IGNORED

Official TIDAL HiFi Streaming Users Thread

I had a 3-month trial subscription via purchase of a Meridian2. I just cancelled it, right before I'd have to pay. The reasons:

1. The only way to listen to the higher-quality stream on my MacBook Pro was via the Chrome browser. Without a standalone app capable of the higher-quality music, this was too cumbersome and annoying.

2. No MQA, despite promises.

3. The real killer, however, was the awful interface in Chrome. Tidal assumes every subscriber listens to rap. I don't. Getting to my own music selections was far too difficult, and I was constantly put off (and frequently offended) by the rap-centric focus of music & videos every time I'd launch Tidal via Chrome.

4. No way I'll pay $20 a month for something like this, despite the sound quality.

I want a high-quality streaming service that gets itself out of the way of my listening.

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One
OPPO HA-1; MERIDIAN Explorer2; MERIDIAN Explorer; & AUDIOQUEST Jitterbugs 
SONY NW-WM1A (Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable for OPPO PM-3)
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Incline speakers & ProSub800 subwoofer
MacBook Pro Retina 15" (13,3); Audirvana Plus 3.x; & AIFF files

3. The real killer, however, was the awful interface in Chrome. Tidal assumes every subscriber listens to rap. I don't. Getting to my own music selections was far too difficult, and I was constantly put off (and frequently offended) by the rap-centric focus of music & videos every time I'd launch Tidal via Chrome.

After I gave some information about my favourite artists I found Tidal made me several nice suggestions.

Plenty of Jazz, classical, World and Blues there to explore. Just a little navigation, nothing too cumbersome for me.

Tidal was very well integrated by Lumin and Kazoo apps. so much so that I suspect Tidal now accounts for more than 50% of my listening selections, relegating my library to 2nd place. Time do discover new and amazing music...

Great times to be a music lover...

I had a 3-month trial subscription via purchase of a Meridian2. I just cancelled it, right before I'd have to pay. The reasons:

1. The only way to listen to the higher-quality stream on my MacBook Pro was via the Chrome browser. Without a standalone app capable of the higher-quality music, this was too cumbersome and annoying.

I want a high-quality streaming service that gets itself out of the way of my listening.

Why didn't the stand alone app that came out about a month ago work for lossless streaming? The interface was almost identical to the Chrome one but you can choose the output right from the app.

And as far as the rap, it seems like it's marketed that way but then I could go to allmusic.com or metracritic.com and find most of the new albums they recommend on Tidal. They were getting all new releases in all genres from whatever records labels that had contracts with.

Not trying to convince you to stay but doesn't seem like we have any other lossless options at the moment. Deezer is only other one in the US and it's tied to Sonos at the moment.

I didn't realize they finally launched a beta app for OS-X. I'll try it now...

(Getting an error report about a helper app every time I launch it; reported it to Tidal.)

Audio-Technica DSR5BT; Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 (balanced); FOCAL Clear (balanced); OPPO PM-3 (Double Helix Molecule 2.0 balanced cable); KEF M500; KEF Space One

JML: i have 2 apps the original app has the version 3.2.3 and is dull color background the second app is brightly colored sort of funky brighter and eye catching and it's version is 1.0.0.515(1.5.1)- they both deliver same sq/flac and have all my playlists favorites etc

what i don't know if the second app is a beta app for osx because i have the second app on my ipad and have for months now

also TIDAL says i am up to date with all versions- so what is this 'beta app'?

have you tried ROON LABS integration with TIDAL? its wonderful

i have no problem with using google chrome and i ignore the gangsta rap suggestions which remind me of a BM(beats music) which ignore and just play what they curate for me and my old MOG playlists

JML: i have 2 apps the original app has the version 3.2.3 and is dull color background the second app is brightly colored sort of funky brighter and eye catching and it's version is 1.0.0.515(1.5.1)- they both deliver same sq/flac and have all my playlists favorites etc

what i don't know if the second app is a beta app for osx because i have the second app on my ipad and have for months now

also TIDAL says i am up to date with all versions- so what is this 'beta app'?

have you tried ROON LABS integration with TIDAL? its wonderful

i have no problem with using google chrome and i ignore the gangsta rap suggestions which remind me of a BM(beats music) which ignore and just play what they curate for me and my old MOG playlists

Tidal discontinued that 3.2.3 app and that's why you don't see any updates. You need to go to Tidal.com and the menu and look for downloads. The new desktop also brings gapless feature that was missing from previous app and I believe mobile versions. It also seems much more stable and responsive than the old version.

For the Mac, I've also been recommending trying it with Amarra sQ. Gives it a little bit better space and sweeter sound. But don't buy sQ since they have an Amarra for Tidal app coming out soon.

I resubscribed, and the standalone app works (as of today, without a startup bug's appearance from earlier this week).