IGNORED

Best option re external storage to buddy up with a Mac book Pro 160GB

Hi All

I know this subject has been covered but I'm still no where near deciding what I should do, so hear goes.

Firstly high sound quality/information integrity is paramount. I've read here not all storage is the same as far as SQ goes...

I need 1TB of storage, I'd say.

I'm running a MB-Pro via USB (mainly) into a Benchmark DAC. So one USB port is being used...

My CD rips are at AIFF.

Is an HDD with USB or firewire to the mac the way to go?

Pros/cons for either?

Do I use Apple's Time Capsule or is there a recommended third party hard drive?

And solid state; is there 1TB of SSD out there?

I'm no 'geek' so the thought of RAID scares me......!

Thanks in advance!

James

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

I agree with Chris, use Firewire 800, if available, if not, Firewire 400.

There are no 1TB flash drives available, or any time soon.

I've had good success with Western Digital Mybook series, I have three in total with nary an issue, except when I singledhandedly discovered a bug in Carbon Copy Cloner, and overwrote an entire (backup) disk expecting to do an incremental update. I must say that I am more than happy with the support I got from Mike Bombich, and STILL use CCC, with no concerns.

Time Capsules are extraordinarily overpriced, IMO. OTOH, I"ve not figured out how to wirelessly back up to the MyBooks, which should be point & click on the Time Capsule. I'm fairly sure it's possible though.

cheers,

clay

Advantages of fw800 are reduced processor load, fast speed, and reduced potential conflict if your Benchmark is on usb. Incidentally have you tried the optical out from your mbp into the Benchmark? I'm not familiar with the Benchmark so don't know if this is possible.

I seriously doubt if you'll get a solid state 1TB drive at a non insane price. Perhaps in a couple of year's time. The good news is that your music data will not degrade in sound quality if you outgrow your current / prospective drive and transfer it onto a newer faster bigger drive in due course. As you have no doubt seen from the debates here and elsewhere, there are many opinions about whether different hard drives affect sound quality, but the integrity of the data isn't high on the list of possible reasons why this might be the case.

Apple's time capsule is ethernet / wireless only afaik. Therefore it rules out being able to compare the same drive connected directly to your computer with it being on a network hub. Cuts down on your options, as well as being an expensive way to get storage space.

Personally I'm having good luck with the Western Digital Essential / Passport range for home use. Mixed results with Lacie (it works, it's fast, but it's darned noisy!) and not at all impressed by Pika One (noisy, slow and unreliable).

Gotta love the Passport for LOTS of great sound while away from home.

A 500Gb Passport, a Macbook Air with SSD, Wavelength Proton, your favorite headphones (Grado for me) and cables (for connecting to another system) and you're good to go. You do have to download music from the Passport to the SSD first, as the Airbook has only one USB port.

Of course, you can also just bring an iPod and a mini-to-RCA cable. :)

clay

Awesome, thanks guys.

You have all confirmed my initial thoughts; firewire it is.

Thanks Chris for the tip on the 'best' drive. I'll be ordering one soon.

Souptin; yes I have tried the optical connection. It was OK (bit 'round'/thick in the low mids though) but I'll leave the optical input on the Benchmark for the CDP as I still use the Musical Fidelity for 'critical' listening sessions.

FWIIW, for day to day use I find the USB a really nice sound.

Even though the jury is out still on the USB connection, I'm more than satisfied with the results.

Top marks to the Benchmark guys.

Cheers

James

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala