IGNORED

HQ Player

Just tested HQP 4.17 on win 11 pro machine, 11900K, 3060 GPU, multicore DSP is checked.  I can play DSD512 w EC7v2 modulator and so far poly sinc MP, gauss XLA for 44.1-96K base rates.  Well done Jussi.  If I grey multicore DSP I get dropouts every minute or so.  Now 4.14-3 and 4.17 can do the magic at least for my set up.

Add gauss-hires-mp to the can play list

So I finally got Ubuntu 20.04 low latency to work well with hqp 4.17.  playing dsd512 with ec7v2 modulator and various filters.  All sounding very good.  

I do have a couple of issues though.  Near the end of EVERY track playing, say the last 10 seconds or so I get a one second dropout then music plays fine again all the way through the next track until last 10 seconds of it then another one second dropout.  Weird.  I don't think it is thermal throttling.  You can see the dip during the drop out in activity monitor.  Any ideas?

IMG_20220218_150127.thumb.jpg.7b6d1f4d348174c6379eb016984b20ad.jpg

Also dsd1024 plays very slow and with static on top.  It plays perfectly in windows.  Is this a Linux limitation, where it can't play 1024?

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Streaming from Qobuz or HRA? Turn off both Prefetch and Freewheel from Client.

Qobuz through client, I will do the above, as suggested.  Once I get my new tower and AIO cooler and rebuild I'll move roon over to ubuntu as well, that should be even easier.  Today I saw ave temps in windows with 4.17 at 80C on CPU and lots of red in my monitors.  My fan profile in bios is pretty aggressive at those temps running at 100%, is still pretty quiet.

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

You need to install my custom kernel and then it should work.

Where do I find your custom kernel?  I really like 1024 so it is important to be able to play that.

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Is there anything in common regarding for example network? @ericuco @Quadman what kind of network setup do you have? Everything on a common gigabit network? NAA in use?

I am on a wifi network and have been ever since Roon and HQP back in late 15.  Modem is 2 floors above listening room and no ethernet.  Once my Achilles heals up I will run cat 6 down to listening room for ethernet and then maybe play with NAA's

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is now 5.15 series kernel for Ubuntu Focal.

I see it now, Thank you!!.  (your kernel is low latency I assume) I'll set that up and then I'll follow what I did on the Non-jussi focal kernel to complete the HQP.  I hate terminal (total newbie)..    Loving this new stuff you keep giving us.  Big and loud standing ovation to you!!

13 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Strange. Every time I compare DSD256 with ADSM7ECv2 to DSD512 with ASDM7 512+fs, the former wins and it is not close. My DAC is a May KTE…

Room can be a big part of it.  This is the best sounding room I have had my speakers in by far.  That is 8 rooms/houses  my speakers and my buddies almost exactly the same speakers who I set up for him have been in.  Then there is listening tastes and what we value in playback.  Each to their own.  Try DSD512 with gauss XLA as filter and DSD5v2 or the 256f version of it to 256 w EC. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried installing, Jussi's new Ubuntu kernel 5.15.26?  I have tried 2 different times, (PC is an i9-12900K) once with only intel UHD 770 graphics active and a second time with a small cheap Nvidia Geforce GT730 GPU as the graphics processor.  With the Nvidia, before installing Jussi's latest image, I upgraded the graphics driver to an Nvidia driver for this card.  In both instances rebooting after the install of 5.15.26 the PC reboots into a black screen, no video output.  When I reboot and go into grub and select another kernel 5.13 the PC boots into ubuntu and graphics are fine.  If I reboot again and go into grub and try to boot into 5.15.26 (recovery) the PC will not open to the recovery screen.

I just find it odd that two different graphics solutions (UHD 770 and GT730) both throw black screens.  My other PC has a i9-11900K CPU and an Nvidia rtx 3060 GPU and I run Jussi's ubuntu 5.15.16 image and I have zero issues.  I tried Jussi's 5.10.103 image (with the 12900K) and graphics work but the 12900K MB uses 6E wifi and the 5.10 kernel does not support 6E wifi and I have no ethernet in my listening room.

2 hours ago, oldfirm said:

so  I have had to reduce modulator from ASDM7EC to ADSM5EC  and reduce bit rate from  44.1 x512 to 44.1 x 256  .Filter settings are unchanged.

Check HQP settings.  Is your dac 48K rate capable?  I had similar issue.  Make sure 48K DSD is checked under device and that Adaptive output rate is also checked near the bottom.  I guess when I updated to 4.17.2 The default settings kicked in and I ended up with 48K based material being down sampled to 44.1 then up sampled to 512.  This added a extra load on the CPU and caused dropouts for me.  Once I set up as described above all was good again.

I have a question, based on my trials with my 11900K CPU and Nvidia 3060 GPU I find that up sampling to DSD512 with EC7v2 modulators more of a workload on the CPU then upsampling to DSD1024 with Non EC modulators, using the same filter.  I also find with my 11900K and 3060GPU machine if I can successfully upsample to DSD512 w EC7v2 modulator with a filter, then with that same filter I can upsample to DSD1024 with no EC modulator. In simple terms if my machine can do DSD512 EC7v2 with filter X then it can do DSD1024 with filter X without ec modulator.

Today I was testing a 12900K PC I built for my buddy, this PC has no GPU other then intel's house 770 graphics.  When I tested it's DSD512 with EC7v2 modulator capabilities (NO GPU) I was very pleasantly surprised that it was able to do almost every filter combination with 24/192 base rate music.  The only exceptions were Sinc Mx, Sinc L and sinc-Li all extremely demanding filters.  So after the 512 run I tested the same PC with DSD1024 upsampling, ASDM7 512+ modulator and all the filters.  To my surprise many filters were unable to upsample to DSD1024 : poly-sinc-long ip, poly-sinc-xtr*, closed form, closed form-16m, sinc S, sinc M, sinc-Ls, sinc-Lm  all of these filters I was able to upsample to DSD512 w EC7v2 modulator.  (Rate did not matter 16/44.1 to 24/192 none of these worked)

Any idea why so many filters at 1024 were unable to successfully play music on his 12900K, while my personal 11900K machine with 3060 GPU can match what ever I do at 512 w EC7v2, I can do also at 1024.  Seems odd to me.  What does cuda offload help with? modulators or filters?

22 hours ago, Miska said:

On 12900K, please try with both Multicore DSP set to grayed and checked.

I get the same result with MC DSP checked or grayed.  What is strange to me my 11900K machine 1024 upsampling presents a lower CPU core load than dsd512 with EC.  On the 12900K PC it seems the opposite 1024 upsampling seems to present more CPU core load than DSD512 with EC.

How important is GPU ram when it comes to very high rate upsampling (DSd512 w Ec or 1024 wo EC)  One of the reasons I went with the 3060 for my 11900K machine is that it had 12gb ram.  Is 8Gb enough for the current more demanding filters in HQP or does one need significantly more than that?  the 3070, 3070ti, 3080 pretty much have 8-10 GB ram.

4 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

And about newest Mac Studio doing HQPlayer DSD1024 upsampling with ASDM7ECv2?

I think Aerosmith wrote a song about that........Dream on.   Even a intel 12900K with a 3080 GPU can only do a few filters at DSD1024 with EC modulators and I don't think 1024 w EC7v2 is possible with that.  Maybe @El Gaupo could clarify that, as that is his set up.

Ugh Ubuntu can be so frustrating.  Today I installed 22.04 LTS beta, I added the usual plugins you need to run HQPlayer.  Then I went to signalyst web site and downloaded HQP 4.17.2 AMD version and attempted to install it.  Double clicking it in the downloads folder only opened up that folder and showed sub-folders, wtf?  So I selected open with other software and selected software installer.  After entering in the passcode.  I get an error saying this software cannot be installed it is missing these dependencies and there are no dependencies listed.  @Miska any idea what can be going on and preventing me from installing HQP 4.17.2 AMD or 4.17.1 AMD on 22.04 LTS beta?

16 hours ago, ebrandon said:

After:

sudo dpkg -I hqplayer4desktop_4.17.1-80_amd.deb

You get a bunch of missing dependencies, right?

So after that you type:

sudo apt-get -f install

After that HQplayer will be installed.  No need to run dpkg again.

Thank you.  

I got this error message when trying to manually install HQP desktop in 22.04 and it seems to indicate the missing dependency cannot be installed.  Ubuntu version is 22.04 LTS beta.

2127481147_HQPdependicyerrorinUbuntu.thumb.jpg.e66b34656f35b3ef3237a37026d049c8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska does your new linux kernel 5.15.35jl address the no video output I, and I think you, have encountered.  Me with a 12900K CPU and AMD cpu in your case?  Both 5.15.15jl and 5.15.26jl when installed my 12900K with stock intel graphics UHD 770 I got a blank screen with no video.  Low latency ubuntu 5.13.x has no such issues, but of course cannot play DSD1024.  The older 5.10 kernel does not support wifi 6e which the motherboard for the 12900K uses so I can't go back to that.  Thank you!