IGNORED

How to improve my streaming setup?

Hi Miggyboys, ecwl

Well, the SOtM SMS-100 and the battery power supply is around that price. Hence the setting of €1000.

I had a chance to listen to the Eastern Electric MiniMax Supreme. My first impression in comparison with the iFi Micro iDSD: more detail in the voice, hearing the uvula... I preferred the tube output at that time. Warm, controlled and a lot of detail. And that was with the DAC fresh out of the box.

Taking a step up with the DAC would be a great way to improve the sound quality. I follow that reasoning. Btw thanks for the list of DACs and streamers/DACs.

About computer hardware & software tweaking, I kinda have the same feeling as you ecwl. If one has the time and enjoys doing that, great. I most of the time wait until there is the tipping point of some success stories. That is how I tried Daphile, PicorePlayer...

I prefer to listen with speakers (Elac 407), but headphone is fun too. It started with the headphone, then the iDSD as a DAC and headphone amplifier. I still like the iDSD a lot. Price/quality/versatility.

My Computer Audiophile profile

Some additional info on a workaround to get the latest LMS on a DiskStation.

The Synology package version that I can install on my Synology NAS is 7.7.3-023.

LMS 7.8 en hoger voor ARM-based nassen (in Dutch)

Synology Forum • View topic - LMS version 7.9 (DSD support)

That would indeed foil my plans... Can someone comment further on this?

Being Squeezebox user since many years I'm biased towards an LMS based solution, mainly because it just works.

But also since new plugins such as Qobuz, WIMP, Tidal,, etc. is implemented very quick.

I have various SB players such as SB3, Transporter, Boombox and Touch. I have a few RPIs and they sound decent with some DACS and with some, it's impossible to get them to work well with. In fact, they are useless with those DACs.

The iDSDs (both Micro and Nano) happens to be one of the DACs where it works well and combined with iUSB it sounds pretty good. However, I recently bought an sMS-100, it is way better then PiCorePlayer even if you compare the sMS-100 with the standard SPSU. I would say that it is even better than the Touch with a good LPSU.

The sMS-100 with a good PSU runs circles around a piCorePlayer (both outputting via USB) with the DACs I have tested it with.

Those are Pro-ject RS Digital Pre Box, Pro-ject DS DAC Box, Emotiva XMC-1, iDSD Nano & iDSD Micro plus Transporter using a SoTM dX-USB-HD (w SCLK) as USB to AES/EBU interface. The piCorePlayer with XMC-1 was simply unbearable and also with the Pro-ject RS, it was pretty bad.

As for LMS, I've run LMS (and it's predecessor) on NAS since 2007 or so, first on DS-2007 and then on DS-1511 it has mostly been running really well, DS-2007 it a pretty slow CPU so browsing music could be a bit slow, but since DSD was implemented I run it on my MacPro. I just cannot be bothered with manual installations on the Sinology but once they have a release with DSD (and other stuff) with the normal package upgrades, I might go back.

Cheers

Johan

Thanks Johan, that's some great info.

Being Squeezebox user since many years I'm biased towards an LMS based solution, mainly because it just works.

But also since new plugins such as Qobuz, WIMP, Tidal,, etc. is implemented very quick.

I have various SB players such as SB3, Transporter, Boombox and Touch. I have a few RPIs and they sound decent with some DACS and with some, it's impossible to get them to work well with. In fact, they are useless with those DACs.

The iDSDs (both Micro and Nano) happens to be one of the DACs where it works well and combined with iUSB it sounds pretty good. However, I recently bought an sMS-100, it is way better then PiCorePlayer even if you compare the sMS-100 with the standard SPSU. I would say that it is even better than the Touch with a good LPSU.

The sMS-100 with a good PSU runs circles around a piCorePlayer (both outputting via USB) with the DACs I have tested it with.

Those are Pro-ject RS Digital Pre Box, Pro-ject DS DAC Box, Emotiva XMC-1, iDSD Nano & iDSD Micro plus Transporter using a SoTM dX-USB-HD (w SCLK) as USB to AES/EBU interface. The piCorePlayer with XMC-1 was simply unbearable and also with the Pro-ject RS, it was pretty bad.

As for LMS, I've run LMS (and it's predecessor) on NAS since 2007 or so, first on DS-2007 and then on DS-1511 it has mostly been running really well, DS-2007 it a pretty slow CPU so browsing music could be a bit slow, but since DSD was implemented I run it on my MacPro. I just cannot be bothered with manual installations on the Sinology but once they have a release with DSD (and other stuff) with the normal package upgrades, I might go back.

Cheers

Johan

Cheers

Johan

Would love to know how RPi with HiFiBerry Digi board (with the galvanic isolation option) compares to the sMS-100... The RPi B+ with Digi+ doesn't require any soldering.

Raspberry Pi B+, HiFi Digi+ with galvanic isolation to SPDIF of Arcam rDAC. MBP with Win7, LMS, and Tidal. iPad with iPeng. NAD amp, PSB Synchrony 2B.

Would love to know how RPi with HiFiBerry Digi board (with the galvanic isolation option) compares to the sMS-100... The RPi B+ with Digi+ doesn't require any soldering.

Such an RPI would probably be on par with an SBT using same DAC and input.

However, since the sMS-100 only have USB out, it would be comparing apples to oranges,

i.e. it would depend on whether the DAC has a better USB implementation than S/PDIF or vice versa.

Waing for the Digi+ board.... :)

Such an RPI would probably be on par with an SBT using same DAC and input.

However, since the sMS-100 only have USB out, it would be comparing apples to oranges,

i.e. it would depend on whether the DAC has a better USB implementation than S/PDIF or vice versa.

Waing for the Digi+ board.... :)

Agreed. When CA reviewed the rDAC they said the USB input was better than the SPDIF especially below 200Hz. However - one of the big complaints about the rDAC was the lack of electrical isolation, and the Digi+ is isolated. So that may or may not help matters. Ahhh, life is complicated... :)

Raspberry Pi B+, HiFi Digi+ with galvanic isolation to SPDIF of Arcam rDAC. MBP with Win7, LMS, and Tidal. iPad with iPeng. NAD amp, PSB Synchrony 2B.

Hi Miggyboys, ecwl

[/color]I prefer to listen with speakers (Elac 407), but headphone is fun too. It started with the headphone, then the iDSD as a DAC and headphone amplifier. I still like the iDSD a lot. Price/quality/versatility.

Hi Solarflight

You've got some nice speakers - what's driving your speakers in terms of amplification?

Miggyboys

HiFi: Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player, Logitech Squeezebox Touch streamer, NAD C350 amplifier, Denon TU-260LII tuner, Technics SL-1200 MKII turntable, Audiolab M-DAC DAC, Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers, Vortexbox music server, QED Silver Anniversary bi wire, Various Ixos / Ecosse interconnects, Optimum stand/rack.

AV: Sharp LC-46LE831E TV (calibrated with DVE), Denon AVR-2310 AV Receiver, Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray player, SkyHD, Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1 speakers, various QED & IXOS interconnects, QED Silver anniversary speaker cable.

Hi Dave,

It looks like the LMS environment supports gapless and dsd playback.

For dsd there are plugins in Daphile

• DSD Player by Kimmo, Triode
  • PlayDSD Audio Files by DPhil

Did some twiddling but haven't got it working

To be checked of course.

BTW, the SMS100 does support Logitech Media Server, when you said LMS I thought you meant a Mac protocol :<)

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Ah, okay. No problem. All those acronyms... Btw I have ordered an SoTM SMS-100 (Amazon Germany).

Motivation were the positieve reviews/experiences I have read about and some (minor) issues with the raspberry/picoreplayer.

Sometimes the raspberry/picoreplayer gave a weird signal (like a very short repeat loop). I assume it was/is the raspberry/picoreplayer as switching off/on the DAC didn't fix it. A restart of squeezelite however solved it. But as wife/kids will play music a more robust setup would be nice.

I'm thinking to use the raspberry/picoreplayer in another room.

BTW, the SMS100 does support Logitech Media Server, when you said LMS I thought you meant a Mac protocol :<)

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone. New member here.

I also have a similar set up: laptop (Daphile) -> USB -> ifi iDSD Micro -> amp+speaker. Music is stored on a ReadyNAS on the home network.

@SolarFlight do you think the MiniMax Supreme is a worthwhile upgrade? I am too considering this DAC. I like the idea of hybrid tube/SS and dual ES9018 chips but the lack of XLR and DSD256/512 does worry me. Can you explain more what's the difference between the DACs?

Try this cheap streamer first for a cost less than $100 before you assume your iFi Micro DAC is at fault (I prefer it to the Raspberry Pi 2 version also on CA site). The iDSD is a lesser DAC than your Micro yet I find it quite enjoyable, even compared to my main system Metrum Octave. None of my DAC's are enjoyable using a PC/laptop for streamer/renderer, only as control point.

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Ah, okay. No problem. All those acronyms... Btw I have ordered an SoTM SMS-100 (Amazon Germany).

Motivation were the positieve reviews/experiences I have read about and some (minor) issues with the raspberry/picoreplayer.

Sometimes the raspberry/picoreplayer gave a weird signal (like a very short repeat loop). I assume it was/is the raspberry/picoreplayer as switching off/on the DAC didn't fix it. A restart of squeezelite however solved it. But as wife/kids will play music a more robust setup would be nice.

I'm thinking to use the raspberry/picoreplayer in another room.

You should be happy with it once its up and configured. I never had a single problem with mine, only sold it because I was planning to buy an Auralic Aries, still saving for that purchase.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hello dynaudio_tube,

Welcome! Not in the condition to write a lot now. Limited internet connection :-)

I have auditioned the minimax supreme and compared with the idsd micro, but not on my system. First impression: more detail, especially in the voices.

I haven't bought a new dac yet. Still contemplating between the minimax supreme, the LKS 3, the lampizator Amber and the teac 503 (soon available).

I have now an uptime audio regen installed. That was a very, very nice upgrade.

A next possible upgrade for me is a hdplex power supply for the sms-100 and the regen.

For the minimax supreme there are some nice upgrade paths (don't have the links handy but there is the possibility for different opamps. There is also a shop in Singapore who do upgrades)

I'm sure that for me getting a dac in a higher category would be a great improvement, but I'm still learning and comparing. So if people have experience with the above mentioned dacs...