IGNORED

Files disappearing from Synology server – a mystery

Thanks David - that makes sense. So what I don't quite understand is do you create the .DSF files first locally on your computer and then copy then to the infamous DSD library, or do you have Audiogate create the files on the infamous DSD library itself?

And question number 2, and sorry for being slow, is once the files are in the DSD library, what do you do next? Just import them and tag them with JRIVER? I assume they are meant to stay in that location?

Oh and BTW if not for the issue of needing to get up and switch the settings on the DAC, you can create a view in JRIVER that just shows DSD files/albums without having to label the albums themselves. You can also create a view that shows everything but .dsf files for your PCM stuff.

My DAC doesn't require flipping a switch between the two types (which is neither here nor there nor meant to impugn the Lampi), but I do manage my library which has a mix of both DSD and PCM by the views I mentioned above.

Regardless, I understand that you prefer the sound of the PCM files converted to DSD. And I totally understand why that being the case you would go about the conversion process. Hopefully JRIVER will be able to help you out!

Barr -- Re: your questions about the process. I use Audiogate (which runs on the Zuma) to take the PCM files from an "Audio transfer" folder on the server and upsample them. I set the export on Audiogate of the .dsf files to put them directly in the DSD Library on the server. (This all happens via ethernet LAN) I didn't want to first store them locally on the Zuma because I was trying to fashion a repeatable process to get this whole deal done (although I am beginning to rue the day I thought of it ;<] and didn't want another file transfer task. Also, the Zuma only has a 125 gb SSD, half of which is used. Since I'm swapping around huge files, I didn't want to risk topping that out.

Before I had these issues, I was then cleaning up all the tagging info in JRiver -- the DSD library indeed was/is the intended permanent library. Once the links started breaking and files being ported to the REcycle bin, all that tagging work was wasted. So I'm not doing any more tagging until I'm convinced the files are going to stay where I put them.

I should say, that except for this tortuous flakiness, the process works very smoothly -- I watched the CPU meter on the Synolgoy while Audiogate was doing its stuff and it never cracked 60%. Files end up very neatly in the DSD Library, if only temporarily.

RE: the PCM and DSD switch, you know, that is a design choice of Lukasz Fikus, the designer. He feels he gets better results keeping the boards distinct, and swears he will never do otherwise. AS good as it sounds, I can't argue with him. He does make the switch remote-controllable, but my unit is not the preamp variety and doesn't have it. -- David

Wow, indeed crazy David, makes no sense at all why this is happening, hopefully someone might have some insight on the JRiver forum to assist.

Or I guess the fallback remains nesting a second folder under the DSD Folder and do all your work and store you permanent library from that location. Which I realize is less than satisfying, and leaves a high level of confidence in your data's integrity.

Ack.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Wow, indeed crazy David, makes no sense at all why this is happening, hopefully someone might have some insight on the JRiver forum to assist.

Or I guess the fallback remains nesting a second folder under the DSD Folder and do all your work and store you permanent library from that location. Which I realize is less than satisfying, and leaves a high level of confidence in your data's integrity.

Ack.

Barr

Barr -- I am going with a trial workaround -- using the subfolder as you mentioned. I'll put a few dozen .dsf files there and see how it goes. But I'm not going to waste time retagging until I'm convinced it really works. Maybe someone at JRiver will have an idea and/or Synology will explain. Everyone's pretty checked out for the 4th, which is not a bad thing. Have a happy and safe one. -- David

To be sure even if the GUI is switched off, the Media server (service) may still be functional. Switch it off from the systray.

ONe and a half --- I couldn't find a media server button in the systray -- if I understand right, this is the lower right bar in the screen. W/ in JRiver, there are Media Network settings. Mine's on Generic DLNA. Is that the service you're referring to? Thanks. -- David

The Answer

Hi -- To all of you who devoted mindshare to helping me troubleshoot this issue, I offer a big and hearty thanks. Glynor at JRiver Interact figured it out.

Files disappearing from Synology server

It turns out not to be a Synology issue, but a quirk of JRiver's database/library system and my misunderstanding of how it works. OK, "user error". I plead guilty, with explanation. Briefly:

JRiver's database files cannot be in the same folder as the media files. In JRiver terminology, its database files folder constitutes the "Library." If you put media files in the designated Library folder, the system will purge them. When you set up the original library, JRiver defaults to the current user's AppData directory. It's highly unlikely any user will also put their media files there as well -- that's why this issue is not common w/ Synology/Jriver users.

But when you create a second library, there is no default -- it asks as you set it up. I thought "Library" meant where the media files go. As JRiver users know, there is a separate selection for folders that you want the program to monitor to auto-import files. The problem arose when I thought those folders and the "Library" were one and the same. Whew!

So I apologize to Synology for venting on them --- their support team was able to duplicate my problems and pinpoint it as a JRiver/user issue.

Thanks again to CA colleagues for their help! -- David

Glad it was solved!! What a pain, right?

It smelled like a JRiver issue, but I never saw the database thing; didn't realize you were trying to load music in there. Glad Glynor saw it! Yeah!

David - so glad to hear of a happy ending on all sides. Now you can get back to enjoying the music!

Barr

Barr --- One of the "good things" about this issue was I never really had to stop listening. And since I was quick to criticize (wrongly, it turned out) Synology, I wanted to use this post for some praise. In terms of all-important functionality, it is truly awesome. I've been streaming 2xDSD files over the LAN from it since October, and there's never been any latency or hiccups in the operation of JRiver or the flow of the music. As I noted in my first post, it is clear that the software and hardware are mature products -- very rare. -- David

David - I think it is great that you took the time to document the resolution to your issue and to put it all in perspective. I think that is a nice touch as far too often threads on various forums (not referring specifically to CA) trail off with no known ending, making it hard for people to draw conclusions. I will second your endorsement, my Synology NAS has performed flawlessly for me as well, and working in conjunction with JRIVER there has been nary a hiccup in the flow of music (save for a few application specific issues in the early days). I too echo your endorsement of both.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Great - my DS412+ is coming in tomorrow. Just what I need, a giant, 16TB file shredder . . .

John -- I'm writing to make sure you read the conclusion of this thread! Not a Synology issue, and I wanted to clear the air. -- David

John -- I'm writing to make sure you read the conclusion of this thread! Not a Synology issue, and I wanted to clear the air. -- David

Yes, thank you very much for the follow-up! Enjoying my new NAS.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

David - I think it is great that you took the time to document the resolution to your issue and to put it all in perspective. I think that is a nice touch as far too often threads on various forums (not referring specifically to CA) trail off with no known ending, making it hard for people to draw conclusions. I will second your endorsement, my Synology NAS has performed flawlessly for me as well, and working in conjunction with JRIVER there has been nary a hiccup in the flow of music (save for a few application specific issues in the early days). I too echo your endorsement of both.

Barr

Barr -- note also that with Chris Connaker's help, I changed the headline. No sense kicking dirt on Synology for something they didn't do -- these threads live on for a long time, and sometimes the only thing people read is the headline. -- David