IGNORED

Please help, how can I better store my music?

But then I have to invest in a Airport Extreme to,

Correct, you would need to purchase an Airport Extreme so more cost. Basically you are setting up a poor man's NAS. The upside is that if you have other computers for music, all should be able to share the drive.

Also you are keeping a potential source of noise away from your computer. My HDD is 20 ft or so away (i.e. 20 ft Cat6a cable).

I realize this requires several things to fall into place (lots of if's in play) but just wanted to throw it out.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to go with.

I realize this requires several things to fall into place (lots of if's in play) but just wanted to throw it out.

No, it's a very good idea. It's just me being a bit cheap, while it's a lot more fun to buy a real hifi product than just a storage unit. But I guess I just have to swallow the bitter pill of failure.=)

One more last thing, do I need a DC-powered unit or could I get a power over a FW800 to, like with USB?

No, it's a very good idea. It's just me being a bit cheap, while it's a lot more fun to buy a real hifi product than just a storage unit. But I guess I just have to swallow the bitter pill of failure.=)

One more last thing, do I need a DC-powered unit or could I get a power over a FW800 to, like with USB?

See my post #9. All of my drives are bus powered (internally, from the computer) over FireWire. No noisy internal fans or external power supplies to muck things up. FireWire's design actually implements bus-power more effectively than USB.

All of my drives are bus powered (internally, from the computer) over FireWire. No noisy internal fans or external power supplies to muck things up.

Some people have said the exact opposite, that utilising bus power mucks up sound more than an external power supply for an external drive. I guess it all depends on the particular equipment in a system rather than there being a hard and fast rule, one way or the other.

Some people have said the exact opposite, that utilising bus power mucks up sound more than an external power supply for an external drive. I guess it all depends on the particular equipment in a system rather than there being a hard and fast rule, one way or the other.

With my laptop on battery, my entire system is juiced from just two dedicated AC lines (DAC, power amp). It's clean and quiet.