IGNORED

Mac Mini doesn't recognise Vitus USB DAC

Well I have recently taken delivery of a Vitus RCD-101.

I have been trying to play music from my Mac Mini to via USB to the Vitus but the Mac will not "see" the Vitus.

I have hooked up my Macbook Pro and it shows the Vitus straight away. No worries playing everything via JRiver, iTunes, Audirvana etc from the MBP but no joy from the MM.

Can anyone help me find where the problem is. The Vitus dealer has no idea either.

Thanks.

Try running AudioMIDI, it is located in your Utilities folder on the Mac. Open AudioMIDI and see if it detects the Vitus. If so select it, and try running your Music player software again.

Also you may try using a different USB port on the Mac Mini if you have not done so already.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks guys

Yes already checked audiomidi and sound about 20 times!

My MBP detects the USB input as XMOS something or other (not at home at the moment).

Im thinking maybe it's something to do with Core audio but I need someone with an intimate knowledge of OSX to offer some advice

I had the same (similar) issue with my Mini (2012 i5) and TPA DAC with XMOS USB board.

Assuming you are having the same issue, the easiest fix is to use a simple USB 2.0 hub (powered or not). I initially got a cheap hub ($20) from Office Depot that solved the problem. Eventually got a Schiit Wyrd unit ($99) because having a cheap hub from Office Depot just didn't feel right.

My understanding is the the newer Mini's have USB 3.0 support which is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible to USB 2.0 but not so with the XMOS USB boards.

I had the same (similar) issue with my Mini (2012 i5) and TPA DAC with XMOS USB board.

Assuming you are having the same issue, the easiest fix is to use a simple USB 2.0 hub (powered or not). I initially got a cheap hub ($20) from Office Depot that solved the problem. Eventually got a Schiit Wyrd unit ($99) because having a cheap hub from Office Depot just didn't feel right.

My understanding is the the newer Mini's have USB 3.0 support which is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible to USB 2.0 but not so with the XMOS USB boards.

Yes that sounds like my problem.

Thanks for the help. I'll get a USB hub today and give it a try.