IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

• 5 months later...

That's what some of us are trying to find out, by listening.

What sounds better--to that listener, in that system, etc. At some point, you have to cross the rubicon from theory to practice.

At least in my case, I always fall asleep during theoretical listening sessions. 

I don't "know" that SFP+ devices will sound better in SFP cages (to me), but I speculate they might, based on some specifications required for 10GB transmission. IIRC some of the network honchos speculated  about that possibility to you/us...that their speed might not be the only benefit, the precision that allowed that speed might have an unintended audio benefit. Might.

So, we will try and we will learn.

Personally, I had ordered the SFP+ devices from Adrian, confident through reading the specs, Adrian's info/trust, and my acquired knowledge, and you kind of derailed the entire thread with questions, without even digesting the answers. A barrage of questions.

Before too long, some readers (me) didn't even know what the hell we were talking about any more. I'm texting Adrian, rechecking stuff I already knew. People from three or four manufacturers are posting. Crazy. And on multiple threads. Helpful eventually gave birth to chaos. 

I'll post what I hear, including no difference, when the SFP+ stuff lands. Good luck with your investigations into optical audio. I recommend some reading on the photonics side of things too, if you like deep holes...  

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@barrowsyou are my idol and primo tech dude, but...I use Finisar SFP+ transceiver in my Sonore OM (powered by your very groovy power supply). Other end of the fiber is into a modded PFBuffalo switch. SFP out of PFBuff SFP into Extreme. Have been meaning to swap the two SFPs for SFP+ but have not gotten around to it. Don't recall any issues with SFP+ and eRG either. Maybe a cable/SFP+ compatibility issue...or not fully plugged in? 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 1 year later...

...it's a switch, technically, but not designed to support multiple devices in the network. It is meant to integrate directly with the Extreme.

Some of the functionality inside the Extreme will be off-loaded to the switch. The statement is this, and other electronic design elements, will further reduce noise when used with the new network card. It was ~7K for switch and card, with DAC cable and SFPs (copper-coax, not optical). 

The real excitement is with the pending battery solution. Here is some info, if interested:

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/extreme-switch-network-card-bundle/

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-739