IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi Miska, 
I have tested the new version but I still have a question about the much larger number of threads than in version 4.10.
At startup, there are almost 100 more threads than in version 4.10 (230 vs 110).
Normal, there are more options (like the APO counter) but if I play with the HQP client and change the filter (for example.), then the number of threads increases to 300. 600... 800, etc ... with each change via HQP client.
They seem to be inactive ... but don't disappear without restarting the program ...
There is no possibility of purging (semaphore system ?).

Thread is waiting for:
Handle 0xfad8 (Semaphore): (unnamed object)

It doesn't seem to have any SQ impact, but my system runs with less than 600 threads in total, so when the number of threads exceeds 2000, I panic ! 😋

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

• 3 weeks later...

About the DB level displayed on my RME :
My RME shows "-3.5db" when I send a direct DSD file (DSD256). (0.0 in pause mode).
I thought it was related to the maximum level chosen in the HQP "settings" but it seems to have nothing to do with that.
@Miska: you have an RME, is this a dac related setting or a consequence ?
I'm going to inject a convolution with an already very low level to avoid clipping but I didn't want to add safety to safety !
And not hear anymore ! 🙃

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

🤪

Help!!! CPU load under 20bits!!!
I'm testing my new dac that I've just put in run-in.
I chose a Musician Pegasus R2R which replaces my RME ADI-2.
For the configuration, it's plug and play with my Allo USBridge under Gentooplayer (usb audio).

So I just changed the 32bits output to 20bits with DSD256, gaussian-xla and ADSM5EC.
I let it run and I come back to see just for fun and there... horror !

CPU at 100% (core i5-8400 which was running at 32 bit at 65% max).

Is this the wrong setting? or is it related to the switch from Roon 64bits to 20? easier to go to 64 > 32.

EDIT :

After investigation... it seems that the problem is related to the radio streams passing through Roon.
Source :192kps stream (AAC or MP3) >> 100% CPU.
If I take HiRes flac, it works without load change (70%).
Same thing for DSD and no problem with Tidal.

I only use radio streams from Roon on my laptop and I haven't tried it for a long time on my living room system with HQP

Do you have a recommendation for my new Musician Pegasus R2R dac?
Proprietary R2R + DSD Architecture True balanced 24BIT R2R + 6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)

http://www.musician-audio.com/en/col.jsp?id=122

For 2 days, I was in DSD256/20bits with sinc-gauss-xla / ASDM5EC
I have just switched to DSD512 (my server does not follow in DSD 1024), still in sinc-gauss-xla but with the bit on "default" setting and in ASDM7512+fs.

Very natural dac, with a lot of presence and impact.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Miska said:

Depends on your filter settings and amount of CPU power you have. You may want to select some lighter filter for "Nx" rates.

That's what I'm doing by switching from gauss-xla to gauss-long for the NX.
However, I can't remember why it is not possible to have the same option for SDM modulators.
This would allow to keep a filter (ex. gauss-xla) and to switch from ASDM7EC to ASDM5EC or without EC for "Nx" rates ?

• 1 month later...

@Miska 

A question, please. 😉
I have made command line shortcuts that I send to HQP Desktop on my server from my laptop and a little freeware that I like that serves as a mini-shell.

No problem to manage the volume, mute or check the level (status).
I'm not sure how to change the configuration settings (ex. with or without convolution) where the configuration file is located ?
In the hqp-control2.exe folder on the control pc or on the server and in which folder.

c:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop>hqp-control2.exe ROON_HDP --configuration-load <file where?? with extension *.xml??>

image.png

9 minutes ago, bogi said:

Miska explained about 2 weeks ago in this thread that hqp-control2 is not able to load configuration file in v4. It was possible in v3.
But you can still switch matrix pipeline presets and for example upsampling filters and PCM/DSD playback mode. I didn't find how to switch modulators though.

For convolution, AFAIK you cannot quickly switch room equalization, which is set in 'Matrix -> Convolution setup' menu. But I also cannot find scenario where it would be useful, since you don't change listening room while your DAC is still connected. And with every change of output device you can load different xml configuration file. I don't know if it can be done remotely (maybe HQPlayer4Desktop.exe accepts settings xml file as parameter, so maybe you find a way to restart it remotely).

For 'Matrix -> Pipeline setup' menu you can create presets and save presets for every useful setup you created. Then you can switch between presets (for example parametric eq like above mentioned tilt filter, 5.1 to stereo, loudness, headphone crossfeed etc.). Then you can use name of the preset.

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --matrix-list
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1050
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1022
Panagement2-volume0.8

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-matrix 0

For filters and PCM/DSD mode, hqp-control2 allows to select an item according to index in list of items, which you can obtain by running the corresponding --get-<something> command. For example

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --get-modes
[0] "[source]" -1
[1] "PCM" 0
[2] "SDM (DSD)" 1

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-mode 2

C:\Users\bogi>

Thanks Bogi, I had missed the info for V4.
I use the HQP Client (with gui) or directly HQP Desktop via TightVNC.
But when I switch to "server light" mode (TighVNC off and services minimal, less than 26), I just need to adjust the volume.
While testing the scripts, I couldn't understand why I couldn't switch between the (already saved) configurations.
Nothing too serious

Thanks again for the work... and for adding to the todo list: 
For settings and switching from one environment to another, it is possible to fix the management via hqcontrol2.exe.
I use it with "windows run-command" to manage HQP faster than with the gui client.
And I switch between a configuration with matrix (convolution) and a version without but with speaker parameters (distance + balance).But the settings.xml file call does not work anymore.

And in the features to be added (if possible), the volume control "up" and "down" is done by increment of 1db.
Could we choose the increment?
ex. ""c:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" ROON_HDP --volume-up 2" for "2db".

image.thumb.png.3f25cf5a20a9e5c242cf08291724495d.png

1 hour ago, Miska said:

The usual pain and suffering trying to develop anything for Windows environment...

Anyway here's an alternative build with slightly tuned build flags, let's see if this is better or worse:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/HQPlayer4Desktop-setup-4140-2.exe

With this version, it's better, but it cuts every 5/7 sec.
With version 4.131, my I5-8400 can output DSD 256 with a long poly-sync-gauss filter and ASDM7EC (44.1 input or 96 Qobuz).
With the 4140, not possible. 93% on the 1st core.

Had to go back down to ASDM5EC (64% on 1st core) : no more cut-off

image.png.081332605661ddb4f0e59d14c4c1772e.png

We will wait quietly ... thanks again !! 👏

And it is forgotten that in DSD 128, everything works without issue. And poly-sinc-gauss-long + ASDM7ECv2 DSD128x48 is excellent...

Ok, I have to try to compare with DSD 256 ASDM5EC (v2 doesn't pass even in 5EC)... The audiophile syndrome !! 🤪

Surprisingly, forced to switch back to DSD128-48 7ECv2 gauss-long, with the new version, I took the opportunity to completely uncheck the multiprocessor DSP.
In the end, I went from 235 threads for HQP to 83.
Ok, it doesn't change much, the CPU load is still the same and I can't switch from DSD256 to 7EC.
But it's still nice to run my machine in light mode: 484 threads in total (with Roon and TightVNC) instead of 656 threads.
I have a hyperlight mode (without tightVNC and the last services off) but I don't have access to the service count and load display anymore (no top/htop in windows).

The I5 is on full blast! 😋

image.thumb.png.6588cb73bcca6722b65f8e0e625b05f8.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bogi said:

... Many DACs don't connect to computer if VBUS is not connected at least for the initial handshake (before any audio data is transferred). Some DACs require VBUS +5V to be connected permanently even if they have their own power supply. ...

Some dac's need 5v but without managing parasites like for example Denafrips which needs 5v to switch the input but with isolation and specific power supply.

Denafrips FAQ

USB receiver is powered by its internal regulated, low noise, low ripple, high speed linear power supply.

However, it needs the USB cable to supply the +5vdc as a logic signal to trigger the internal power supply to the USB receiver. This design is intentional for best sound quality consideration

I have the same thing with my new Musician Pegasus dac (same USB as Denafrips and last USB firmware).
These clicks are heard between different tracks and even 2 or 3 times when a stream stops (I guess, while the buffer is emptying).

This is on DSD.
I haven't checked on PCM but I think it's related to the USB "locking".
I didn't reconnect my RME ADI-2 but I didn't have this problem. However, I was using it with older versions of HQP.
In my situation, I think it's related to the USB lock and I was identifying my new dac, not HQP.
But surprisingly it is the same for you.

Different causes can have identical effects 🤨

On 12/3/2021 at 4:34 PM, Miska said:

Yes, your DAC is not detected. USB input not selected or the DAC not powered up?

I won't pollute this thread but I'm going in circles.
I can't understand why the dac is detected on my Allo USBridge (Rpi3+ Gentoo).

But with a new Rpi4.. nada !! nothing !! 

GentooPlayerRpi ~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audio [USB HiRes Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The RPI4 works and detects a portable iBasso dac on the usb (hw 1,0)
I connect the Pegasus, the USB leds are on. I disconnect it, they go out. I have tested several distributions.

Currently under DietPi with the dietpi-config utility.

I even thought that the RPI4 was underpowered... just in case since the Pegasus like the Denafrips has a usb that works a bit like a trigger. But no, even with 5v direct via an iDefender.

I admit I don't know where to look  

First of all... thanks Miska ! 👏

I have found how to connect to HRA Streaming, but nowhere in the client do I find how to connect to my Qobuz account ?

Just "library" and "HRA" in my drop down menu.

On my "little" i5 8400, I can now switch from 88 to DSD128 ASDM7ECv2 without cutting, whereas before it was cutting. 👍
It still works as well for 44 and 96 but now no more problem for Qobuz playlists in 88 (ECM).

1 hour ago, Zauurx said:

First of all... thanks Miska ! 👏

I have found how to connect to HRA Streaming, but nowhere in the client do I find how to connect to my Qobuz account ?

Just "library" and "HRA" in my drop down menu.

On my "little" i5 8400, I can now switch from 88 to DSD128 ASDM7ECv2 without cutting, whereas before it was cutting. 👍
It still works as well for 44 and 96 but now no more problem for Qobuz playlists in 88 (ECM).

Finally, after a new, fresh installation... i found Qobuz !!

image.png