IGNORED

AIFF tagging problems

miguelito

Having trouble with AIFF tags in JRiver Media Center (mac version 20.0.14).

Tags are properly read in iTunes, Audirvana 1 / 2, Yate (a tagging app that I use), Tag (app store tagging up - not great).

Yet in JRiver I get info not right.

Anyone having similar issues? Solutions?

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I rip with XLD and add and edit metadata there. I also add/edit metadata in iTunes and JRiver. All of my files are AIFF. I have no problems with metadata no matter where I add/edit the tags.

I rip with XLD as well and try to get all tags correct from the start. I've used iTunes (which is not great b/c some things are not saved in the file itself, you never know) plus Yate, Tag, etc to tag.

I have not used JRiver to tag - it's ok but can it do batch tagging like Yate?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I rip with XLD as well and try to get all tags correct from the start. I've used iTunes (which is not great b/c some things are not saved in the file itself, you never know) plus Yate, Tag, etc to tag.

I have not used JRiver to tag - it's ok but can it do batch tagging like Yate?

My library is fairly complete. I'm only editing additions to my library as they are ripped. My structure for metadata is pretty well set in stone so I don't really have a need to batch edit.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Yate support (Barry) was very helpful. With a dev build I was able to fix my entire library.

Miguel

system pics

Be sure to tell JRiver not to update the data in the files when you import them, or it goes out to the internet and can overwrite the data you probably carefully checked when you ripped the CD. It can be a real good thing in some cases, but mostly, just let JRMC import the files without trying to "fix" them.

-Paul

Having trouble with AIFF tags in JRiver Media Center (mac version 20.0.14).

Tags are properly read in iTunes, Audirvana 1 / 2, Yate (a tagging app that I use), Tag (app store tagging up - not great).

Yet in JRiver I get info not right.

Anyone having similar issues? Solutions?

Thx!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

good,My structure for metadata is pretty well set in stone so I don't really have a need to batch edit.IRgcrh

Mine is as well except at times you discover odd things. For example, I discovered some strange comments in AIFF files introduced by iTunes.

Additionally, AIFF tagging seems to be both fairly strictly documented but fairly inconsistently followed, so you might be ok with an app (iTunes for example is very error-tolerant) and the moment you move to another app that does not cope with oddities well (ie assumes the strict AIFF tagging rules are followed) you will find yourself in need of batch retagging.

I've learned one thing from data (both in my job and with computer music): it is never ever perfect and can always use improvement.

system pics

Mine is as well except at times you discover odd things. For example, I discovered some strange comments in AIFF files introduced by iTunes.

Additionally, AIFF tagging seems to be both fairly strictly documented but fairly inconsistently followed, so you might be ok with an app (iTunes for example is very error-tolerant) and the moment you move to another app that does not cope with oddities well (ie assumes the strict AIFF tagging rules are followed) you will find yourself in need of batch retagging.

I've learned one thing from data (both in my job and with computer music): it is never ever perfect and can always use improvement.

What type of strange comments have you experienced or discovered? How was it determined that iTunes was error tolerant when it comes to tagging? What do you mean by "fairly strictly documented but fairly inconsistently followed"? What are the oddities you speak of? What are the strict AIFF tagging rules you refer to?

I would like to understand these things so I can know what to look out for if I should experience such anomalies.

Frank Zappa
What type of strange comments have you experienced or discovered?

Eg: Use Yate, add the "Comments" section to the viewer (not there by default) and look at comments with the tag "ITUNES_CDDB...". Or use Audirvana2 and look at the metadata comments (that's actually how I found this).

How was it determined that iTunes was error tolerant when it comes to tagging? What do you mean by "fairly strictly documented but fairly inconsistently followed"?

iTunes is known to cope with oddities better than other apps. I say this from personal experience as well as others. Just check for example the Audirvana release notes: you will find lots of coping with AIFF oddities.

One example (I don't know the full detail): The AIFF tag is supposed to contain the file size (why? beats me). It looks like some of the pukes in minimserver are due to this not matching the actual size - and it will simply not serve the file.

I would like to understand these things so I can know what to look out for if I should experience such anomalies.

There must be some AIFF tagging doc around. Google is your friend. However, I'm not sure how you're going to cope with the oddities as they are generally not within our reach to fix them.

system pics

Eg: Use Yate, add the "Comments" section to the viewer (not there by default) and look at comments with the tag "ITUNES_CDDB...". Or use Audirvana2 and look at the metadata comments (that's actually how I found this).

iTunes is known to cope with oddities better than other apps. I say this from personal experience as well as others. Just check for example the Audirvana release notes: you will find lots of coping with AIFF oddities.

One example (I don't know the full detail): The AIFF tag is supposed to contain the file size (why? beats me). It looks like some of the pukes in minimserver are due to this not matching the actual size - and it will simply not serve the file.

There must be some AIFF tagging doc around. Google is your friend. However, I'm not sure how you're going to cope with the oddities as they are generally not within our reach to fix them.

I believe all that is showing is identifying that the data was pulled from the CDDB site. In other tools you have options to select the source of the metadata. I believe iTunes is defaulted. I have never had anything like that show up in any Comments field in iTunes, Audivrana 2.0 or JRiver along with the ripping tools I have used (MAX, XLD, iTunes, or dbPoweramp for Mac which I have only begun to investigate for ripping. I have not yet tried the JRiver for Mac ripping tool.)

I truly am not challenging or arguing with what you have said but simply that in my experience and in my reading I have come across the level of issues you claimed. I will say when I first transcoded my ALAC files to AIFF I did have a challenge with some artwork not transferring but I attributed that to the fault that originally I ripped with iTunes and used the Get Album Artwork function which does not embed the art. I thought prior to transcoding I had fixed all my art to be embedded but I may have missed a couple of dozen in 1500 albums at the time or AIFF simply had a problem when I batch converted.

Since that time I have been ripping and transcoding exclusively with XLD and I have not experienced the amount of anomalies that you have. It has worked well for me for the past few years. I certainly don't believe that AIFF is bullet proof nor that iTunes or XLD or JRiver or another software are perfect so I accept a small "blip" every now and then. They are very few and far between and I simply make the minor correction as needed an move on. It is a matter of seconds to make any correction.

Frank Zappa