IGNORED

Playing 24/96 etc FLAC files

Hello folks

I have been using a mac-mini plus 2 drobo DAS devices playing through a dragonfly DAC and powered B&O speakers very successfully for a couple of years. The music quality that I get is excellent, or at least "good enough for me". Once I set up my latest config I binned itunes for Plex because of the generally better looking interface and also the ability to play non-apple formats. I have a large music library which is a mix of FLAC and Apple Lossless files.

Here's my question: I can't see a simple way of playing HDtracks 24/96 files using my existing configuration. The mac (or is it Plex?) simple outputs everything to CD quality unless I manually change the HDI settings every time.

Is there a reasonable way of being able to play CD quality files, HD quality files etc with auto detection of the quality of the file? Do I need to change Plex for something else?

Very grateful for any pointers please!

there are several software packages for you MAC that will let you do this. Audirvana is one. JRiver for MAC is another. There are others. I will let the users chime in on each one and why they prefer it.

Hello folks

I have been using a mac-mini plus 2 drobo DAS devices playing through a dragonfly DAC and powered B&O speakers very successfully for a couple of years. The music quality that I get is excellent, or at least "good enough for me". Once I set up my latest config I binned itunes for Plex because of the generally better looking interface and also the ability to play non-apple formats. I have a large music library which is a mix of FLAC and Apple Lossless files.

Here's my question: I can't see a simple way of playing HDtracks 24/96 files using my existing configuration. The mac (or is it Plex?) simple outputs everything to CD quality unless I manually change the HDI settings every time.

Is there a reasonable way of being able to play CD quality files, HD quality files etc with auto detection of the quality of the file? Do I need to change Plex for something else?

Very grateful for any pointers please!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks firedog that's great. I've had a quick look at both JRiver and audirvana and the JRiver player looks (at first glance) to be the little more snazzy of the two. It's a shame that Plex can't do this because it looks great displayed on a large screen TV (which acts effectively as my monitor). Any other suggestions as to what to replace Plex with greatly appreciated.

If you use JRiver in theater view it will give you a similar 10 foot experience on your big screen like Plex.

Agreed. JRiver looks great running in theater view on a large screen tv, plus it's customizable to grab artist pictures from the internet or show tracks playing, playlist, etc. etc. I believe you can also browse theater view with a media remote so that you don't need to use a mouse and keyboard.

On the Mac Amarra will sound better than JRiver in my opinion, but does not handle DSD. Audivarna is another good one that does.

But you might just want to change a Plex setting to not transpose everything. This should allow you to playback most formats except DSD. Edit- I probably should have asked whether you use Plex in UPnP mode.

On the Mac Amarra will sound better than JRiver in my opinion, but does not handle DSD. Audivarna is another good one that does.

But you might just want to change a Plex setting to not transpose everything. This should allow you to playback most formats except DSD. Edit- I probably should have asked whether you use Plex in UPnP mode.

Amarra doesn't have it's own library management, and when you use it as iTunes add on you cannot play flac.

thansk for this tranz. i sadly have no idea what DSD Or UpnP are! i've now got JR working although I did need to fiddle with the settings for 24/96 as advised on their forums for an early dragonfly.

thanks all