IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

50 minutes ago, MarkyRotterdam said:

Has 5.0 beta 2 been pulled? My Aries is still on beta 1 and doesn't update to beta 2, although it is set to receive betas. It says I have the latest firmware.

try turning it completely off (pulling the power chord too) then reboot: had to do it myself as I was in your very same situation and a plain reboot was not helping :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

afaik it was a known issue with earliest firmware version(s) but was fixed afterwards

never heard it on mine, though... when, last year, I *had to* send my Aries to the factory (because a fw update bricked it :mad:) I noticed, once I got it back, a protective sheet on the display which makes me think that, whilst at it, they replaced it

or, maybe, they just placed a protection to avoid scratching the display while working on the unit. who knows? :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Aries "femto" comes with a true Linear Power Supply, not a switching one, and poster I replied to has an Aries femto ;)

headphones system:

6 hours ago, vlomdmdiv said:

Thanks all, I'm planning to use my Aries Femto abroad and didn't want to modify my U.S. true LPS

https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-F200-Travel-Converter/dp/B0045RU68U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493372791&sr=8-2&keywords=220%2F120v+transformer

headphones system:

4 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

The unit I have is a 120V LPS, so I would need an up-converter to 230V instead.

no: you need a step-down transformer as the one I linked

headphones system:

still having the static noise issue on 5.0 betas :mad:

(goes away as soon as I revert to 4.1.0)

all I have been told is it may be due to using an "unqualified power supply" so I tried pulling Vinnie Rossi's Mini Pure-DC-4EVR and using Aries' stock LPS: static noise still there. reported and never heard back

if, as I am fearing, this won't be taken care of... my Aries will become unusable as soon as 5.0 is pushed to everyone (since there's no way to opt-out of automatic updates) 9_9

headphones system:

still having the static noise issue on 5.0 beta4 :(

headphones system:

with my Aries static is there always, as soon as it boots after a fw update: no need to play anything :-/

when something is playing can barely hear it but it's there

never tried upsampling

it's a constant "trrr-trrr-trrr-trrr" pattern that repeats every 5-6 seconds

I also tried, as Chris from Auralic support suggested, using the stock LPS and I have static with it either so... it's not the PS

(btw: Vinnie Rossi's Mini, with its 2.5A continuous 5A max, is way over specced than stock PS)

as soon as I revert to 4.1.0 goes immediately away

headphones system:

what I'm hearing sounds "similar" to the interference I've heard in the past (probably because of my all tubes setup) when I turn Aries' wi-fi on

in fact my first (still unanswered) question to Auralic support has been: "Are you sure wi-fi is completely off, in fw 5.0 betas, when Aries is set to wired only"? :|

Gigabit switch: yes, I'm using one but it's... 50-70cm away. though, again: the issue disappears as soon as I revert to fw 4.1.0 :/

headphones system:

Netgear GS105v2: all metal (and powered by an HD-Plex LPS)

QoS and Flow Control both disabled (FC was causing issues with tracks above 176.4 in Roon)

headphones system:

no, no ethernet isolators :(

switch is connecting just the Aries, NAS and Mac mini (all on LPS) then optical isolation is in place towards the router

but again: never had this issue in more than 1 year I have the Aries and... just reverting to fw 4.1.0 fixes it :|

oh... almost forgot: also tried replacing the USB cable (from Aries out) and while it was disconnected... static noise was still there. definitely sounds as an RFI caused by fw 5.0 only

headphones system:

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

For sure 5.0 is a part of the problem, but likely in combination with something specific in your setup. Still sounds like a ethernet thing to me. Especially since you had issues with it before. Problem like faulty ethernet cables are are also plausible with similar symptoms.

issue I had in the past was a constant and very strong interference when activating Aries' wi-fi network to set it up from scratch after performing a factory reset

ethernet cables are... AQ Vodka :$

headphones system:

2 hours ago, Duke40 said:

Do you get static if you use Airplay (rather than Lightning DS) to the Aries ?  

never tried and... not going to: I use my Aries as Roon endpoint and Lightning DS only to stream Qobuz

headphones system:

2 hours ago, Duke40 said:

Also hear more in the left channel on my headphone rig.

here it starts from the right (speaker) and moves to center (with just a very tiny hint of it going to the left)

headphones system:

ok, will try later this afternoon an unshielded (cat 5 or 6, not sure what I have here)) ethernet cable and report ;)

headphones system:

44 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

issue I had in the past was a constant and very strong interference when activating Aries' wi-fi network to set it up from scratch after performing a factory reset

oh... now I recall... that was when trying to "revive" my Aries after it was bricked by a (... 4.0?) beta fw >:(

headphones system:

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

try to perform an easy test to see if it helps or not. Just cover the metal parts on one side of the plugs with electrical tape (one thin layer) to prevent shield coupling  (AC/DC currents & ground interferences) or change to a unshielded UTP ethernet cable (Cat5 or Cat6/6a UTP) to see if the promblem still persist or not

ok then: just tried and...

- with ethernet disconnected static is still there

- with an UTP cat5 cable instead of the Vodka... static is still there too

:|

btw: USB too was disconnected (only power chord plugged) so it definitely is an RFI, not EMI, issue with fw 5.0 beta

headphones system:

@Cornan I may be wrong but...if static noise is always there even when my Aries is totally disconnected from everything (wi-fi too is disabled) but the LPS (and, btw, Vinnie Rossi's Mini also isolates it completely from the power line)... doesn't this mean it's the Aries itself emitting, *only under fw 5.0*, some RFI that gets picked by my tube pre or amplifier? (I recall the day I placed a RaspberryPi close to the preamplifier, with the HDMI port towards it... plenty of *loud* static)

what I should, probably, try is moving the Aries away from my tubes stuff (at the moment it is some 40cm away, on a lower shelf) but... it's not easy :(

... or shielding it with... aluminum foil, will that do for a shielding? :|

headphones system:

got a reply from Chris (Auralic support) just now, asking me (once more 9_9) if this is happening with stock LPS or Vinnie's

so... looks they are investigating:)

headphones system:

performed today some more tests and found... definitely it's the Aries emitting, under fw 5.0 beta only, some sort of RFI which gets picked by my tube preamplifier :|

in fact static noise becomes stronger (louder) if I move the Aries very close to my preamplifier and goes away by placing it on a lower shelf, underneath the one where a Metrum Hex is (DAC's big metal box acting, probably, as a shield. placing instead the Aries 1mt away, but still "in sight" of the pre, does not help)

hope they can fix this :(

oh, and... with the Aries placed where I usually keep it... static, using stock LPS, is a little louder than when using instead Vinnie Rossi's Mini to power it

headphones system:

try signing out of beta, from Lightning DS, then sign in again

headphones system:

please also report issues to Auralic (that's what betas are for ;) ) as... I was told I am, so, far the only one reporting static noise  :|

headphones system:

one more beta 4 issue (already reported to Auralic for beta1 :|):

my NAS is set to sleep every night at 3.00AM

if I forget to turn the Aries off (never had to with previous firmwares) then the library is emptied (Total Tracks -> 0), Path Name reverts to default "SMB" (I had it renamed to "Qnap HS-251") and I must re-scan my whole music collection from scratch :mad:

oh... wait... I also have to reboot the Aries first, else re-scan takes *forever* 9_9

headphones system:

26 minutes ago, Tuning said:

I only set it to sleep after 30 mins without operation. I have not noticed the symptom. Will check it out.

not the HDs (mines are set to *never* spin down): the NAS itself (must use WakeOnLan command, or briefly press power button, before using it, afterwards) ;)

headphones system: