IGNORED

HQ Player

Fantastic forum for a newbie like me to HQ Player, 2 questions for those more seasoned then I with this software:

1.       I am enjoying HQPlayer greatly with my iFi iDSD Micro., and appreciate improved sound quality when outputting FLAC to DSD playback. There are several interesting discussions on this site suggesting the results of  software based upsampling and / or conversion may vary DAC to DAC, depending upon the DAC chip's internal upsampling and conversion algorithms. I am considering upgrading my iFi DAC to Matrix X-Sabre Pro (Dual ESS9038) or possibly Gustard A20H (Dual AK4497) if funds are too tight and am curious if anyone has thoughts or experience as to how HQ Player might interact with these.

2.       When using HQ Player to output PCM to SDM/DSD there is a substantial decrease in volume, even w/6 db gain enabled. This does not occur when playing native format DSD file w/o conversion. It is inconvenient to adjust volume depending upon output format and potentially a blast to the ear if I forget when change SDM to PCM….any correction available?

Thanks for the vast wealth of information on this forum, hope my questions aren't duplicative or too newbie-esque.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

9 hours ago, Miska said:

The default gain is recommended -3 dBFS for PCM to DSD. I would recommend using the same also for PCM mode, although I don't know why one would use PCM mode at all... ;)

Anyway, due to the DAC chip implementation the output level in DSD is anyway about -3 dB compared to PCM if both are 0 dB reference level in digital domain. The exact amount depends on the selected DSD analog filter. Usually DACs should be about 3 dB quieter with DSD because DSD in turn allow +3.15 dB digital peak level while PCM technically cannot exceed 0 dB. Otherwise the DAC's analog stage could run into clipping when encountering such DSD levels exceeding 0 dB. ESS Sabre chips try to use same level for both, so it may result in clipping at full scale signals... For this reason, HQPlayer prefers not to output DSD signals exceeding 0 dB reference level.

Thanks for the explanation, Miska. I agree in general DSD output wins the day for my preference. I know it's a matter of debate and controversy but for me DSD output sounds more natural / less digital and less fatiguing.

I'm still uncertain why the volume difference depending on playing DSD format files versus when playing PCM converted to DSD, but I'll live with it as sound quality is priority #1., 

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

23 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I've found -5 dBFS the safer number as some of my 44.1 content was kicking the clipping indicator at -3 and -4 dBFS.  I assume the volume knob turning red meant there was clipping?

Forgive my newbie-ness....but where does one set dBFS. Is it an HQ Player option or a setting on one's amp?

1 hour ago, Dr Tone said:

In HQPlayer filters setting dialog, the max db setting near the bottom.  I set min and max the same at -5dBFS.

Ah, of course. Thank you, Dr Tone.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

DOP is related to DAC's supported PCM sample rate.  DSD128 requires at least 352.8kHz pcm input.  DSD256 requires at least 705.6kHz pcm input.  DSD512 in theory would require at least 1411.2kHz pcm input which doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Well, it seem to be very simple, but, somehow I never realized it would work this way. By some reason I had sample rate limit set to 192k in PCM defaults, was it because it is the limit for PCM files? Now I set limit to 1.4112M, and as a result there is 11.289M in DSD for redbook upsample. First impression from the sound is nothing short of awesome. Will see, but as per now this is single most important thing for HQP settings. 

Wow, great information and seems so obvious when stated. But does adjusting the PCM limit affect how PCM --> PCM auto upsampling occurs as well? I like the flexibility to do that in addition to upsampling using SDM (DSD).

Question about CUDA offload:

I recently got a new PC w/nVidea 1060 graphics card, and have checked the CUDA offload box on HQP. I expected the result to be a substantial difference in CPU utilization when upsampling PCM --> DSD but it's essentially unchanged, generally around 11% doing Redbook PCM to DSD256 DoP (my USB interface, Singxer SU-1, doesn't support native DSD yet, awaiting a firmware update hopefully soon.) is there a higher CPU "threshold" wherein CUDA GPU offload kicks in? Also, any straightforward way using Win10 resource monitor or nVidea tools to check if the GPU processing (CUDA) is occurring?

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

The XMOS Windows driver 3.4 (reported on in my review feedback thread about the Holo Spring dac) for the Holo allows for native (i.e "none" in HQP) playback of the SU-1.  Net/net, it is not firmware that you need, it is a decent XMOS ASIO driver from Matrix.  That will allow the SU-1 to play up to DSD256 natively in Windows.  

Got it, glad 3.4 allows native DSD with the Holo but my understanding is it would not do so with other DAC's. I've emailed Singxer in hopes they will release a more broadly applicable FW.

Thanks for your patient help, Ted. Despite these minor quibbles, I am listening to Bach Keyboard Concertos as I type; HQP --> Singxer SU-1 I2S --> Matrix DAC --> iCAN Pro --> ZMF Ori, and it is sublime! I will try to remember to embrace and enjoy the music as I pursue perfection (or at least the degree of it my wallet and wife allow.)

8 hours ago, ted_b said:

No, you are confusing terms.  I am now talking about ASIO drivers, not firmware.  Yes, the Holo-specific 2.2 firmware (2.2, not 3.4) on the SU-1 gets us DSD512, but it has nothing to do with running DoP vs native.  Native playback requires an ASIO driver from your dac manufacturer.  I was simply saying my XMOS 3.4 driver works for Holo in Windows.

Thank for clarifying.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer reports in it's status bar when playback is started if the offloading is enabled.

Thanks, Miska.

5 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

KB4016871 can be manually uninstalled.  No need to mess with System Restore.

A better question is how to keep this KB from automatically rolling into the system again via Windows Update.

I  am new to Windows 10 (Home Edition). Definitely don't want to break HQP. How does one manually uninstall KB4016871 update?

5 hours ago, lucretius said:

Miska has posted a fix on his website -- HQPlayer 3.16.3.  It works with KB4016871.

Thank you. I can confirm the new version works with KB4019472 as well.

I have a different issue with HQP 1.61.3. While this version did solve my crash problem with KB4019472, now when HQP is running but no track is playing, there is static output. It is quite audible, but disappears entirely when I select and play a track, and remains dead silent between tracks on a playlist. However, if I press "pause" the static returns, while strangely if I press "stop" it does not.

It is tolerable as the issue is not present during active playback, but I'd appreciate any ideas as to solutions.

I have upgraded to 3.16.4 and continue to experience static when the pause button is pressed. Does not occur during playback or when playback is stopped, only "pause" causes this problem. Ideas / solutions appreciated.

5 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

I have upgraded to 3.16.4 and continue to experience static when the pause button is pressed. Does not occur during playback or when playback is stopped, only "pause" causes this problem. Ideas / solutions appreciated.

An additional observation is that this only occurs when HQP is outputting DSD. For PCM output it does not occur.

Miska, any thoughts?

6 hours ago, bibo01 said:

In DFF/DSF setting menu you have to enable DirectSDM. All DSD will not receive any DSP.

Is there an equivalent method of playing FLAC / PCM as encoded w/o "auto" upsampling or having to use the dropdown box to manually set for each track?

2 hours ago, Miska said:

If you are trying to avoid upsampling, you are using wrong player... ;)

HQPlayer is all about upsampling and doesn't even try to make it easy to play something without, except for DSD.

At times for certain well-recorded source material it is nice to playback native, for which HQP still sounds better to my ear than other players, then compare to upsampled. But I fully understand your point and overall do agree. Thanks for replying, Miska!

6 hours ago, mrvco said:

Two questions:

I recently purchased a Mytek Brooklyn DAC, fed by a Mac Mini running Roon and HQP to a µR which is connected to the Brooklyn.  I've been alternating between up-converting to PCM 384k and DSD 256.  Everything has been working fine until a couple of nights ago.  HQ Player was set to output DSD 256 and when I started a 24/96 file the Brooklyn changed to "No Lock" and the music sounded very noisy and bad.

I've attached a screenshot of my current settings (the DAC is currently in stand-by mode and I'm connecting remotely to my Mini from work).  Things went back to normal when I switch back to Red Book.  Is this an issue with the specific 24/96 album or is something amiss in my settings relative to the Brooklyn? 

Also, what SDM Oversampling filter is recommended as a starting point?  I have the PCM default set to asymFIR, but I don't see that option on the SDM side.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 4.39.31 PM.png

I also had difficulty w/SDM output from 24 Bit PCM with certain over sampling filters. I am now using poly-sinc-mp-2s  filter and DSD7 256+fs modulator, output to 44.1x256, and am very happy with the results.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@Miska  I have converted my old key to the new format for 3.17.0.  There is a more or less continuous string of information in the xml file that was generated, and I'm not sure where the new key exactly begins and ends.  I don't want to uninstall the previous version until I know the new key with certainty.  Would you please provide some guidance? 

With apologies for newbieness, how do I convert my older text file registration key to XML?

11 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

With apologies for newbieness, how do I convert my older text file registration key to XML?

Ah,  should have followed the "read the manual" principle before posting, and thanks for the web form, Miska. Worked like a charm!

• 1 month later...

I am also enjoying HQP 3.18 but since upgrading from 3.17 I've noted CUDA offload does not appear to be working. Settings that prev. gave me 15-20 % cpu utilization with my video card utilization in same range now give greater cpu and no vid. card utilization. No other hardware or software settings were changed.

Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

Processor is Intel i7-7700@ 4.2 GHz

Miska, any explanation / advice?

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

I tested it to work, but you need to have latest Nvidia drivers, 385.x or later.

Check what HQPlayer reports about offload in the status bar when starting playback...

Great advice, Miska. Updated my NVidia driver and voila, CUDA offload is working as before.

Thanks, as always.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Miska said:

For SDM good starting point is poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s for non-classical and poly-sinc-shrt-2s for classical music. Select ASDM7 as modulator and 48k x256 as maximum bit rate.

I'm a little confused by how 48 x256 differs from 44.1 x256...in either I understand the PCM output will upsample to a multiple (EG 96 kHz or 88.2 kHz). But is there any actual impact on SDM (DSD) output, or CPU load etc...?

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

The difference is 11.2896 MHz vs 12.288 MHz output rate. ASIO driver on Windows prevents use of the 48k-base rates, but in all other environments those are available. When used together with "Auto rate family" it lowers CPU load, because simpler ratios are lighter to process. But quality-wise it doesn't matter much, 48k-base rate is 1 MHz higher at 256 ratio.

Thank you, Miska. I actually see slightly higher CPU utilization with SDM using 48 x256 than 44.1 x256 and can't distinguish any sound quality difference, so I'll stick with the former. I appreciate your response!

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Miska said:

Uninstaller can be found from Start-menu in HQPlayer Desktop group. It is easy to find by opening Start-menu and then just typing "HQPlayer".

If running windows is there any difference between running the uninstall executable from Signalyst folder versus just using the "uninstall" function in Windows' Control panel?

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

In anticipation of response from n2it I would like to offer a little bit of my experience with HQPlayer. I listen mostly to solo, chamber, orchestra classical music and small combo jazz. When I started using HQP 3-4 years ago I was interesting mostly with converting everything to DSD format and even purchased new DACs with DSD capability. I tried all and every filters in SDM, poly-sinc-xtr was most interesting to me. Only recently I switched to PCM, and here I use FIR (and 768 sample rate) - it gives to my ears most natural "no-processed" sound which fits well to acoustic music in my system. Closed-form and xtr filters also sound very sweet, but both "add" something. Good luck with HQP!

I also listen mostly to classical instrumental music (solo keyboard and chamber music) as well as vocal jazz and small ensembles. I use XTR filter with the -2s to output DSD256 and really enjoy the results. My CPU load stays < 20% and NVidia CUDA offload shows GPU usage of around 10-15% as well on my mid-tier Windows PC. 

PCM w/FIR does add a bit of immediacy / presence but occasional stridency as well. My best results of all are with 24 bit FLAC or DSD64-DSF files upconverted to DSD256 --> very transparent, musically engaging sound but doesn't sound "processed" even though obviously conversions are at work.

Truly, setting up HQPlayer does not require very advanced computer skills. It is no harder than Foobar but the quality of output and versatility is far superior. it is well-worth downloading the trial and experimenting. I purchased it before my trial expired and am very glad I did.