IGNORED

HQ Player

On 11/17/2023 at 12:01 AM, Miska said:

Another thing is possibility to convert it to a linear phase EQ filter.

Why does the phase look so crazy when we convert EQ parameters to with linear phase?

hqp_plot.jpg.2c47df885fe56f7f9128a73beb41ff80.jpg

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

On 11/17/2023 at 12:01 AM, Miska said:

Another thing is possibility to convert it to a linear phase EQ filter. But that has certain down sides which are explained in the manual/help. In short - introduction of pre-ringing in the middle of the audio band. How "bad" it is depends on the particular EQ set.

The introduction of this feature (conversion to linear phase EQ) came totally unexpected and I absolutely appreciate it - many thanks, Miska!

I only apply broad/wide filters with low gain so linear phase doesn't introduce any ringing in my use cases.

In fact I like my EQ sets switched to linear phase better than minimum phase; there's an ever so slight improvement in coherence and soundstage (something I actually don't look for but it's noticable). This goes for my speaker setup - for my heaphones the correction filters are probably too sharp for linear phase; didn't check that yet.

Downside is switching linear phase filters on the fly during playback causes a longer gap of silence (which makes sense, of course).

For those who are interessted here's a nice easy to read (reasonably simplified) guide when/how linear phase is applicable without introducing ringing:

https://cravedsp.com/blog/linear-phase-eq-explained

There's only one section I disagree with: if you use high pass (low cut) filters I wouldn't use linear phase (unless the filter slope is as mild as 6dB/octave). Then again I wouldn't use high pass filters at the low end in a playback system at all (because the phase shift of minimum phase low cut filters push quite some power even into the mid bass area and for my taste that's almost always too much coloration).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, semente said:

Is it possible to create a very slow (e.g. 3dB/octave) high-pass filter on the Matrix (not that Matrix 😁)?

Edit: if I understand correctly the syntax should be for example iir:type=hp;f=80;q=1 but what's the tilt of Q=1?

no. HP and LP filters are fixed 12dB/octave. "Q" defines the resonance (not "tilt"), not the steepness of the filters.

You could create a Dirac Impulse and apply a 3dB/octave HP with a dedicated Equalizer and add that to your existing EQ set in the matrix.

BTW: a HP filter at 80Hz with 3dB/octave slope would affect the whole spectrum 20Hz - 20kHz.

• 1 month later...

@Miska

Re Client:

My main whish for Client (on Mac)…

Currently, in Album View, when you click on an Album Cover, the Album gets loaded into HQP and starts playing (album transport).
I‘d love to be able to click on an Album -> Album content (tracks) get displayed -> I can select to add either the album or a track into the „currently playing“ queue (playlist transport) or to play the entire album (album transport).
In short: I‘d love an album view in Client with the very same operation options like HQPDcontrol.

2 hours ago, semente said:

I've been meaning to say this for several years now: I'd much prefer a slider for volume control. 😇

I prefer the wheel with numerical values - by far! 😉

18 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Similar to the volume wheel in the desktop app?

yes, that‘s what I am referring to.

I prefer volume control as it is - also in Client + HQPDcontrol and I above all I like to see (and adjust) actual dB values.

8 hours ago, semente said:

I use the ↑ ↓ next to the dB input field (because I don't like the wheel), but would prefer a slider for volume control over the current wheel which I find very imprecise and awkward to use.

As long as a slider also let me adjust volume in 1dB steps I'm fine, I think.

On an iPhone sliders are typically a pain to use; since I use HQPDcontrol I much prefer the wheel with dB steps.

On my Mac (HQPDesktop & Client) I hover the mouse cursor over the volume wheel and use the ↑ ↓ keys on the keyboard, which adjusts up or down in 1dB steps (unlike the ↑ ↓ icons next to the dB input field in HQPDesktop which adjust in 0.1dB steps).

For me it's perfectly fine as is.

I do understand the limitations in other use cases, though.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

That is already there. Instead of short-clicking (tapping) album, you long-click (long press / hold) the album and you get that functionality.

wow - never discovered this feature.

Many thanks for clarifying! Works like a charm 🙃

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, MikePid said:

Am I the only that hasn't noticed before that there is Signalyst HQPlayer 5 client for iPad?  No version number or release date.  I'm surprised the App Store was ok with that.  No reviews yet (except the one I just posted now) 🙂

It is very nice!

could you provide a link? Seems I can't find it ...

thx!

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, woshifeng3627 said:

For the library album view list of HQClient, I suggest adding a right click feature to add albums to the HQ desktop playlist.

In album view do not click, but long press on the album icon. A window pops up and you can add either the entire album or single tracks to HQPs play queue

7 minutes ago, woshifeng3627 said:

The operation you mentioned seems to have a bug (…)

Can't I add an album to the playlist while playing?

HQP has two different playback modes:

Album transport and Playlist transport.

If you play an album in Album transport mode (e.g. by short clicking on the album icon in Clients album view) you can‘t add albums or tracks.

If you clear your playlist and add the first album the way I described above („add to playlist“ not „play album“) HQP is running in Transport mode and you can add anything you want.

6 minutes ago, woshifeng3627 said:

It's already 2024, will there still be such an ancient playback mode? How could the playlist transfer mode not display album covers?

Now I can add all the album songs for a concert, but there is no cover display. Why not solve this cover display problem?

I do not have this issue. My album covers all show up correctly independent of the transport mode

11 minutes ago, woshifeng3627 said:

If you can't change, learn to get used to it. Can the album view list of HQplayer Client be arranged alphabetically by artist for local music libraries? It would be best to include sorting by album release date! This would be a better choice! thanks

HQPDcontrol (iOS + Android app) provides almost all the features of Client and you can also sort by Album-Artist->Year (personally I also prefer this sorting)

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes I can add option for this too. I just try to avoid adding too many options/complexity. Most common album sorting is latest first, which Qobuz is also pretty much doing. But if such option is seen really necessary it can be added.

can't say it's "really necessary" ... but I also prefer sorting Artist -> Album by Year ascending from early to recent.

Fortunately that's a sorting option in HQPDcontrol; would be just as cool for Client.

12 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

It maybe a meaningful improvement to you. I hardly care. 

I appreciate feature requests that improve usability. Also regarding new features and functions.

What I do not like (at all) is when features get removed from softwares (this goes for all softwares, not only audio related).

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

But yes, it just sounds like imaging more precised, more like all the pieces are tied together better - coherency. They're not as spread out and completely unlinked.

So without the correction the Cyan2 sounds like sh*t?

🤔😉

17 hours ago, MikePid said:

Turning the DAC correction on (...) bass is stronger

Sure bass is stronger?

Isn't actually rather the high end smoothed (which may lead to the impression of more bass)?