IGNORED

Itunes Album Art and WAV Files..............Again!

tino

Hi,

Am i right in thinking that the only way to attach album art to WAV files in itunes is to add a 1/1000th of a second mp3 file to each album and attach the artwork to that (as posted by someone on here back in august 2008)??

Or have Apple managed to sort this out now, and given us an easier way ??

Thanks...

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII

No software can add album art to a WAV file, nor any other tags, however iTunes can store reference to the album art and other tags in its "library", but this isn't accesable to other apps. iTunes won't read folder.jpg images that Media Monkey and others use - but some third party apps can read the folder.jpg image and combine it within the iTunes library.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Okay - I was wrong ... iTunes doesn't support any album art on WAV files.

I don't think your PC = Media Monkey, Mac = iTunes is relevant ... it's more

iTunes use Apple Lossless or AIFF

Media Monkey use FLAC or WAV

iTunes works fine on Windows, just don't expect it to play nice with WAV files which (IMO) are serious limited for media management as they lack any support for tags.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Okay, tino, here is the deal: take all the wavs you have got, move it to XLD and convert to AIFF, now you can listen the highest quality music and attach any artwork you want!

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

"One extra note, if I may. iTunes is not bit perfect on Windows."

not precisely correct.

iTunes on Windows (as of a recent version) was bit-perfect on 16/44.1 data but had a bug (not sure if fixed yet in most recent release) which truncated to 16 bit on playback of any higher-sampling-rate or longer-wordlength audio samples.

XLD (or Max, another application) will convert FLAC files to AIFF. iTunes won't read FLAC so you can't use that to convert to AIFF. Of course if your source are WAVs then you can convert within iTunes. I think, though haven't tried it ... that XLD will convert folder and sub-folders into Artist and Album details too that iTunes doesn't IIRC.

Eloise

---

• 1 year later...

I do not think that is right..3/4 of my WAV files have art in iTunes..the 75% that the Apple store sells. The remaining 25% are blocked even when I can find the artwork on a non apple site. This appears to be an Apple issue, not a file type one.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Technically WAV files do support embedded metadata including album art. However, virtually no application can embed these tags in a WAV file.

iTunes will not embed tags in a WAV file. It will associate tags and album art with a WAV file using its database. Many applications can associate metadata with files. In the long run this is a losing strategy. Nobody will be using the same application for playback in ten years. Without embedded metadata a new application will not see any metadata or album art.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 4 months later...