IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Many thanks all for the replys, but would appear some differing opinions here. Then again this is a forum :)

i appreciate the aurender wont physically change my flac files, but if they are processed through some form of MQA filter/decoder not sure, then surely this would alter the sound. 

Maybe if it doesnt detect an MQA file its switches any filter/decoder off.

I may ping Aurender a mail and get it from the horses mouth so to speak. Thanks again for your input.

2 hours ago, isquirrel said:

I have some Bit Perfect Test file's which come with the MSB, so I am going to run those through the Aurender with the MQA switch flipped on and off and see what happens, I have a feeling that they will not play Bit Perfect with the mQA switch enabled. We shall see but this should clear this debate up once and for all. Cannot do it until tonight however. I shall report back here with the results.

Be very interested in the results of your testing.

9 hours ago, isquirrel said:

Okay have tested both high and low res Bit Perfect test tracks they all come up Bit Perfect Pass makes NO difference whether the MQA unfold switch is on or off.

So that means that no normal low or high res files are being affected in any way by the MQA unfold switch.

The only files which are affected and are upsampled are MQA files only.

There you have it.

Many thanks isquirrel for posting your findings. This is good news, and while it is the expected outcome, well its better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again for taking the time.

just out of interest how does the DAC know it’s a bit perfect rip.......:D

45 minutes ago, isquirrel said:

MSB have a built in system whereby you play from whatever your source is, in my case a W20 and the DAC knows from the MSB supplied Bit Perfect Test files wherever it has completed a Bit Perfect success or fail, the display once the file is played, comes up with Pass or Fail on it. 

So your DAC has access to an online database, so it can compare the file thats being played against the online database. That is a great function, never new this was possible. Cheers

6 hours ago, isquirrel said:

Its not on line, the files are on MSB web site under support for the Select DAC. You download them and play them from your source and watch the screen on the DAC. There are no use to anyone who doesn't have a MSB DAC. 

What a great function for them to make available to you. And perfect test then for proving the Aurender does not mess with non MQA files. Thanks again for taking the time and to respond. Very much appreciated.

Apologies for continuing with this but its playing on my mind, if you pardon the pun.

Play one of these MSB provided files through several different streamers and while they will all illuminate the bit perfect light on your MSB DAC, they will undoubtedly sound different depending on the streamer.

im sure there are a myriad of reasons for this, but if they all illuminate the bit perfect light then how is the sound differing. More importantly if they can sound different whilst still being bit perfect, then is it not possible that the Aurender can alter the sound with its MQA filter enabled whilst still indicating bit perfect.

With my simple logic all streamers should sound identical, which is clearly not the case.

Indeed i have an N100 and N10, and as such is very easy to compare, Its quite staggering the difference between the two. Who knows maybe I'll get to try a W20 one of these days.

When you start to question why they sound different though, well it will need someone way more knowledgeable than myself to answer that. Fascinating hobby this.

anyway maybe this is a subject for another thread. 

52 minutes ago, sidvee said:

I recently bought a n100h.  However I am unable to play .iso files.  Any advice on how to play back these files?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Sid

You cant play DSD.ISO files directly you need to extract to somthing like .dsf

there is a free PC utility called iso2dsd which works very well for this purpose.

a friend of mine ripped all my SACD's to ISO using a hacked playstation he got off the net. I was very sceptical about the whole process but they sound superb.

1 hour ago, Vincent1234 said:

It's not needed to convert ISO's yourself as your Aurender will take care of extracting them to individual DSD tracks automatically. All you have to do is simply copy the ISO's to your Aurender and have a little patience. After a while they will be converted to invididual DSD tracks and you are ready to go.

Really?, i never new that. Wish id kept one of the ISO's, would love to try that :D

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jon2020 said:

I may have a good story to tell.

When I brought home the N10 for audition, it was because the power supply of my N100H had suddenly failed with the unit unable to be turned on. So out it went for repairs while I enjoyed the N10 as a substitute. I have described in previous posts how much better the N10 is, compared to the N100H.

Well, after several weeks of bliss with the N10, the dreaded call from my local dealer came yesterday to collect  my N100H which has just been shipped back from S Korea. I felt terrible that I had to return the N10 or pony up for the upgrade. But before a final decision, I should probably relisten to my N100H.

Upon first listen, to my great surprise, I feel the pangs of withdrawal from the N10 ebbing away rapidly. The returned N100H sounds almost as good as the N10! Unbelievable but true! To cut the story short, the "repaired" N100H gets me 95% of the way to the N10. 

I have no idea what Aurender did to the internal power supply but it sounds like they most likely upgraded it substantially to avoid any recurrence of the original problem. And the resultant improvement in SQ is just amazing! 

To all N100H owners, if you happen to have the "misfortune" one day of a failure in the power supply, ship it back and wait to reap the fortunes of the repair upon its return. :)

Enjoy the Music! 

A silver lining if ever there was ??

6 hours ago, jon2020 said:

I can now confirm that Aurender replaced my old unit with the latest version.

In my old unit, the power switch lies outside the power cord socket but the returned unit has the power cord socket outside of the switch, next to the edge. The new manual shows this layout. The difference in the back views can be seen in pics of both earlier and later batches :-

http://www.aurender.com/page/n100h

https://www.audiostream.com/content/aurender-n100h-caching-network-streamer

That Aurender would provide a completely new replacement is indeed a great gesture. They probably feel this to be the right thing to do as mine is still under warranty.  Also, they may have run out of parts for the power supply of the earlier batches.

Kudos to Aurender!

Very interesting indeed Jon, looks like youve had a right result there. And to now be happy after having the N10 for a period of time, well im jealous ?

1 hour ago, jon2020 said:

Foxman50,

I have discovered something interesting.

The lowest most USB port labelled 5V-0.4A below the LAN port sounds much "better" to me than the one meant for the dac at the side which is labelled as 5V-0.1A.

If you have the time, try switching between the 2 ports and let me know if you hear any difference.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Jon.

Jon i thought there was only one USB port available for DAC output, the others being input types. Not that ive ever tried using them for the DAC. 

Its not surprising really Aurender update their devices, i wonder if improvements have been made to the entire range.

Jon you raise many questions to ponder indeed. I have an N100 as well as my N10. The thing is when i have compared the two i have not even considered the outputs being different, not that i had noticed a volume change.

maybe its something i need to revisit.

mind you the N10's advantages, at least to me, are more to do with presentation than detail alone.

As you say questions questions. What a great hobby :)

Jon, can you confirm your new unit is as the Aurender link you supplied and your old unit was as the Audiostream link you supplied.

the reason i ask is my N100 is as the Aurender link, however ive had this for 3 - 4 years. 

Maybe ive misunderstood your comment.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, mjb said:

Should I convert my FLAC collection back to WAV then?

No you should copy a couple of albums and convert to WAV so you can compare to the FLAC version. I store my files in uncompressed FLAC, same file size as WAV, however there is a definite difference between the two.

i prefer the FLAC version it is a little more edgy while the WAV more relaxed. Maybe im just used to the FLAC version.

i do find FLAC slightly easier to work with from meta data point of view.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, mabe said:

Most certainly more than happy.

Although part of the “elderly people” club, I never ever thought that the N10 upgrade can still make that difference (re listening experience).

It`s really easy to use and rock solid too.

“There might always be a way better”, but perhaps – at least for the time being – I`ve arrived.

If there is a better way I've yet to find it, the Aurender user experience is just superb even with the err brown ipad interface

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

If Aurender implement new skins, i hope they include the existing as an option. Part of my decision to purchase an Aurender was on the basis of the software displaying my music in the way it does. I actually couldn't care less what colour it is, it works perfectly for selecting music and thats all it needs to do.

3 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. @Foxman50 - the existing user interface will be the same in terms of functionality. But there will be some different color schemes IN ADDITION to the beloved 😉 brown.

@rwwjr44

@biosailor

Many thanks Ari, that is seriously a relief. The update has been mentioned for some time and has been of concern i must say.

Great to have some input from Aurender on this thread.

14 minutes ago, edje said:

There is one option I miss very bad in the Aurender interface, and that is a stop button beside the pause/play button. I often play an album, but are not able to finish the whole playlist at ance. Only option to stop the music is to clear the album, but I actually wish to just stop the music with the playlist still selected and play the same list the other day again.

Is that something other users recognise?

Isn't this what the pause button does. Whats the difference between pause and stop?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 4:35 PM, Emm said:

Hi Ari

sometimes my N10 during playback shows the message “Preparing Aurender”.

during this the Aurender is not controlled anymore by the conductor and this state can last some minutes.

is this a normal situation?

Never seen this on my N10 or N100, other when ive rebooted them or software update.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

Guys this was totally my bad! Miscommunication between myself and the software team about what features would be included in that release. My apologies! In the mean time, here's a look a the new skins which will be available soon:

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

@AriMargolis This is of great concern to me. Please confirm that the operation is the same as the existing app in the following ways.

1. On the right hand side at present there is an alphabet quick search. 

2. With "album" and "all" selected albums will be ordered by artist then album in alphabetical order.

the above images seem to be random.

thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...