IGNORED

HQ Player

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar question/confusion myself.  The formats of my library are mainly 44.1kHz Flac and DSF 64.  I convert everything to DSD256*48.  I noticed sometimes, the specs of output were reduced to DSD128.  Of course, I can always change to DSD256*44.1 to achieve DSD256.  The other question which may relate to this is the role of click-box “48K DSD”plays.  In my settings, Mac Mini M1 is used together with NAA with ASEM7EC at Sinc-M.

@MiskaThank you for the great effort of a wonderful product such as HQPlayer.

• 5 months later...

Recently I am experiencing the very low level of pops in the backgrounds of HQPLAYER playback. It is audible enough to be a bit annoying.  I am using Sotm SMS 200 as NAA, Mac Mini M1 with 16GB to execute HQP.  Anyone can suggest what to do to eliminate such pops.  The network traffic shows the stable information flow without interruption.  I have been using HQP about a year and a half now.  This is the first time I constantly encounter the issue.  

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Usually such pops are lost USB packets which are 125µs long. Sometimes problem is at the USB side, sometimes it is caused by hardware and/or software issues (RPi3 as an example). Sometimes it is more likely to happen if 802.3x ethernet flow control is not becoming active and NAA is on a low power device that cannot keep up with sustained gigabit speeds.

@Miska, would you mind elaborating the statement of “802.3x Ethernet flow control is not becoming active?”  What can cause this to happen and what to do to address it.  Thank you.  

12 hours ago, ted_b said:

Has anything (think trivial) changed lately?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Usually such pops are lost USB packets which are 125µs long. Sometimes problem is at the USB side, sometimes it is caused by hardware and/or software issues (RPi3 as an example). Sometimes it is more likely to happen if 802.3x ethernet flow control is not becoming active and NAA is on a low power device that cannot keep up with sustained gigabit speeds.

In recent months, have kept Uptone LPS 1.2 on which is for Sotm SMS 200.  The LPS is very warm.  Maybe it is deterioring?

18 hours ago, Miska said:

10 hours ago, bobflood said:

Try a different power supply. If the LPS 1.2 charge supply is the correct voltage, give that a try. The 1.2 does run warm but that alone is not an indication that it is going bad. Also, the 1.2 may be on the edge of its capacity powering the Sotm and if it has deteriorated even slightly it may no longer be able to keep up.

I power cycled Uptone LMS 1.2.  Appears that the pops disappeared.  I have covered three albums so far.  It has been OK.

18 hours ago, steven.y said:

% networksetup -getmedia en0
Current: 1000baseT <full-duplex flow-control>
Active: 1000baseT <full-duplex flow-control>

or

% ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=50b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,AV,CHANNEL_IO>
	...(snip)...
	media: 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

hope this works!

Steven

Thank you very much, Steven!  I got 

Current:  100baseXT.

what does this mean?  

15 hours ago, steven.y said:

22 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Thank you very much, Steven!  I got 

Current:  100baseXT.

what does this mean?  

Got only "Current: 100baseXT"(100baseTX)? Do you see additional information such as "<full-duplex flow-control>" and also "Active: "?  If you got those outputs (flow-control, Active:), it means that your mac is configured (and connected with) flow control enabled network (IEEE 802.3x standard).

If not, it seems like that your mac (Mac Mini M1 ?)'s device 'en0' is not active network interface.  In this case, first thing you should do is to identify the name of your active network device, such as en0, en1, ....  A command below will show all the network interfaces (and also other kind of devices).

% networksetup -listallhardwareports
Hardware Port: Ethernet
Device: en0
Ethernet Address: 18:81:0e:f0:62:ee

Hardware Port: Wi-Fi
Device: en1
Ethernet Address: a4:83:e7:dc:0e:1e

... (snip)...

Then, use that name to networksetup command

@Miska@steven.y

Current: autoselect 

Active: 100baseTX <full-duplex energy-efficient-Ethernet>

I double-checked the Sotm setting, and I have used 1000base instead of 100base.  Out of curiosity, I changed 

to 100base for Sotm and I got

Active: 1000baseT <full-duplex energy-efficient-Ethernet>.  Now I got stuttering at ASDM7EC with poly-sinc-Gaussian-long or Sinc-M, and DSD.  Under 100baseTX, these parameters work out fine.

The router is ASUS AE5400 wifi 6.

I will share some findings in a couple of days.  Still collecting my thoughts.  :)

10 hours ago, steven.y said:
15 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

How do your connect Mac mini with Sotm?

A flow control feature on/off is setting of network switch (hub).  My guess is that ASUS AX5400 (TUF-AX5400) router/switch does not have flow control feature.

By the way, just in case, check that your ethernet cable (UTP cable) is right one.  It should be category 5e, 6 or 6A.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

You need 1000baseTX and flow-control. Small devices cannot process packets at 1000baseTX speeds without flow-control, it will cause packet loss and subsequent re-sends which is bad and makes situation worse since it increases amount of traffic for no good reason.

The Sotm is connected with Mac Mini using bridge mode.  I have an explanation for the 100Mb/sec now - I have added a DX Plus RF filter between the Mac mini and SotM.  This filters appear to limit the transfer speed below 100Mbs.  I will take it out to see the readings.  With the traffic monitoring from ASUS, the speed between the two is 24Mb/sec at DSD 256 with other HQP setting mentioned yesterday.  All the cables are blue-Jean Cat 6.  The screen shot of traffic flow for HQP playback is shown in attached screen shot, which shows 3MBs speed.  It is certainly not a straight line.  The range covered in the chart is about 10 min.

May I use QoS in ASUS to control the speed between Mac and Sotm?  If so how tight I need to go for the upper and lower range of the transfer rate? The Switch I am using is Netgear Nonmanged GS305.8FA5554A-2C29-4567-BA29-D74CD8501643.thumb.jpeg.18c76f8d9b3c0b1deb09709ffd886fb1.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Hoshi said:

I updated to a MacMini M1 yesterday coming from a 2018 MacMini.  I updated from Big Sur to Monterey running HQP 4.15.1 and am able to successfully play DSD256 -> ply-since-gauss-long -> AMDSDM7ECv2 with Multicore DSP fully checked without any real issues.  I'm also using a MicroRendu.   

I'm currently using Qobuz direct with HQP without using Roon.  My problem is that at the end of a track, while the next track starts to load, I get a "click" or faint "pop" which is caused by the next track loading into the queue.  Using my previous Mac playing DSD128, this anomaly happened occasionally but with the NEW M1 Mac, it happens 100% of the time.  Using Roon, I do not experience this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a setting that needs to be changed?  

I am using SotM as NAA, and music files are located on a NAS.  When I experienced pops, I find powered cycled the NAA helps in my system. I am using Mac Mini M1 for close to a year now, and can achieve the HQP settings you referred currently.