually, but I'd have to connect the two 10GTek FMCs via a rather long optical cable.  I think I might be able to lay my hands on a long enough Cisco cable perhaps.  But aren't these cables rather delicate?  Right now that length between the two cables is covered by a flat ethernet RJ45-terminated copper cable which passes under a rug over which people step.  Would I have to send the Cisco AOC cable from one room to the next by taping it to the ceiling or something?  Would it be strong enough to take the twists and turns of taping it up the wall, through the top of a door opening, across a length of ceiling and back down to my audio cabinet?  

And a separate question also please.  I am wondering if this BitEngine 10G SFP+/Ethernet FMC work for a Cisco 10G AOC cable?  And should one expect that it would have the lower jitter specs of 10G switches?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CF5JHM9Q/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=&psc=1

Thanks!

hltf

6 hours ago, hltf said:

Your idea makes sense, thanks.  It sounds similar to what @SQFIRST is suggesting too.  The question/concern I see for my setup is that I'd then have the first 10GTek FMC in another room, which is not very far away actually, but I'd have to connect the two 10GTek FMCs via a rather long optical cable.  I think I might be able to lay my hands on a long enough Cisco cable perhaps.  But aren't these cables rather delicate?  Right now that length between the two cables is covered by a flat ethernet RJ45-terminated copper cable which passes under a rug over which people step.  Would I have to send the Cisco AOC cable from one room to the next by taping it to the ceiling or something?  Would it be strong enough to take the twists and turns of taping it up the wall, through the top of a door opening, across a length of ceiling and back down to my audio cabinet?  

And a separate question also please.  I am wondering if this BitEngine 10G SFP+/Ethernet FMC work for a Cisco 10G AOC cable?  And should one expect that it would have the lower jitter specs of 10G switches?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CF5JHM9Q/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=&psc=1

Thanks!

If you need to run the fiber cable under the rug, consider an armored single LC cable.

Amazon has a good selection, this is outdoor rated for direct ground burial.

The cable is slightly bigger than regular fiber cable contains spiral metal armor under the plastic jacket.

A bidi transceiver allows Tx/Rx on a single fiber.

This is mine on a Fitlet3

2B7ADEC4-EC02-443B-95D3-8E21F9A7D095_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.71a3ee75b9ccac9978708b3c29e7731e.jpeg

Also have the 10G bitEngine, will not be buying another one, 10G works and that is about it. 2.5 was a no-go

Quality is poor, mine came with a detached heatsink.

It only saving grace is being able to tolerate the MacStudio going in and out of sleep and not locking up. I tried a few of the cheap realtek switches, all copper 10G ports locked up after a few days  needing a power on reset.

432BE727-4EAB-487D-9063-EBEF5C6A15BA.thumb.jpeg.0d4a5e589e1914af52e586b6128c14cf.jpeg

16 hours ago, hltf said:

Thanks!

FMCs tend to be more cheaply made than switches but at 10G I wouldn't worry about jitter specs. Mikrotik makes a fanless 5 port switch and TP Link also something similar. 

AOC cables can be hit or miss but SMF, particularly Corning ClearCurve is pretty tough, and outdoor rated cables are tougher. Then use whichever SFP(+) modules work with each end.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

9 hours ago, b0bb said:

If you need to run the fiber cable under the rug, consider an armored single LC cable.

Amazon has a good selection, this is outdoor rated for direct ground burial.

The cable is slightly bigger than regular fiber cable contains spiral metal armor under the plastic jacket.

Yeah but folks should be aware that BiDi SFP(+) modules are specific and you can't expect typical SFP(+) modules to work with mono cables.

An example of armored LC-LC duplex: https://www.fs.com/products/40385.html?utm_country=9052181&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq92sm4m2hgMV3Hd_AB2jdgEiEAAYASAAEgIZrvD_BwE ... fs.com is a great source for pre-terminated cables

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

23 hours ago, jabbr said:

FMCs tend to be more cheaply made than switches but at 10G I wouldn't worry about jitter specs. Mikrotik makes a fanless 5 port switch and TP Link also something similar. 

AOC cables can be hit or miss but SMF, particularly Corning ClearCurve is pretty tough, and outdoor rated cables are tougher. Then use whichever SFP(+) modules work with each end.

This is a lot of very helpful advice.  Thanks a lot everybody @jabbr, @jud, @audiobomber, @b0bb.

Need to look through it all and conclude next steps.

Have a good weekend all.  Thanks again

hltf

On 5/29/2024 at 10:19 PM, hltf said:

The question/concern I see for my setup is that I'd then have the first 10GTek FMC in another room, which is not very far away actually, but I'd have to connect the two 10GTek FMCs via a rather long optical cable.

This actually makes for an appropriate optically isolated setup. The separation and distance from main audio is one of the advantages of fiber.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:58 PM, hltf said:

Need to look through it all and conclude next steps.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Others can provide input only to the extent you have defined your purpose. There is a chance of going off track otherwise.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:30 AM, b0bb said:

This is mine on a Fitlet3

Thanks for sharing. Just curios - is that a gigabit connection on the fitlet and what do you use the fitlet for?

1 hour ago, SQFIRST said:

Thanks for sharing. Just curios - is that a gigabit connection on the fitlet and what do you use the fitlet for?

Gigabit connection, Intel I210 builtin NIC on Fitlet3.

BiDi Transciever is from Ubiquity, previously discussed on this forum.

Fiber is single mode OS2

Use it as HQPlayer NAA and Roon Endpoint.

BiDi Fiber over OS2 directly connected to NAA is the best results I am able to get, conventional duplex fiber, gave me incremental results over copper.

2 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

The Fitlet3 optional optical port is SFP+ and will happily accept a connection with 10G capability (I use SFP+ Finisar transceivers at both the switch and the Fitlet), though internal processing is 1G.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

25 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

@b0bb are you comparing bidi vs duplex on the same connection leg to the fitlet and finding preference for bidi?

Yes.

Seems to be BiDi vs separate Tx/Rx on the Fitlet3, soundstage and vocals became a whole lot more focused after the switch, made a significant difference on choral music.

Below is the initial attempt $40 from Amazon for the transceiver pair and OS2 SC-UPC fiber cable.

I initially wanted SC connectors as they are physically more robust.

Got similar results.

The other end goes into a Mikrotik CRS-317, switched to Ubiquiti as the diagnostics did not function on the Amazon cheapie and I wanted to keep an eye on the temps on the SFP

6DA9A246-7C62-45E2-B7E8-1D60F7F6F422.thumb.jpeg.7e9111c710bd8ee0efc30cc16fd0bafb.jpeg

33 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

@Jud thanks for confirming 10g availability on the fitlet3. What is your use case for the fitlet?

I have a minimal Arch Linux install (no GUI) on it, and have added (besides the essential ssh) the HQPlayer network audio daemon, and mpd plus upmpdcli for UPnP capability. So I can (and do) use it as either an NAA with HQPlayer or as a UPnP endpoint with Audirvana.

Connection between the Fitlet3 and DAC is optical USB - no through-wired copper connection. https://fibbrcable.com/products/alpha-usb-a-b-optical-fiber-digital-audio-cable

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

I've started a new thread dedicated to (non-optical) passive DAC cables. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. Crown XLi 1500 powering AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers. Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. Furutech and Audio Sensibility ethernet cables, Cardas Neutral Ref analogue cables. iFi Audio AC iPurifer, iFi Supanova, Furman PF-15i & PST-8, power conditioners.