IGNORED

How to get most out of Chord Hugo

So i am using it with harmonic light USB cable. This makes a nice improvement but would like to hear other ideas...may be a dedicated transport and use Toslink or Spdif. My experience with Spdif on Hugo was not as good as the USB.

But basically looking to improve on my home source player.

Music after life

So i am using it with harmonic light USB cable. This makes a nice improvement but would like to hear other ideas...may be a dedicated transport and use Toslink or Spdif. My experience with Spdif on Hugo was not as good as the USB.

But basically looking to improve on my home source player.

Why not try a dedicated DAC.

If you check out Rob Watts posts on HeadFi you will see he recommends using an Olimex USB isolator with the SD input on the Hugo for redbook (ie most) material if you are using USB. There are several relevant posts. But his preferred input seems to be optical s/pdif, so it probably follows that a decent USB to s/pdif converter might give the best results - and unlike the USB/Olimex/SD path, would give you 24/192 also. Notice also that he is not a great fan of fancy cables. I'd suggest the Olimex is the place to start - it's not very expensive. Then maybe investigate USB to s/pdif converters. Obviously the issues with RF noise and ground plane that Rob Watts talks about will vary between computers. Have to say my Hugo sounds absolutely wonderful with both s/pdif, SD USB+Olimex and HD USB.

Rob prefer Toslink optical, not coaxial - many of us prefer coax and others are adamant that their pricey USB cables are the way to go - you just wont find consensus in that thread and I think that shows that we arent the 'Moonies' that some have painted Hugo owners to be. My major objection to the USB connection is simple - the recessed micro-USB connectors - but it's all water under the bridge now.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I think you have a great Dac but if you most tweak, some affordable options would be a schiit wyrd USB hub, along with an IFI purifier, and for USB/spidif I like the Belcanto products.

I am using amarra with macbook. Sounds like if i switch to a digital transport it might sound even better. Will be doing a test next week to verify that apporach.

Music after life