IGNORED

Need Ideas/Assistance on DLNA Renderer

I have been Googling and reading threads here till my eyes have glazed over, so I thought I would ask for some help/ideas.

I have recently done a major overhaul of my HT rig and am once again interested in high quality music playback as well as movies. I was a serious audiophile many years ago (Quad ESL63, Vandersteen, Maggie's, CJ & ARC tube electronics, etc), but have recently been scratching that itch with a dedicated headphone rig (HD650's, Woo WA-2, Rega DAC, Mac Mini w A+).

My revamped main system is now B&W CM9s2 (front), CM8s2 (surrounds), CMC, Hsu VTF-15, Emo XPA-5, Emo XMC-1 with another Mini (2011 server i7 quad w SSD's) with A+ using the XMC DAC via USB.

I am interested in replacing the Mini with some sort of DLNA DMR appliance for reasons of SQ and simplicity. I presently have all of my music on a QNAP NAS. I am not currently concerned too much with DSD.

The options I know of are:

1. Oppo BDP-103/105 with JRiver/JRemote
  2. Aurilic Aires LE (non-LE is a bit beyond my price threshold)
  3. Moon Mint
  4. Marantz NA8005
  5. Start hacking the MIni and wait for A+ iOS app. By the time I go the full monty on that, I will have as much or more invested as a dedicated DMR
  6. Sonore Rendu standard (Signature is out of my price range)

Am I missing an option here? The Oppo is attractive from a price and compactness standpoint (replace my current Sony BDP and remove the Mini from the cabinet), but I have doubts about the SQ. Opinions & suggestions are welcome.

I should add that the XMC has AES/EBU, S/PDIF, optical and USB input, so no restrictions there.

Keith

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

Keith - well it looks like your research was quite thorough in terms of the many options available.

Question for you, do you own an iPad, you would need that to configure the Aries ( at least till an Android version of the control software is released ) ?

Something also to consider beyond the hardware is the software interface, on other words, the control software to locate your albums and artists, create playlists, etc.

Not sure what your price point may be, but I can attest to the quality of the Aries from both a hardware and control software perspective ( plus you can choose to use other control software beyond the Auralic Lightning DS iPad application. But again if you do not have an iPad then it is a non starter.

BTW I see you listed the OPPO 103/105 with JRIVER/JRemote which I assume would mean keeping your Mac Mini?

Oh and best of luck on the journey, simplifying one's setup can be a wonderful thing.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

The only thing I'll add regarding the ARIES is that the Android App should be out by next week. FWIW.

This will be a big week for ARIES user. ARIES firmware 2.1 is now available for update while Lightning DS 1.7 is coming this weekend. The first beta version of Android cell phone Lightning DS will also come within a week.

As the change log of new firmware is way too long to present here, we have prepared for a release notice for your information. Please download the document though the following link

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

We are iOS users, so iPad control apps are preferred. I need at least one Mini running anyway for iTunes to serve up movies for the Apple TV's in the house. I can certainly put JRiver or Minimserver on there as well.

I tried Amarra 3.0.3 today (haven't used it since 2.3) and I felt it was a big improvement over A+, so I'm feeling better about keeping the Mini solution already :-)

I guess what I really want to know is how the Oppo sounds as a DMR compared to a Mini or Aries? The other missing data is where the standard Rendu or Marantz fits in SQ-wise compared to the Aries or Mini?

I really would like to keep this under $1000, although I might go a bit higher. The Rendu Sig or the Krell/Linn/Naim stuff is way out of my comfort zone as far as price.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Well, I just ordered a Aries Deluxe (or whatever the one is called with the LPS & upgraded clocks), should be here later this week. Dealer is going to install 2.1 on it before shipping.

I have had few hiccups requiring a reboot of the Mini and I'm over trying to wrestle with a computer in the HT system (and yes, I realize the Aries is a computer too).

Guess I need to find a reasonably priced AES/EBU cable to try as well (I have cables for USB & S/PDIF)

Well, I just ordered a Aries Deluxe (or whatever the one is called with the LPS & upgraded clocks), should be here later this week. Dealer is going to install 2.1 on it before shipping.

I have had few hiccups requiring a reboot of the Mini and I'm over trying to wrestle with a computer in the HT system (and yes, I realize the Aries is a computer too).

Guess I need to find a reasonably priced AES/EBU cable to try as well (I have cables for USB & S/PDIF)

Bluejeanscable.com

Got an email from the dealer (Charles @ Sight+Sound Gallery in Atlanta) that the Aries was shipped today in spite of the ice storm overnight. Should be here Thursday. Charles updated the firmware to 2.1, checked everything out and went the extra mile to make sure I received it this week. First time purchasing from these guys but so far it has been smooth sailing.

Rearranged my cabinet to make room and dug out my collection of Sorbothane feet and cones in preparation. I have a bunch of lead ingots I will try as weight on top, and also still have a couple VPI Magic Bricks from the old days. Apparently I can load minimserver on my QNAP NAS, so I guess I need to get busy with that.