IGNORED

connecting mac to rec.

I think you can use usb out from you Mac to the receiver. This would give you a greater range of file formats and possibly better sound. If you go that route a good quality usb cable makes a difference.
Not sure I follow this statement.

Firstly, the OP's receiver doesn't have an async USB DAC input (USB B socket), so doesn't support USB audio. It does have a USB storage input (USB A socket), for playing back music files contained in a connected USB HDD, memory stick, etc.

Secondly, how does using USB audio give you a greater range of file formats compared to using the Mac's optical output or even the Mac's headphone output? Surely, the file formats you can use depend on the music player software you are using on the Mac, not the audio output you are using on it.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I have a yamaha rx-a2040 rec. which has a built in dac and i have a late 2013 iMac ...

right now I'm using the headphone output to my rec. via rca cable.. whats the best for optimal sound?

what about usb a to a?

Hi instantk,

I've noticed that your receiver supports network streaming, by either using AirPlay or UPnP/DLNA. So an alternative for optimal sound, IMO, would be to use your home network, either wired or by WiFi. It also means you don't have to tether your Mac to the receiver with an audio cable. What music software are you currently using and what are the music file formats? It'll help determine the best streaming method to use (ie AirPlay or UPnP).

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

No. With network streaming all the music playback is in the receiver outputing the audio signal to its direct connection to its own internal DAC. This gives you the best chance of sound quality than having the playback from software on the Mac with the audio signal going out by connected cable to the receiver's DAC, IMO.

As you are using iTunes as your music player, then the ideal would be to stream using AirPlay. You should be able to set your receiver as the 'AirPlay speaker' to stream to.

-- Jo Cox

There should be no loss in sound quality, so long as the Apple lossless (ALAC) files you are playing back on the Mac are of CD quality resolutions (ie 16bit/44.1kHz) and not hi-res. AirPlay actually streams using ALAC format at 16/44.1kHz.

-- Jo Cox

Start out with a $10 HDMI or similarly priced optical cable like the amazon one you linked. Either will likely work fine. I'm almost certain the USB option won't work with your receiver. The 3.5 mm analogue output from the mini is also a digital optical output, so when you plug in the mini optical cable end, you will see some red light at the other end.

The need for fancier cables is controversial, at best.

Here are some more details:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/wgscott/absolute-beginners-guide-using-apples-os-x-computer-audio-easy-way-642/

what do you think of a Sonos connect?
It's probably unnecessary in your specific case as your receiver already has network music file streaming capabilities (via UPnP/DLNA), even hi-res (which Sonos doesn't support, BTW). The RX-A2040 also has direct access to some internet streaming services, such as the Pandora service you mentioned.

My advise would be to try the network streaming capabilities you already have (which you can do straight away, for free), then compare the sound quality with using an audio cable (such as one of the $10 cables suggested by wgscott) and take it from there.

-- Jo Cox

ok i have airplay setup... the problem with this rec. is i had to hook up my old monitor via HDMI so i could see the menu...

other problem is i can't download the yamaha controller ap on my iMac but can on my iPhone, not sure why?

also not sure i can tell a difference between the audio headphone jack to RCA on receiver..

and the receiver always try to connect via airplay now,, i can't switch back to the headphone jack.. the receiver always try to connect airplay now

lots of concerns and questions

thanx

ok i got it figured out.. im able to switch between headphone jack and airplay...

I do like the airplay... but when i watch something theres a slight delay between video and audio, they dont match up; im not sure theres a better quality via airplay though...

im going to try the optical cable from Mac to the receiver and the thunderbolt/hdmi cable