IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi,

Moode 2.6 Test Release 1 (TR1) is available for download at moodeaudio.org under the TEST CODE button.

This TR includes support for the new Raspberry Pi 3 and is built on moodeOS 1.0 the new J-Lite based operating system for Moode Audio Player. Additional features included in TR1 are listed below. Refer to the release notes for details.

- NEW: WiFi automatic Access Point (AP) mode

- NEW: Airplay metadata and cover art

- NEW: USB storage devices auto-mounted by disk label

- NEW: Network configuration system

- NEW: Auto-configuration system

NOTE only a few WiFi adapters support AP mode. Pi 3 integrated adapter and Canakit WiFi adapter were used for testing.

Be sure to read the updated Setup instructions to learn how to make use of the new capabilities. SSH logon is now pi@moode (pwd=raspberry). Preface all cmds with sudo :-)

Enjoy!

Regards,

Tim

player-logotype-v2-black.png

moodeos-logotype-v1-black.png

Hi,

Moode 2.6 Test Release 1 (TR1) is available for download at moodeaudio.org under the TEST CODE button.

This TR includes support for the new Raspberry Pi 3 and is built on moodeOS 1.0 the new J-Lite based operating system for Moode Audio Player. Additional features included in TR1 are listed below. Refer to the release notes for details.

NOTE only a few WiFi adapters support AP mode. Pi 3 integrated adapter and Canakit WiFi adapter were used for testing.

Be sure to read the updated Setup instructions to learn how to make use of the new capabilities. SSH logon is now pi@moode (pwd=raspberry). Preface all cmds with sudo :-)

Enjoy!

Regards,

Tim

Thank you Tim!

Installed on my new RPI3 and worked smoothless but.....no audio initially.... I wanted to test the AP mode and.... it just took me some time to understand that I could not use an internet radio when in AP mode :)

Hello Tim! Thank you for new release! I'm just installing new version on SD card.

What is the purpose of AP in new 2.6 version. I was reading above posts but have difficulties to understand scenarios when this option has some use.

Hi,

AP mode allows Moode to provide its own WiFi network. This supports two important usage scenarios.

1) Initial startup and configuration. This can be performed without the need to first connect to home network via ethernet. Simply join the network SSID "Moode" from smartphone/tablet/PC and then http://moode.local to bring up the UI. From this point an SSID for home network can be configured, then reboot.

2) Portability. Leaving Moode in AP mode allows access to the UI and any locally stored music on SDCARD or USB disk no matter where Moode is located. For example you could take it to a friends house, a trade show, the park or beach, connect it to an audio system and as described in #1, from your smartphone or tablet simply join the network SSID "Moode" and then http://moode.local to bring up the UI and start playing music :-)

Regards,

Tim

did you test on PI3 ? with internal wifi ? and with USB stick wifi ? for better range ? how to select what works ?

moode R26 TR1 runs fine here on PI3 with no luck figuring out wifi

I can only connect with cable.

internal wifi dont pop up as moode, on any other devices ? how to make it do that ?

connected external USB stick wifi, no luck either, dont show up in UI or send out SSID

I2S audio card to be my next trouble, when all "easy" stuff seems to work,

USB drive connects, and play audio files.

feeling lost again.

update : reflashed SD

first bootup, SSID moode show up

I did figure out the password my self, since it is not easy to find i just tried a bit.

anyways now my android is connected to it, but impossible to get UI

just no answer no matter what.

so I need a PC ??

YES correct.. you need a PC.. why ?

anyways, it could help alot if the wlan could search for active networks ?

or at least say if you types in the correct ssid and passwords and such ?

a reboot ?? why ? is that needed, the "others" dont need that.

did you test on PI3 ? with internal wifi ? and with USB stick wifi ? for better range ? how to select what works ?

moode R26 TR1 runs fine here on PI3 with no luck figuring out wifi

I can only connect with cable.

internal wifi dont pop up as moode, on any other devices ? how to make it do that ?

connected external USB stick wifi, no luck either, dont show up in UI or send out SSID

I2S audio card to be my next trouble, when all "easy" stuff seems to work,

USB drive connects, and play audio files.

feeling lost again.

Hi,

Moode 2.6 TR1 announcement, post #601 in this forum, lists the adapters that I used for developing and testing host AP mode. It also references the updated Setup instructions and the new ssh logon userid and pwd.

-Tim

update : reflashed SD

first bootup, SSID moode show up

I did figure out the password my self, since it is not easy to find i just tried a bit.

anyways now my android is connected to it, but impossible to get UI

just no answer no matter what.

so I need a PC ??

YES correct.. you need a PC.. why ?

anyways, it could help alot if the wlan could search for active networks ?

or at least say if you types in the correct ssid and passwords and such ?

a reboot ?? why ? is that needed, the "others" dont need that.

Hi,

PC is not needed. Problem is that Android does not support mDNS (.local) which is required by hostapd for name resolution.

-Tim

thanks, funny I could log on to ssid moode with pw modeaudio and access the UI

now i am confused :-)

but how to enable AP mode again ? when wifi settings I put in, did not work ?

I can still plug in my cable, and access UI, so far I use only the default wifi, since no support for USB sticks i assume,

I dont understand how to make it online on wifi only ?

I input my setting, but it just dont work,

I should be able to access it using moode/ or moode.local or ip number only ?

i just dont know its ip numer ?

SUPER, i could also use ipad ?

but my PC did connect, just once :-) no ssid moode is gone.. after i tried to input my wifi id,

i guess the whole point is AP should be gone, but what if I visit a friend, and bring my player ?

it could be cool to turn on AP again ?

Hi,

PC is not needed. Problem is that Android does not support mDNS (.local) which is required by hostapd for name resolution.

-Tim

thanks, funny I could log on to ssid moode with pw modeaudio and access the UI

now i am confused :-)

but how to enable AP mode again ? when wifi settings I put in, did not work ?

I can still plug in my cable, and access UI, so far I use only the default wifi, since no support for USB sticks i assume,

I dont understand how to make it online on wifi only ?

I input my setting, but it just dont work,

I should be able to access it using moode/ or moode.local or ip number only ?

i just dont know its ip numer ?

Hi,

If you configure an SSID for wlan0 and it doesn't work then you have to plug in Ethernet cable to reconfig / retry.

-Tim

SUPER, i could also use ipad ?

but my PC did connect, just once :-) no ssid moode is gone.. after i tried to input my wifi id,

i guess the whole point is AP should be gone, but what if I visit a friend, and bring my player ?

it could be cool to turn on AP again ?

AP mode is enabled automatically if wlan0 SSID is blank. Just remember to blank it out, APPLY the network config and then power off or reboot if u want to verify AP mode is working before heading out.

-Tim

allright I try ALL i can :-)

love to know how to activate AP mode again, nice if i later need to visit anyone ?

EDIT : thanks, I see now you added this info..

also I love to know how to access it, once I figure out correct wifi settings ?

all i know for sure is my ssid and pw, all the other things i need to guess and try, and reboot,

and then guess how to access it.. it is going to be a long night (again)

allright I try ALL i can :-)

love to know how to activate AP mode again, nice if i later need to visit anyone ?

EDIT : thanks, I see now you added this info..

also I love to know how to access it, once I figure out correct wifi settings ?

all i know for sure is my ssid and pw, all the other things i need to guess and try, and reboot,

and then guess how to access it.. it is going to be a long night (again)

Hi,

The Setup instructions have info on initial config and access.

-Tim

i know, all that i understand, i am also an expert in the "other" two systems,

been playing with them the last few month, they seem alot easier to get online on wifi,

but with my new PI3 all systems seems to drive my nuts :-)

what i now think is causing my problems ?

is the :

DHCP

not in use ?

could that be a problem ?

and I dont know what : WPA or WEP

Hi,

Just a friendly repost :-)

Enjoy!

Regards,

Tim

just a friendly answer : I gave up, never managed to figure out how to get my moode system online via wifi.

I love the idea about AP, I go as far as calling it a brake thru genious idea,

I understand the system can not search wifi bands, while beeing AP at the same time,

but it could kind of switch over for a few sec, to tell if settings are ok or not ?

a reboot and fail to connect over and over is not the way, at least not for my patience.

just a friendly answer : I gave up, never managed to figure out how to get my moode system online via wifi.

I love the idea about AP, I go as far as calling it a brake thru genious idea,

I understand the system can not search wifi bands, while beeing AP at the same time,

but it could kind of switch over for a few sec, to tell if settings are ok or not ?

a reboot and fail to connect over and over is not the way, at least not for my patience.

Honestly.... friendly comment:

1) I went to moodeaudio.org and clicked on "Test Code"

2) I read the instructions under "View Setup Guide"

3) followed the instructions for "INITIAL SETUP" / Access Point (AP) mode

Result?

My pi3 started in AP mode the first time I tried.... really straightforward!

I can guarantee I managed to configure myself the pi to start in AP mode in a previous version (where the feature was not available) by hacking the system.... but it was very tricky and literally took hours!

Honestly.... friendly comment:

1) I went to moodeaudio.org and clicked on "Test Code"

2) I read the instructions under "View Setup Guide"

3) followed the instructions for "INITIAL SETUP" / Access Point (AP) mode

Result?

My pi3 started in AP mode the first time I tried.... really straightforward!

I can guarantee I managed to configure myself the pi to start in AP mode in a previous version (where the feature was not available) by hacking the system.... but it was very tricky and literally took hours!

Thanks, going to give it a try.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

1 2 3 = easy

connect in AP mode, easy, (love the idea behind AP)

what to input in the network settings, I think I got it, but it is just a guess, since moode will not reveal to the user,

if he guesses correct,

fail to find moode on wifi, fail to ever connect to moode on wifi.

so it is a try and try until you figure it out, endless reboot, why reboot ? and the reboot take forever,

as I guess ?? I can only connecto to moode via correct IP numner, once correctly configured ?

1 2 3 = easy

connect in AP mode, easy, (love the idea behind AP)

what to input in the network settings, I think I got it, but it is just a guess, since moode will not reveal to the user,

if he guesses correct,

fail to find moode on wifi, fail to ever connect to moode on wifi.

so it is a try and try until you figure it out, endless reboot, why reboot ? and the reboot take forever,

as I guess ?? I can only connecto to moode via correct IP numner, once correctly configured ?

You are right, I also read post 583 by Tim:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-23858/index24.html#post526881

where he explained that

Auto-AP mode works as follows:

1) If SSID has not been configured then wlan0 will be auto-configured for AP mode.

2) AP wlan0 interface address is 172.24.1.1/24

3) AP dhcp address range is 172.24.1.50,172.24.1.150 with 12h lease time

4) AP default SSID=Moode, Channel=6, pwd=moodeaudio

yes franz, where is the news or the help ?

I will be happy to repeat : it is easy to connect to AP (the rest, impossible as I allready said)

But I Got an idea, why not just leave it in AP mode, and start to play music this way,

then there is no need to connect to anything elsewhere, and I can bring the unit to all my friends.

Hi,

Moode 2.6 Test Release 2 (TR2) is available for download at moodeaudio.org under the TEST CODE button.

This TR is primarily a bug fix release to address issues reported in TR1 but it does include some some great new commercial-free, listener-supported radio stations and the addition of sample/bit rate displayed on Playback panel as part of the extra metadata.

Like the previous test release, TR2 includes support for the new Raspberry Pi 3 and is built on moodeOS 1.0 the new J-Lite based operating system for Moode Audio Player. Features included in TR2 are listed below. Refer to the release notes for details.

- UPD: bump to Linux kernel 4.4.8

1) Fixes to bugs reported for TR1:

- FIX: NFS mount fails because rpcbind not enabled at boot

- FIX: Ext4 file system fails to auto-mount

- FIX: Channel swap can occur when Pi 3 + I2S + 16 bit audio

2) Moode users have reported the following adapters work in AP mode.

- Raspberry Pi 3 integrated WiFi adapter

- Canakit WiFi Adapter

- Raspberry Pi USB WiFi Dongle

- WiFi adapters based on RTL RT5370 chipset

3) Console login userid=pi, password=raspberry. Preface all cmds with sudo.

4) I'm specifically looking for feedback on whether the USB(UAC2) issues are fixed in Linux kernel 4.4.8

Be sure to read the updated Setup instructions to learn how to make use of the new capabilities.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Tim