IGNORED

HQ Player

12 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Closed form 16 M has never been the winner with hi res (88.2 only for me at the moment) but I think I will launch it manually systematically with classical RBCD, at least in the near future !

I am also enjoying Closed form -16M w/RBCD and even DSD64. I am outputting to DSD256. Placebo or not, I hear more presence,  micro-detail and instrument separation / stage versus poly-sinc-xtr-mp -2s and it keeps CPU / GPU utilization in the 12-15% range.

I do wish closed form-16M could be compatible with 24/96 and above. If so I would probably use it as my default setting.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JTS said:

Well, I thought that everything sounded great with poly-sync-xtr-2s on my studio system (44.1 PCM>256 DSD)- though I am always moving stuff about - y'know. As I was sifting through settings I stumbled on Closed-Form-16M. Bigger picture, fuller sound, sweeter treble. Damn, I'm going to be up late. It is super lovely. @Miska, this is a thing of beauty!

I had exactly the same experience....happy with poly-sync-extr-2s outputting DSD256 from Redbook until my eyes and ears were opened by Closed-Form-16M. Just wish it was compatible with 24 / 96 and above source files but these still do sound terrific with old reliable poly-sync-extr-2s. ?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nikhil said:

Hello @Miska,

I have been using HQPlayer in Full Screen mode and found it quite nice.
Was wondering if you could add the information on Filters, Dither, Oversampling and Modulation on the Full Screen display?  

109650960_HQPlayerFullScreen.thumb.jpg.4202361516895e4e0fcff6c56fb31ebb.jpg  

Respectfully, I like the screen minimalist / uncluttered as is, without too much to distract from the prominently displayed album art. In the current version, standard and full screen can both be active simultaneously. This allows an easy toggle to check filter, modulator etc... w/o having to close full screen as was the case in  prior versions.

Untitled.jpg

12 hours ago, Nikhil said:

The whole point of using HQPlayer are the filter options and upsampling strategies.

I would like to see what is the setup in place while listening to the music without having to stop playback and check the settings.

Maybe a check box option in the setup to display filter setup or not would keep both sides happy.

Makes sense, agree.

19 hours ago, Miska said:

I think adding those as text lines to the side pane is fine, since there's quite a bit of empty space there and it doesn't take much...

I agree, ideally selectable option however as OP suggested. Reason is that it can be useful to resize HQP to a portion of screen while doing other work, and that compresses text in line with album art. It's in that usage scenario that fewer text lines may be preferred.

Untitled.jpg

• 2 months later...

The currently available information on Signalyst site about HQPlayer 4 Pro notes it's use as a mastering, post-production tool. Is it aexpected to also confer advantages over HQPlayer Desktop for more common consumer use as a multi-format, high quality, upsampling audio file player?

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Desktop and Embedded are the ones intended for player use, while Pro is more like file output and recorder... So three products targeting different use cases.

Thank you for a clear answer, and I am excited that HQPlayer Desktop will continue to be offered and (based on your incredible track record of making improvements), remain best of breed for it's intended purpose.  Thanks, Miska!

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Happy Holidays to everyone!

I'm slightly less active over the holidays, but back at full steam a bit after New Year.

Please enjoy a wonderful holiday season. HQPlayer has brought many music lovers joy, and your presence on the forum is much appreciated. That said, we all need time to rejuvenate with family and friends.

Best!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Miska said:

There are probably tools that can convert files with CUE sheets to proper FLAC tracks.

CueTools is free and effective....

10 hours ago, bogi said:

I am not using foobar2000 for playing music, but I'm using it as powerful tool - music library manager, metadata editor, converter with optional DSP functionality, Dynamic Range meter, CUE sheet creator (for example for portable player) ... it is capable of much more things.

I previously used FooBar for playback but HQP is superior. However, like you FooBar is still in my toolkit for file format conversions, adding PCM gain when downsampling DSD to FLAC, and several other handy features. I haven't tried the new HQ Pro version but wonder if it performs some of these utility functions as well or better...

On 1/6/2019 at 3:31 AM, Miska said:

Why don't you let HQPlayer to convert DSD to PCM during playback? Or is the FLAC conversion for some other case?

Thank you, Miska. Yes, you are right . The FLAC conversion is done to create smaller file sizes for loading and listening on my portable player  where storage space is an issue. For desktop playback with my PC as source it is HQ Player all the way.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Pro is a separate product targeted on pro-audio (recording studios and record labels). It is by no means replacement for Desktop. All three products, Desktop, Embedded and Pro will continue to exist and target their own respective use cases.

I was happy to purchase HQPlayer in part because of Jussi's amazing track record of interval updates. I always look forward to his latest tweaks / new modulator and filter options and combinations to try out. It's one of the reasons HQPlayer is a solid value even though not inexpensive software. Coming from FooBar freeware it was part of what made HQPlayer worth the initial outlay cost.

So would I pay for updates? Definitely a new version, yes. Intra-version, interval tweaks, yes probably also to support Jussi and a great product but I confess, it would take a bit of the halo off of HQPlayer as contrasted to other options.

Just my thoughts. Whatever the future holds for HQPlayer, Jussi's track record of excellence, committment to his customers and appreciation of wonderfully reproduced music is very refreshing and appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I think HQPlayer is a bargain in the audiophile world which commonly sees speakers costing six digits, similarly priced amps and 10k DAC’s.  My purchase of HQPlayer v3 transformed my listening experience and I happily purchased v4.  I also greatly appreciate the support and technical guidance Jussi provides on this site. I view my purchase as a small contribution towards v4 and versions beyond.

I think Hammer has made the key point: buying an HQP license is not just software, but entitles within version upgrades often with new modulators etc... and Jussi is a huge presence on this forum to add value. I plan to upgrade this weekend and look forward to continued evolution of HQPlayer desktop.

Hi Jussi. I upgraded to HQPlayer 4, running on a single local machine, Win10 PC. ON HQPlayer 3 my workflow was to drag files or folders from Windows explorer into main HQP playlist, then click on the small square icon to launch the component with full size cover screen art etc...How shall I replicate this functionality in HQP 4? Specifically, I can still launch desktop (server), drag files in for playback then launch client which replicates the full size art display (and now filter / modulator) selection. However, from that point on it get's murky:

1. Do I select localhost or Desktop-DMIELBV at upper left of client?

2. If I select local host I can generate the playlist in client and even initiate playback from client, but per screenshot the track counter , embedded art etc... remain non-engaged. It appears that the information from desktop is not updating in client during playback.

3. I tried creating a library for initiating playback via client, still erratic behaviour and I do prefer simple drag and drop as I move files frequently from multiple locations, centralized library directory not optimal for my use case.

An obvious answer would be for me to reinstall HQP3  but I do want to support the new release and benefit from from future shaper / filter releases etc..I am somewhere above novice but not at the level of many on this forum, so your simplest suggestions as to how to replicate prior "single machine" functionality using HQP4's client - server architecture will be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

For this case you don't need the Client at all, just the main "server" application.

Understood, but is there then any way to have  full size art displayed and ready access to filter / shaper etc...without launching client?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

If the content is in HQPlayer library (scanned by Desktop 4), then all information should be shown, including cover art. I'm not sure what was the exact series of actions that led up to this point. But looks like position, etc is not being updated.

Exactly, as I didn't scan the files into library but instead dragged them into Desktop player, they don't seem to be readable by client. Is there any workaround for this or do I have to use library?

4 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Exactly, as I didn't scan the files into library but instead dragged them into Desktop player, they don't seem to be readable by client. Is there any workaround for this or do I have to use library?

Related observation that may help troubleshoot / improve: Even using tracks from library, the client's "time" counter does not run but does update if I re-select "localhost", then time counter stops running again....suggests the communication between server and client only occurs at the instant localhost is selected but then is not sustained.

Thanks, Jussi. Running HQ Player 4.01 I can drag a playlist into desktop (server), select localhost from client dropdown, initiate playback from client and the embedded art appears correctly, track timer advances properly during playback, etc. The hotfix seems to have resolved my issues as well, and it's quick release is appreciated.

6 hours ago, Paetrick said:

Hi Jussi,

I encountered a regression with version 4. I'm not able to use the closed-form filters family (with PCM), there is almost no listenable output except some weird clicks. The 'limited' counter is steadily counting up clipped samples also. As with version 3 I upsample everything to SDM, so currently I am only able to listen to my DSD files.

I use up to date Windows 10 and up to date Nvidia/CUDA drivers with CUDA offload enabled, no setting has changed going from version 3 to version 4 of HQPlayer.

Otherwise everything is smooth and good sounding with the new version :)

Like Paetrik, with HQ Player 4.01 output is just pops and clicks with closed form, same PC and other settings as when all worked well using HQ Player 3.xx. I am certain Jussi has a lot of troubleshooting post a major release and user feedback, but closed-form 16 taps had been my go to filter, would love to have it usable again!

4 hours ago, Miska said:

If you can run it, can you try without CUDA offload? Because that filter implementation is exactly the same between Desktop 3.25.3 and Desktop 4.0.0, only difference being update of CUDA framework from 10.0 to 10.1...

Yes, with CUDA offload de-selected, closed-form-16M does run. However, cpu usage is 30% whereas on HQ Player 3.xx it was 12-15%, similar GPU usage (10-15%) with CUDA offload to GeForce 1060. I do prefer to share the load, might this be possible in a future update?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I've already fixed the problem caused by the CUDA update. But it is a bit strange one.

Wow, that's quick work and great news. Thank you, Jussi! Will the next hotfix / update allow closed-form-16M to run using CUDA offload on HQPlayer 4.xx?

3 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I'm surprised there are MQA Filters on HQ, considering how much negative publicity MQA has garnered.

I am far from an expert but I believe that in addition to MQA track playback there are other situations where use of these filters may be worthwhile. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can elaborate.

7 hours ago, tedwoods said:

Yes, Client is just a way to control the program

Understood, but what differs from HQ Player 3.xx is how it functioned as a unified desktop app under Win10. Specifically, when one began playback in desktop app. but wanted full-sized album art, we could select the small square icon and it reflected whatever was in main desktop program. In 4.01, to simulate this functionality I need to load both server and client apps., drag files into server than go to client, select "localhost" for playlist to appear then initiate playback within client. It's a bit laborious and not especially elegant but once working it's nice to have full screen art, track information and modulator selection etc...all displayed. I am also very pleased with sound quality, up to HQ Player's high standards although not sure I can discern a major difference from 3.xx.

The catch: If I initiate playback from desktop app., then select "localhost" in client it doesn't appear to communicate back to the server app. on a sustaining basis....hence the need to go thorough the somewhat "clunkier" process above. Perhaps this can be addressed in an upcoming release.

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

I guess this depends on to what size Dock had been adjusted to. Settings dialog is 915 pixels tall, so it should fit on 1080p resolution displays in most cases. I wonder what resolution is your Mac display because in fullscreen it still looks like a little compressed vertically, but other than that it looks OK - just wider.

I have same issue as Le Concombre Masqué, dock doesn't quite fit in my 1080p display because I have Win 10 custom size for text, apps, other items of 125% to improve readability (you'll know what I mean when you're my age 🧐.) Perhaps scale down the settings dialogue to allow more flexibility to fit fully in displays w/non-standard resolution.

Thanks, Miska, for considering.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Windows is indeed  a particularly peculiar platform compared to macOS or Linux which are both IEEE Std 1003.1 compliant to notable extent, while Windows is not. So it is quite a bit of extra effort to deal with a totally different OS model. But I'm quite familiar with it, having been working on Windows software since mid-90's. But I do have to note that there has been quite some pain and suffering with Windows 10, for example breaking the license key system on HQPlayer 3.x (that was a third party component where the third party went extinct and then Microsoft broke that stuff with an OS update). Hardware support wise, Windows is among the best though. Pretty much any possible audio hardware is supported at least on Windows with all features (through Steinberg's ASIO driver framework).

All platforms have their peculiarities. Linux is most standard compliant though, and when something doesn't work, one can look inside the OS at any level to the full extent, so it is also easier to debug. But Linux is also the most diverse platform where there are lot of totally different kinds of variants. So nothing is guaranteed to work across the different variants.

On Windows, HQPlayer 4 Desktop is officially supported and tested only on 64-bit Windows 10. But when people try to use it on something else and I know how to deal/work around a problem, I can do it still. On Windows, people also use all kinds of "system optimizers" that create lot of extra trouble by disabling operating system services that are by default enabled and suddenly don't work anymore. Server versions also seem to share part of the trouble (network QoS functionality being an example).

Regardless of OS, it is just hard to deal with situation when expected functionality is suddenly magically missing. This seems to happen the least on macOS though.

P.S. Lot of logs has been sent, analyzed, etc for Windows too and hotfix was created to deal with some of the issues that included both macOS and Windows (but not Linux).

As a longtime Windows user,  I am grateful for Miska's efforts to minimize glitches with HQ Player 4 Desktop and Windows 10 64-bit. After getting adjusted to the new server - client architecture despite running on a single desktop machine, I am now happily listening to Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in 24 / 96 FLAC output to DSD256, CUDA offload to my GeForce keeping CPU utilization manageable, and the cares of the day are melting away. Good to remember that ultimately it's about the power of music. I know of no software that bring me closer to that than HQ Player.