IGNORED

using cue files in foobar2000

mike1127

I'm using foobar2000 on a couple different w7 laptops. One is foobar2000 v 1.3.3 and one is v 1.3.7 and having a problem with reading .cue files.

Some of my .flac files are single files with an entire CD image and I have one .cue file for each one. I am having some sporadic behavior with foobar2000... sometimes it seems to automatically split the CD into tracks, and sometimes not.

I have a kind of hack solution that works on the foobar 1.3.3 computer. When I navigate with Windows Explorer to the folder containing the .cue file, and right-click on it and select "Open With Foobar2000," the default playlist suddenly shows all the tracks. But that isn't an ideal solution... I would like it to be automatic, plus it doesn't work at all on my other laptop.

Any ideas how to make foobar recognize the presence of a .cue file?

Mike

Mike,

why don't you split the (flac-)files into single tracks?

(and keep the single flac and cue files - if needed - on an additional drive for future reference)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Mike,

why don't you split the (flac-)files into single tracks?

(and keep the single flac and cue files - if needed - on an additional drive for future reference)

Sounds good. I tried using Cuetools but ran into a problem.. it only split the first three tracks out. There are seven remaining tracks. Maybe there's a bug in Cuetools, maybe I have a corrupt flac or cue file. Do you recommend a splitter other than Cuetools? I read bad things about Medieval's tools.

This flac is a download so I don't have the original CD.

Mike

You could use foobar for the splitting.

To load the cue file go to:

file / load file

Foobar will open the cue file (and the corresponding flac file), and should show the single tracks then.

Now just select all the tracks (you can also select the whole album), right-click and choose "convert" / "..." from the dropdown menu.

You could now choose your prefered output format (here it would be flac), set the needed settings for your format (i.e. for CDs that would be "Output bit depth" 16Bit (or auto) and "Dither" to never. And the destination (original folder, or eventually a new one).

After all the settings have been set, you could save this as setup for future use.

If Foobar doesn't show all the tracks, there might be a error in the cue file, but that would be another story ... ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

• 1 year later...

I can't get any of the cue files that were given to me to work in Foobar2000. The names of the tracks load in Foobar2000 if I right-click on the cue file in Windows Explorer and select "open with Foobar2000" but the tracks produce error messages if I try to play them. Is there more than one cue file format?

I can't get any of the cue files that were given to me to work in Foobar2000. The names of the tracks load in Foobar2000 if I right-click on the cue file in Windows Explorer and select "open with Foobar2000" but the tracks produce error messages if I try to play them. Is there more than one cue file format?

Cue files need music files (with same name) that are referred to in cue file text. AbbeyRoad.cue needs something like AbbeyRoad.flac

"Do you recommend a splitter other than Cuetools? I read bad things about Medieval's tools."

Medieval Cue Splitter should work fine. I've split thousands of albums with it and never had a problem. You should at least try it. After you split an album, it gives you a new cue sheet to go along with the split files.

It could be possible that the *.cue files point to a wrong file(-format).

i.e.: the audio-file is stored as *.flac, but the *.cue file points to a *.wav file.

Maybe you could post screenshots / cue file text copy?

It could be possible that the *.cue files point to a wrong file(-format).

i.e.: the audio-file is stored as *.flac, but the *.cue file points to a *.wav file.

Yes, that's a classic problem, people ripping a CD to a wav file and creating the cue file which refers to the wav in the FILE section, and then converting the wav to flac. This procedure comes from the old filesharing days when people used to burn audio CD-Rs from such downloads, after converting the flac back to wav.

In that case, one needs to open the cue file with any text editor and check the FILE entry is the same as the actual name of the music file

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)

Claude

"Do you recommend a splitter other than Cuetools? I read bad things about Medieval's tools."

Medieval Cue Splitter should work fine. I've split thousands of albums with it and never had a problem. You should at least try it. After you split an album, it gives you a new cue sheet to go along with the split files.

The theme is old, but we must make it clear that although you do not hear problems, Medieval Cue Splitter does not work properly.

Does not divide tracks in the exact points indicated in cuesheet: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,57563.msg683198.html#msg683198

Use Cuetools or Foobar or shntool, etc.

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)