IGNORED

HQ Player

5 minutes ago, Yostin said:

My Quadro M2000M can do that all day long with no stuttering at all but cannot cope with the full on xtr filters so not sure if it's the real stress test.

That is interesting.  Which CPU do you have?

I am just the opposite, can only run up to DSD256 with Closed-form-16M, but no problem with all other non-2s filters to DSD512.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have a bit older Xeon E5v3. But are you getting offload enabled? Please check the status bar message in HQPlayer when starting playback. It is shown for 10 seconds.

I do have CUDA offload enabled, but have not paid attention to the status bar message.  I will check it later today and report back.  As a side note, a friend having same CPU also have the same issue, so I speculate this perhaps is CPU related.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Please check the offload status first. If you don't get offload, then you likely need to update Nvidia driver (CUDA 10 requires IIRC >= 410). If you indeed get offload, then one possibility is that drop in the CPU load leads to sleeping the CPU too much, in such case setting Power Profile to High Performance (or Ultimate Performance) usually helps.

I thought I do have Offload, but will check it again later today to be sure.  Meanwhile, I do have latest Nvida drive, but not sure what CPU power profile I used, so if I don't have either High Performance or Ultimate Performance selected, I will be sure to give that a try.  Thank you for the suggestions.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Please check the offload status first. If you don't get offload, then you likely need to update Nvidia driver (CUDA 10 requires IIRC >= 410). If you indeed get offload, then one possibility is that drop in the CPU load leads to sleeping the CPU too much, in such case setting Power Profile to High Performance (or Ultimate Performance) usually helps.

Thank you, Miska,

I found out offload was disabled, got the Nvidia driver updated to the current version 416.34, and now with offload enabled, I can run "Closed-form-16M" to DSD512, but I have to disable offload in order to run Poly-sinc-xtr to DSD512.

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, dc-audiogeek said:

I'm having issues playing 24/96, 24/192, or other hi-res files through HQPlayer, using a matching resolution or with upsampling set to either PCM or DSD. I have tried changing the upsampling rates, the bit rates, and the filters, but have not had any success. With PCM, there is a tiny bit of sound that I can barely hear while (Roon with and/or HQPlayer) plays the audio files, even if I turn the volume all the way up. With DSD, the files will play (in Roon with and/or HQPlayer), but I only hear silence. My streamer is an Euphony Audio PTS. It outputs via USB, which I send through a Singxer SU-1 to feed I2S to my KTE Holo Spring DAC.

I'm sure other people have had these issues, so I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find any answers. Any guidance you can provide will be helpful.

Thanks!

I just test ran a 24/96 track upsample to 384K with no issue, and this is using the same chain as yours (Roon+HQPlayer --> Streamer --> SU-1 --> KTE Holo Spring) except a different streamer.  Under setting, I set max to 384K, and use PCM.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Quadman said:

@acousticmood I think Jussi wants to see the main HQP screen when music is playing so he can see the format it is outputting.  In your last screen shot HQP is not playing anything.

@Miska  I have been helping two people via team viewer sessions to set up their playback with Win 10 pro (both 1809), current AMD based servers, HQPlayer (3.25.2), Roon and fidelizer pro.  And I am now having a strange issue, the exact same one for both.  First Both parties use Chinese dac's Gustard X20u and LKS DH004, also each party uses Chinese DDC's  Singxer su-1 with gustard and gustard u16 with LKS.  Both systems have in the past been able to successfully run HQP with roon and upsample all music to DSD512.

LKS system w U16 we flashed new firmware to the U16.  Then when setting up his system again for DSD512 playback I was able to get roon set up for DSD512 upsampling and successfully played music with roon upsampling to DSDS512.  Trying to get HQP set up everything looks good HQP sees U16 and its driver but on the Main screen when I select SDM as output mode the filters to the left of this do not switch to the filters for SDM I have set up on the settings page, they stay at the PCM filters and output is PCM only despite SDM being selected for output mode.  Roon can output DSD512, HQP only outputs PCM

The Gustard system with Singxer SU-1 we re-flashed its firmware, then when resetting up his system for DSD512 payback the exact same thing that happened above happens here as well.  I can successfully get roon set for DSD512 upsampling, and playing tracks confirms DSDS512 output.  HQP again looks good it sees the SU-1 and its driver, but when I go to select SDM as the output the filters stay as PCM and again output is only PCM.  Again Roon outputs DSD512, HQP only PCM output.

I know before you mentioned the driver/PC interaction is not allowing the switch to DSD, and that we should remove everything between PC and dac.  Which was tried before the re-flashing.  Do you have any idea why Roon can upsample to 512 and output DSD512 and HQP cannot, instead only outputting PCM?  I have never seen this issue before usually if it happened neither roon nor HQ could output DSD.

BTW I had been a very long time Poly-Sinc-XTR-MP 2s filter fan (In my system which has no issues), early this week I switched to Poly-sinc-EXT2, with ADSM7 and am just loving the sound.

Interesting problem...I am not sure if I know the answer either, but since I also have SU-1 as well as AMD CPU server with Win10Pro, running HQP through Roon, I can only help confirm the firmware for SU-1 is fine in my setup running upsampling from 44.1K to DSD512 either 2's or non-2's filters, so issue might not be firmware related.

• 2 months later...

Just installed the new desktop 4.0 today and so far only get to test run poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr-lp for now, but the SQ is a clear step up from the 3.x version.  I am very impressed with the progress HQPlayer is making over the years, and this version is well worth the small cost it commands.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Since I'm always Upsampling to DSD 128, do the 1x and Nx both apply?

Or should they be different from each other?

My understanding is, that will depend on the source material sampling rate.  If material is 44.1K then 1X will be used, hi-res will be using Nx setting.

10 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

do PCM Settings matter when upsampling to DSD 128?

No.

11 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Can you do DSD 512 with high res pcm source files? I find that cpu load goes up considerably when FLAC source is 24 / 96 or 24 / 192 versus Redbook 16 / 44.1 kHz. Is that inevitable or is there a way to mitigate it with settings?

In my setup, I find running hi-res PCM source file (24/96 or 24/192) upsample to DSD512, my CPU load seem to stay around 33~36%, same as redbook, but I do have to uncheck the "Adaptive output rate".

image.png.4ab9071e81fb2a1dfe337805522756d0.png

image.png.cca00cad54d95f91dbeeb0ff4008582e.png

image.png.22737a0bffc024b4d8c0539a7abf834a.png

9 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

1. With this setting any (-) impact on 44.1-based source material?

Other than I have re-check the "Adaptive output rate", no other negative impact on redbook source materials.  Meanwhile, since hi-res material has independent filter selections, making it very flexible.

14 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

2. What is your GPU utilization in the setting / scenario above?

Utilization rate is about 3~6% when it is turned on.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

It works if you make the adaptive output rate checked (instead of grayed) -> follow the rate family.

It may also work if you put limit to 44.1k x512 and make it grayed.

I did try with adaptive out rate checked, but in that setting, hi-res source won't work.  I also tried both 44.1Kx512 and 48x512 with same result, but have not try 44.1x512 with grayed adaptive output rate...will try this later.

50 minutes ago, Miska said:

It works if you make the adaptive output rate checked (instead of grayed) -> follow the rate family.

It may also work if you put limit to 44.1k x512 and make it grayed.

Thank you for the suggestion.  This setting with 44.1k x 512 limit and adaptive output rate grayed is working great.  One setting for both RedBook and Hi-Res source material upsample to DSD512.

40 minutes ago, lucretius said:

When Roon is the source, I cannot get HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256.  You can see from my settings below that DSD is the Default Output Mode:

image.png.24030a2df16bd34140e262aaf721d0b2.png

Instead, HQPlayer upsamples to 384k:

image.png.0a558c45bc97f9420511620106acbef8.png

Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256 (when Roon is the source)?

Try gray or check the "Adaptive output rate".

13 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Neither worked.  In fact, checking the Adaptive Output Rate caused the upsampling to go to 352.8k instead of 384k.  But still, no DSD.

However, after unchecking Adaptive Rate Output, closing HQPlayer and reopening, it now works -- HQPlayer upsamples the Roon source to 11.2896M (DSD256).  Very strange.

This is the setting I use to run upsampling to DSD512.  I grayed Multicore DSP, CUDA offload, and Adaptive output rate, and can run both PCM RedBook and Hi-Res as well as DSD64 to DSD512 without changing settings.

image.png.147fa26e6cf3e382f8519f47abc3cac7.png

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Carlos269 said:

Does the new Denafrips DSD1024 board have clocks and support for both 44.1KHz and 48KHz clock rates?

Oscillators for Denafrips Teminator DAC is not located on the DSD board, but they do have two separate oscillators for 44.1KHz and 48KHz clock rates.

image.png.e7660a0c2ef3ec1ca953bf47e063ad37.png

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, 3ggerhappy said:

Just FYI AMD announced the 16C 32T next gen Ryzen on E3 with 3950x to be release september all others july

official list now are:

AMD 'Matisse' Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs
AnandTech Cores
Threads
Base
Freq
Boost
Freq
L2
Cache
L3
Cache
PCIe
DDR4 TDP Price
(SEP)
Ryzen 9 3950X 16C 32T 3.5 4.7 8 MB 64 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $749
Ryzen 9 3900X 12C 24T 3.8 4.6 6 MB 64 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $499
Ryzen 7 3800X 8C 16T 3.9 4.5 4 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 105W $399
Ryzen 7 3700X 8C 16T 3.6 4.4 4 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 65W $329
Ryzen 5 3600X 6C 12T 3.8 4.4 3 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 95W $249
Ryzen 5 3600 6C 12T 3.6 4.2 3 MB 32 MB 16+4+4 ? 65W $199

Im all set with 3900x, but then the 3950x announced, will HQP benefit with the extra 4 cores?

Good to see 3950X will run at lower TDP at 105W compare to 1950X and 2950X at 180W.  Looks like a worthwhile upgrade consideration.

The 4 additional cores could be useful upsampling to higher sampling rates, but will know for sure with confirmation from @Miska

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, k6davis said:

And for anyone who's server is "only" able to upsample to EC DSD128, the essential character of EC can still be heard at that rate.

This is good to know.  I also have AMD CPU and have been upsampling to non-EC DSD512 with non-2s filters for a long time, but switching to EC DSD128 has a big jump in SQ improvement.  Hopefully it can do EC256 with more optimized algorithms...soon.

1 hour ago, fred_com said:

To all my fellow Threadripper users - I seem to have found a way to enjoy EC filters* into DSD256 with little effort.

*up to ASDM5EC - ASDM7EC is still out of our league, at least for my machine.

So all it takes is to disable two out of four of the dies of our CPU, and set the memory mode to "local".

I've done this in BIOS, although this should be the same as setting a "Game Mode" in Ryzen Master software.

There is an "Advanced/AMD CBS/Zen Common Options" menu in my Taichi X399M BIOS - I guess it should be in all other X399 chipset motherboards. Under this menu there is "Core/Thread Enablement" item.

Here you can select number of cores to disable via the "Downcore control" item. The options of this item are a little confusing, but "4+0" should mean that only 8 cores out of 16 should be used.

Memory mode is found under "Advanced/AMD CBS/DF Common Options", item is "Memory interleaving" - it should be set to "Channel".

All other CPU options are left to default, meaning that Boost and all other stuff should be working as usual. 

There's just one caveat - Hibernate ceases to work when you disable the cores. There is no way to enable "Suspend to RAM" in the corresponding ACPI settings in BIOS. (You can enable it, but it will fall back to disabled after reboot)

Of course, cores can be enabled back by setting the corresponding item to "Auto", so there is no harm.

And YMMV of course :) 

Thank you, Fred,

I will give this a try since I also have Taichi X399 Mobo and hopefully it will go from DSD128 to DSD256  😊

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, if not, please help direct this to the right place.

I had a power glitch a day ago, after having everything recovered, I find HQPlayer can no longer recognize NetworkAudioAdapter, where the selection show blank.  I have reboot the NUC multiple times and tried another NUC with same result.  In addition, I also tried loading HQPlayer to another computer, again, same result.

My question is, what could be the cause(s) to this problem?

TIA for any help provided.