IGNORED

Minimserver & AIFF issue: unexpected end of file...

I am using minimserver (v 0.8.2 update 42). My files are either dsf (no problem with these) or aiff (possible problems). In some aiff files I get an error such as:

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 32150370 in file ...

All aiff files were created with XLD (version previous to latest), either CD rips or transcoded from FLAC. I think I have one HDTracks aiff file that has this error.

There's a post on the minimserver forum about this and the reply was that there's an issue with the file compared to the strict interpretation of the aiff spec. However, these files play in every single player I've used them in (iTunes, Audirvana, Amarra, JRiver, Pure Music). So I am wondering if it wouldn't make sense to make minimserver a bit error tolerant...

Additionally, I tried using the current version of XLD and transcode aiff to aiff (huh? :) ) and the resulting file does NOT have the error.

So couple of questions:

1- Anyone experienced this error? Solution?

2- Is there a way to make minimserver not show and error?

3- Should I use another DLNA server? I need it to expose dsf files.

Just FYI, this is for an Auralic Aries setup.

Thx!

Miguel

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Re-encoding with dbpoweramp in aiff remove the errors....but as far as I,can remember it should have been fixed after the 0.72 version

I had the same problem with WAV files. Re-encoding with dbpoweramp fixed the problem. All of the files I checked for DR with JRiver were affected. What is interesting that only Minimserver was affected.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I had the same problem with WAV files. Re-encoding with dbpoweramp fixed the problem. All of the files I checked for DR with JRiver were affected. What is interesting that only Minimserver was affected.

AIFF files are supposed to support tagging (I thought WAV did not). Interestingly, I just found that importing the files into JRiver does not produce an error, but the proper tag values are not read. For example, I have an album with tags that are properly read by iTunes and Audirvana 2, but not by JRiver or Minimserver.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

AIFF files are supposed to support tagging (I thought WAV did not). Interestingly, I just found that importing the files into JRiver does not produce an error, but the proper tag values are not read. For example, I have an album with tags that are properly read by iTunes and Audirvana 2, but not by JRiver or Minimserver.

Correct WAV does not support tagging. But JRiver will support tagging for these files. Any WAV file that I use JRiver to determine it's DR value will cause Minimserver to issue an error similar to what you received.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to MinimServer and am going through all the "rookie" mistakes and learning curve. That said, I'm getting this error with MinimServer 0.8-update-42 on a wide number of my .AIF files. Here are a couple of examples:

This whole album has the error (it was a download):

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 73477460 in file /Fun/Some Nights/02-Some Nights.aif (length 73477460)

On this album, the rest of the album (tracks 10-19) is loaded, just not the first nine tracks (it was a rip):

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 40663511 in file /Van Morrison/It's Too Late To Stop Now/1-01 Ain't Nothin' You Can Do (Live).aif (length 40663511)

[tracks 1-9]

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 51151079 in file /Van Morrison/It's Too Late To Stop Now/1-09 Domino [Live].aif (length 51151079)

What is so odd to me is that it is all one rip but half the album in question is fine and half is not: tracks 1-9 are a problem, tracks 10-19 are fine.

I use a Mac...does anyone know a workaround that I can use via a Mac?

Thanks,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I use a Mac...does anyone know a workaround that I can use via a Mac?

Could you try using XLD to convert from AIFF to ahem AIFF?

Should create a new file ensuing the headers to the file are correct.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you, Eloise and Distinctive.

First, I've purchased a copy of XLD to experiment with "converting" to see if that works. I'm running a few trials on one album now and if it works, that will be a great result.

Second, I did post a much longer set of questions at the MinimServer forum and have just received a very nice first response that helps me understand what is going on a lot better (a kind of "here is the logic of the error messages you are receiving so you can form a plan of action" type of response). Here is the link in case anyone else is in this situation and can learn from my novice experience: New to MinimServer: where to begin? I am grateful for that guidance, as well, particularly because they were able to confirm I was doing most things right and had specific issues with specific files that I could address.

I will report back...

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

First, I've purchased a copy of XLD to experiment with "converting" to see if that works. I'm running a few trials on one album now and if it works, that will be a great result.

When you say "purchased" I assume you mean you have a donation at the http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html site not paid someone else for a copy.

XLD is available for free. Anyone asking you to pay for it other than the original author asking for donations is possibly a con.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Simon just replied to the thread on MinimServer with a lot of great information.

To report back on my trial conversion mentioned above, I've converted two problem albums using XLD (one 16/44.1 and one 24/44.1) and I also retagged one album with Metadatics. They now both show up on my Lightning DS control point and they do not show up in the error log, either, so that does work very well. So it seems that I have a lot of work to do but it is fairly simple and I have a nice list to know what to work on next.

Thanks for the help, it was spot on!

John

P.S. I didn't "purchase" XLD...I purchased Metadatics (tagger) and donation to XLD ($10 USD).