IGNORED

HQ Player

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you want to start it with other settings, you need to open terminal and set some environment variable values before starting the executable. This can be also written as a script.

How to do?

I only changed the macOS NAA 3561 file name to “NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0 networkaudiod” and opened in Terminal. I did nothing else in Terminal.

I now realise this might not have been what you meant? Maybe that’s why I also had issues with 3561?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/13649-hqplayers-network-audio-adapter/?do=findComment&comment=974209

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

No, changing the file name won't change anything. You need to have that as the command. You can replace the simple "networkaudiod" with full path version. But for future, it is probably simpler to copy the binary to /usr/local/bin since that should be in search path by default.

Alternatively you can first do "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" and then start the binary, but the first one sets the value and starts the binary on single command.

And we have lift-off with macOS 3561 on Mojave 😃

Thanks Jussi.

Any reason why this ""export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" can't be automatic, when opening the "networkaudiod" file?

@Ernie follow the 1st two lines of my screenshot below, in Terminal. You'll need to change the address, depending where you "networkaudiod" file is living on your Mac.

462498554_ScreenShot2019-07-23at7_43_56am.thumb.png.f53004a72bd6457f13446dc209c0f527.png

2102031136_ScreenShot2019-07-23at7_44_13am.thumb.png.b2722552a482c78ce1e2dd38633e4b37.png

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If you are just using that Mac as a dedicated NAA, why not simply boot it with Miska's Linux NAA image?

Yep it's not just a dedicated NAA...  I'm using Mojove for other stuff too.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sounds a lot better that way.  Same for HQP Emebedded versus HQP Desktop on a dedicated machine. :D

It sounds really good. And I have multiple dedicated NAA's already 😉

Like most people these days, I don't just have one listening setup...

3 minutes ago, Ernie said:

I am clearly in over my head so I am going to tell you exactly what I tried and you hopefully can find the mistake.

1)opened terminal and entered command "export NETWORKAUDIOD_IPV6=0" . Clicked box to run in shell

2)double clicked 3.5.6.1 NAA binary---new terminal window opened and process ran (looks the same as the one I sent you that you interpreted as a IPv6 failure

3)chose network audio adapter as backend on HQPlayer

4) found no device in the dropdown below

No, as per 1st two lines of my screenshot, need to do both commands in the same Terminal window.

Don't double click the binary file - enter the command. As mentioned, you'll need to mod the local of your file, not just copy the address of mine. Use my screenshot as a guide.

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

That is not so much related sound quality, rather convenience... ;)

Yes and that's the good reason for having macOS NAA (in my setup). And a side comment was it sounds great too!

Can switch between HQP audio and 'other' macOS audio.

HQP is running on Embedded box, not on the Mac.

I have the same working when I switch to Windows on the same Macbook.

6 hours ago, k6davis said:

that investment is not likely to be made obsolete for a while.

That's what  people that upgraded PC's to finally get xtr filter working at DSD512 without -2s thought.

And then EC modulators came 😁

I don't mind though, so this is not a complaint. Jussi isn't forcing people to use EC modulators or use ext2.

ASDM7/5 didn't suddenly become crap and obsolete. They remain high quality modulators.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, Miska said:

keep the AKM chip in DSD Direct mode. What comes out with/without DSD Direct is vastly different.

Hi @Miska

Can you show your graph measurement of DSD256 into your ADI-2, with & without DSD Direct?

Would be great to visually see this difference you mentioned, to show how different and advantageous it can be when avoiding all DAC chip based DSP & modulator.

1 minute ago, k6davis said:

Actually, I'm not sure about that. 'K' basically means you can overclock the processor. The i7-9700K can do full EC DSD256 without overclocking, so the non-'K' variant should be able to as well.

It didn't cost much more to have the 'K', so I went for it anyway.

I know someone with an i7-8700 that can't do it. But I've seen here i7-8700K can. Hasn't done overclocking.

Not enough info and datapoints to be sure though.

7 minutes ago, k6davis said:

I see what you're saying. I don't know why that would be. Maybe it's the "silicon lottery". 

I mentioned 'not enough info' because it may be due to OS. Perhaps the guy that can do it is running Windows - I would have to double check. I do know the guy that can't is running HQP Embedded, so it could be that difference.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Am I the only one who lost this thread when it turned into never ending reports of each day more powerful motherboards or processors?

Ha, there is a lot lately but unfortunately it's important for getting certain things in HQPlayer to work.

Especially the new EC modulators.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LowOrbit said:

I sold on the AMD setup and sunk my pennies into an i7 9700K on an Asus Tuf Z390 mobo. I can run DSD256 ASDM7EC, with all filter options except Closed Form-16M (I don't generally use the non-apodizing filters, just an experiment). 

No GPU (CUDA offloading)?

18 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Hyperthreading has advantages in my system (i9-9900K). I can run ASDM7EC smoothly with most filters. The CPU utilization is about half lower than without hyperthreading.The cores speed at 4 GHz is much lower, which has a positive effect in my mostly fanless PC on the temperature. After everything I've read here, the i7-9700K has to run with much higher speed (4.7GHz).

Very interesting! Is that with  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC ?

Can anyone else running i9-9900K confirm cores are running at ~4.0 GHz?

With  PCM192kHz to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC

@Ales Prochazka @JTS

2 minutes ago, Ales Prochazka said:

With setting PL1 120W and PL2 160W, poly-sinc-xtr-mp filter and convolution on, the cores run most of the time at ~ 4.7GHz (352.8 ---> DSD256).

That is non-2s right?

So poly-sinc-xtr-mp will be more CPU intensive than ext2?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:33 AM, BCRich said:

Not so well, too much stuttering with the EC Modulators. The Pro is by no means optimized for Audio, I figured the Processing power would be enough. Could be Network related but my Mac Mini is routed through the same switch and I am listening to Larry Carlton through the Mini with these settings....

Check out this thread below for an idea of what's required to successfully run EC modulators at DSD256.

It needs CPU running at over 4 GHz....

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56966-hqplayer4-ec-modulator-tips-and-techniques/

Even the up-coming new Mac Pro 8-core may struggle... Turbo Boost is max 4 GHz.