IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

My issue is that i'm noticing a sort of distortion in the high frequency range on many tracks on Tidal.

Is this similar to what you hear?

Universal’s Audible Watermark | Matt Montag

For those tracks you found to have distortion, do they all belong to Universal or Sony?

Can you confirm your setup is getting the lossless stream instead of the lossy stream from Tidal?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Gerrit Friderichsohn said:

I am looking forward to streaming Tidal/MQA to a new LG V30. But, I am just a little skeptical that they will not take months to do this flawlessly.

I think V30 is interesting.  What's unclear to me is how V30 actually gets the 24-bit MQA version of Tidal Masters album to stream.  If I'm not mistaken, the official Tidal smartphone apps get the 16-bit non-MQA version even if a Masters album is chosen.  So either Tidal changes its app to unlock a MQA mode only for V30 in the Android app (which is not too likely), or LG writes their own app to get the Tidal MQA stream (which is not mentioned in press release I've read - if their specs include native Tidal support I guess they should mention it).

In the worst case, if a device only supports purchased MQA downloads but not Tidal MQA, then the usefulness is severely limited.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

8 hours ago, wklie said:

In the worst case, if a device only supports purchased MQA downloads but not Tidal MQA, then the usefulness is severely limited.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/09/ifa-2017-hi-res-audio-for-the-mass-market-with-lg-sony-ifi/

The LG V30 is expected to start shipping in October 2017 for around €700.

At time of writing, MQA decoding and rendering only applies to locally-stored MQA files.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, PJ4301 said:

C2BB575F-51FC-4B93-9F5C-3966C820A872.thumb.jpeg.0a5b7aa4498cc4775d899807777e4973.jpeg

I tested the first track of this album from Tidal and it's fully decoding MQA correctly in our Lumin hardware and app.

By the way, I believe the posts above describe a different problem from another non-MQA streamer brand who has recently lost access to 24-bit Tidal Master quality, as I see a user of it mistakenly linked here while discussing that.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@ecwl

I guess skipping should be a different problem from the tag-dependent behavior discussed above.

Please test playback of local MQA files downloaded from 2L website above, which should work.

Then remove the tags, and retry.  See if this:

1. Play or skip

2. If it plays, whether MQA indicator is shown

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@PJ4301Your app update did not solve the problem because the app merely allowed you to browse and add Tidal tracks to the network module (renderer).  The app does not actually do the decoding in a normal UPnP architecture.  The decoding is done in the network module for your hardware.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 8 months later...