IGNORED

Is It Possible To Run JRiver Software On An Intel i5 Based Tablet?

As the title says, I'm wondering if this is possible. That processor is relatively powerful even for a laptop. This would greatly simplify one of the scenarios I am considering by eliminating the size, and issues I would have with a full blown PC. I could get by with a DAC, a network/streaming device, the tablet, and a NAS.

Also, the tablet would have 8gb of memory, and based on what I've read, thats sufficient for JRiver.

Yes, absolutely you would be able to do this if it is a windows or linux tablet. Keep in mind you would need wires connecting to your DAC and then on to your amplifier so the convenience of a tablet is somewhat lost as it needs to be connected. A better scenario is a CAPS or NUC in a nice case and an iPad to control it. They are small size and probably take care of the other issues with a full blown PC and the iPad is a great controller using JRemote.

As the title says, I'm wondering if this is possible. That processor is relatively powerful even for a laptop. This would greatly simplify one of the scenarios I am considering by eliminating the size, and issues I would have with a full blown PC. I could get by with a DAC, a network/streaming device, the tablet, and a NAS.

Also, the tablet would have 8gb of memory, and based on what I've read, thats sufficient for JRiver.

Hi KingCrimson

You should be able to use JRiver on the tablet as a controller for the network streamer, but seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, especially if that streamer is going to be the Aries we discussed last time and the NAS has the MinimServer UPnP media server!

Is this still the case?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi KingCrimson

You should be able to use JRiver on the tablet as a controller for the network streamer, but seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, especially if that streamer is going to be the Aries we discussed last time and the NAS has the MinimServer UPnP media server!

Is this still the case?

John

Agreed. He should only need an iPad, or similar Android tablet to run the Lightning app, skipping the pc, correct?

JC

Hey KingCrimson, yes, absolutely it would run off a tablet with an i5, assuming you can load the software of course. From the Intel i5 8gb hints, I assume it is a Microsoft based tablet? I am running a MS Surface Pro tablet with jRiver, sounds wonderful. My CAPS 2.0 is gathering dust in the closet.

I have heavily modified the services running on it, based on the CAD scripts (you can find here under the server forum). It is an original Surface Pro with 4gb of RAM, 128gb SSD and a 128gb SD card. I am not lacking for space, and I can always pull from wifi if I need (I push music files to it over wifi while I am listening).

I would not be concerned with the processor, it doesn't lack power. I even convert DSD to 24/192 on playback, no problems at all in jRiver.

I also have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 I carry with me to and from work, it is my mobile music platform, development and general use ultrabook/tablet. Not in anyway optimized for music, but it still sounds nice. My work environment doesn't warrant a dedicated music server :)

I love the tablet, it fixes the headless display issue with the CAPS servers (you don't miss a display until you need one), and can run on battery power, or plugged in.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

A better scenario is a CAPS or NUC in a nice case and an iPad to control it. They are small size and probably take care of the other issues with a full blown PC and the iPad is a great controller using JRemote.

I am running a MS Surface Pro tablet with jRiver, sounds wonderful. My CAPS 2.0 is gathering dust in the closet.
Folks,

KingCrimson mentioned the use of a network streaming device, which will be doing the music playing and not the i5 tablet (so no actual music playing done by JRiver). In these circumstances the i5 tablet's use would be as a controller device, which JRiver with its built in UPnP/DLNA control point can certainly control the network streamer for playback (assuming the network streamer supports UPnP/DLNA). So any mention of tablets, CAPS or NUCs as devices for music playing is actually irrelevant in this case.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi KingCrimson

Is this still the case?

John

Agreed. He should only need an iPad, or similar Android tablet to run the Lightning app, skipping the pc, correct?

JC

Yes, although the OP did specifically mention use of an Intel i5 tablet as opposed to a full blown (desktop) pc. All speculation here as KingCrimson didn't actually say what governed the choice of having to use a computer, other than one is needed to run JRiver.

It's possible that Auralic may be planning a Windows, Linux or even OS X version of the Lightning application for controlling the Aries streamer, for those preferring to use a computer for control. Other UPnP control point applications are available for computers, eg, Kinsky.

-- Jo Cox

Hi KingCrimson

Is this still the case?

John

John, while still seriously considering the Aries based solution, I was also looking at an alternative that would be significantly expensive. The Aries based system would run me $5k (Aries, + DAC plus NAS), this other option, while still providing very high quality audio, would have run $1,500 or more under that. Thus the question about the tablet, which the second scenario would require, as my situation rules out any full blown pc.

Unfortunately, a one time opportunity for great deal on something that would have allowed me to go with the less expensive scenario has just fallen through. Looks like I am back to the original Aries scenario as my only real option.

Jim

JRiver works quite well on a tablet device, and being a PC, it will work with any hardware you connect to it via USB.

JRiver's Theater View has a skin specifically for touchscreen users.

Chris has a demo of JRiver using Theater View on a touchscreen monitor connected to his PC, though he has not enabled the touchscreen skin for some reason. (this moves a lot of controls to the edges of the screen to make things easier)

Another thing worth mentioning is that an i5 based tablet is excellent for video playback via JRiver.

With iPads and Android tablets, I always have to convert videos before I can play them.

With the Surface Pro tablet, I was able to watch all of the DVDs and Blu-rays in my JRiver library on the device without conversion.