IGNORED

The classic shop Beethoven's 9th (LSO)

I only have this recording on SACD, which is really terrific, performance-wise. Sound quality is good, too, though you have to make some allowances for the dryish acoustics of the Barbican Hall in London. Still, the closely mic'd orchestra makes for some very exciting listening.

To answer your question, I can't say whether it's 24-bit or not, but other LSO Live recordings I've purchased from The Classical Shop have been 24-bit.

Incidentally, this recording is a bit cheaper at Hyperion Records (and cheaper yet if you pre-pay). See link below. Their download speeds are MUCH faster than The Classical Shop's.

Beethoven: Symphony No 9 - LSO0592 - Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) - Hyperion Records - MP3 and Lossless downloads

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Thanks for the link. It is at least my second-favorite version of the 9th. (I'm still kind of partial to the Böhm one). I will give it a try. I hope it isn't really only 16 bit, or I will feel really dumb for buying it twice. At least £10 won't break the bank.

It is my absolute favorite version of the 6th, FWIW.

How about the recording sound? I used to have their 24/48 recordings in the past, but some of them were not worth my subscription money. I have Paavo Jarvi cycle for RCA, but in redbook, so wondering if I should plunge for it? Especially the 9th and 2 & 6 which I like so much.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I've been listening to the LSO Live compilation of symphonies 1-9 on Google Play (320kbps) and they sound great, but i've only found the box set available for download at 16/44. Seems a shame to buy each symphony at $30/each just to get 24/96. The (hybrid) SACD version of that box set is $70 at Amazon. Anyone know where to get the compilation in high-res download?

I've been listening to the LSO Live compilation of symphonies 1-9 on Google Play (320kbps) and they sound great, but i've only found the box set available for download at 16/44. Seems a shame to buy each symphony at $30/each just to get 24/96. The (hybrid) SACD version of that box set is $70 at Amazon. Anyone know where to get the compilation in high-res download?

As I mentioned above, the 24/96 files are selling for quite a bit less at Hyperion Records: £9.75 ($16.68) for each album. It's even cheaper if you do the "pre-pay" option if you buy over a certain amount.

LSO Live - Hyperion Records - CDs, MP3 and Lossless downloads

I've not seen the hi-res files available as a compilation.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Oooh! Thanks for the pointer (and above, sorry I didn't check). Summing all six together would cost, with today's exchange rate, right about $69 for 16/44 and $100 for 24/96.

Still better buy to get the SACDs off Amazon, but they aren't in a format easily portable. That's a high price to pay for convenience.

I haven't heard any of the Beethoven symphonies from the LSO so I can't really comment on them. But If I understand things correctly they will also be available in their native DSD form from nativedsd.com in a while.

Apart from some of their recordings made in ST Pauls, like Mahler's 8th and the Berlioz Reguiem which are 24/96 pcm recordings,the rest recorded in the unfortunately dry and boxy Barbican, are DSD recordings.