IGNORED

Recommended PC Motherboards

I am currently using an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard for my music server. It has a coaxial S/PDIF digital output but the Realtek ALC883 audio chip only does 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 - no 88.2 or 176.4. Can someone recommend an Intel compatible motherboard that has a coaxial S/PDIF out and does 88.2 and 176.4, preferably with video onboard. Thanks.

Unless you are able to look at the Lynx cad, I think your best bet for a sound card would be the ESI Juli@ or possibly the EMu 1010 card.

I've never tested, but I suspect both of these cards would offer a lower jitter output than the SPDIF off a motherboard as they will hav their own independent clock where as a motherboard SPDIF is probably derived from the main clocks within the PC.

The other advantage of the ESI or EMu cards is that, being pro-audio cards, both are supporte with ASIO drivers which will enable you to bypass the KMixer / Widows Vista audio sub-systems (if using ASIO compatible playback devices).

As far as I can see these are the main advantages, though you could add the ease of adding a PCI card vs. replacing a motherboard as another factor.

Just my thoughts

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"I've never tested, but I suspect both of these cards would offer a lower jitter output than the SPDIF off a motherboard as they will have their own independent clock where as a motherboard SPDIF is probably derived from the main clocks within the PC."

Sounds like a compelling reason to go the sound card route. I think the ESI Juli@ is preferable to the EM-U cards as it auto-adjusts sampling rates.

Your right about the EM-U card. Also look at the RME Card. I'm using the Lynx L22 analog out and it is really something to consider. My co founder wrote a review after he heard it for our site because it hard to tell people why something cost that much. Let me know if you like a direct link to his comments. I also spoke with Lynx about the card at length and they advised that if we were not going into a 5k dac to use the analog out. I took a chance (because my co founder is an aes16/berkley type guy) and I really love that card. FYI I did not care for the digital out and it would not always sync with the processor. After some tests with Lynx, we deemed the digital issue to be related to the processor.

"One thing to keep in mind is that there's no free lunch. On-board sound from a motherboard doesn't even compare to a quality card like the Lynx. All audio devices that handle 24/192 are not equal just like all cars that go 120 mph are not equal."

Clearly, the cost no object card of choice is the Lynx AES16. I'm exploring alternatives.

I do not have any recommendation that fits your need. But I can advice you not to look closer at Intel's Desktop Boards.

Intel used to make pretty good motherboards, but not anymore. They are using cheap cooling grilles for the chip sets causing them to get insanely hot. Like 92 degrees C within spec.

Also the onboard IDT Audio only supports 48 kHz spdif out.