IGNORED

SOtM dX-USB-HD Clock replacement.

anyone looked at these

Missed those. They look like they would work and those were the Crystek I was looking at. The clock voltage is 3.25 Vdc on the SOtM (at least on mine). The Vanguard 22.579 MHz is still the 44.1k champ till something better comes along. Finally got some battery lead adaptor and plugged a raw 3s2p 9.9 volt 4500 mah Life battery in. You had asked about sound quality and all I can say is the Sunny will not be returning. The one you list are expensive, but could be better for the application. The Crystek would also be fun to try, but a little more complex installation. I am determined to a PCB for one. I really don't think you would be disappointed especially at the price point of clocks. If you didn't hear greatness your out $20 and reinstall the Sunnys. I haven't been able to damage the unit yet, so it seems durable. Still smiling from "Starship Trooper" at volume. Life is good.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Just remember the vanguards have no voltage control on pin 1, so you can't have both in at the same time. I have have another set on order that have VC on pin one. I am on my phone, but will link them when I get home from work to see what you think.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 3 weeks later...

Received another set of TCXO with voltage control on pin 1 and they failed to work with both installed, so pin 1 must be Tristate for the unit to function correctly.

DSC_0234_zpse1dd49ba.jpg

To the right of the clocks are two SMD adaptor PCBS. The Blue PCB should work for the Crystek CCHD 957s which should be here in June :(. The green PCB allows for different sizes of SMD and underneath has provisions for decoupling capacitors. The blue pcb also has a version with provisions for a bypass capacitor. I wasn't sure if they would be one more level of filtering and worth adding.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Received another set of TCXO with voltage control on pin 1 and they failed to work with both installed, so pin 1 must be Tristate for the unit to function correctly.

DSC_0234_zpse1dd49ba.jpg

To the right of the clocks are two SMD adaptor PCBS. The Blue PCB should work for the Crystek CCHD 957s which should be here in June :(. The green PCB allows for different sizes of SMD and underneath has provisions for decoupling capacitors. The blue pcb also has a version with provisions for a bypass capacitor. I wasn't sure if they would be one more level of filtering and worth adding.

Hello

From where did you get the adapters pl?

fmak

Hey Fmak,

The straight SOJ to 4 pin (blue) is from a company called Accutek Microcircuit Corp. If you look at my PDF link above you can see what's available. Minimum order is 5 at around $5 a board. I just sent them an Email and they responded the next day and I had them in a week. First rate service even for such a small order. As you can see they are preassembled.

Accutek Microcircuit Corporation: Your Choice for Custom and JDEC Standard DRAM and SRAM Modules

The universal SMT XO adapter (Green) is from Ian at DIY Audio. These are unassembled, but include the pins and the 3 decoupling caps that are optional. 5 adaptors with the pins and caps are around $9. Ordering is cumbersome and you have to be forum member, plus he is out of Canada.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 35 - diyAudio

My Crysteks ship Jun 6 and I am not sure which board I will use. If you can wait till the dust settles on this project I could send you some adaptor boards. The TCXO's are hitting EBay to try and recoup some cost.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Hey Fmak,

The straight SOJ to 4 pin (blue) is from a company called Accutek Microcircuit Corp. If you look at my PDF link above you can see what's available. Minimum order is 5 at around $5 a board. I just sent them an Email and they responded the next day and I had them in a week. First rate service even for such a small order. As you can see they are preassembled.

Accutek Microcircuit Corporation: Your Choice for Custom and JDEC Standard DRAM and SRAM Modules

The universal SMT XO adapter (Green) is from Ian at DIY Audio. These are unassembled, but include the pins and the 3 decoupling caps that are optional. 5 adaptors with the pins and caps are around $9. Ordering is cumbersome and you have to be forum member, plus he is out of Canada.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy - Page 35 - diyAudio

My Crysteks ship Jun 6 and I am not sure which board I will use. If you can wait till the dust settles on this project I could send you some adaptor boards. The TCXO's are hitting EBay to try and recoup some cost.

I'll wait as currently I am soldering 5x7 Crysteks onto my boards - not much fun but it can be done!

Please let me know when I can get a board from you to try out first.

fmak

Sound like you need Ian's universal PCB's for the 5x7. Right now I am leaning toward the Accutek PCBs. Just PM me with your address and I'll send out a pair of the universals to try out.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Sound like you need Ian's universal PCB's for the 5x7. Right now I am leaning toward the Accutek PCBs. Just PM me with your address and I'll send out a pair of the universals to try out.

PM sent; thanks.

For temporary experiment, I did this (photo) to try out. Needs to be careful when stripping the leadsCCHD.JPG

fmak

NP,

Wasn't sure if this was relevant: http://www.sitime.com/support2/documents/AN10006-Best-Design-Layout-Practices_2v4.pdf

Trying to figure out if adding bypass or decoupling capacitors to the adaptor PCB would beneficial.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

NP,

Wasn't sure if this was relevant: http://www.sitime.com/support2/documents/AN10006-Best-Design-Layout-Practices_2v4.pdf

Trying to figure out if adding bypass or decoupling capacitors to the adaptor PCB would beneficial.

indeed it may help; use a Kemet 0.1 u NPO. Some boards also have RC and RL components as indicated in the pdf.

Also the 15pF or so output load should be observed if it is not there already. In the end, one basically needs to scope it.

fmak

• 2 weeks later...

Both Crystek CCHD-957s installed and working fine.

DSC_0243_zps228603cd.jpg

I have a 3S2P LiFePO4 battery on the charger, and am to eager try both together. Thanks for all the help.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Has the sound improved though ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

DSC_0243_zps228603cd.jpg

I have a 3S2P LiFePO4 battery on the charger, and am to eager try both together. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for sharing, and taking this quest even further. I really do not think that there is an off the shelf product out there right now that can compete with the DIYers.

Even Aurender can still learn.

Curious whether you had let SoTM know, as I am sure they would be interested to improve their next gen board.

Cheers.

Has the sound improved though ?

Yes, there was almost an across the board improvement in sound, at least in my configuration. It just seemed a lot more refined and some issues I thought were the amps and speakers disappeared. Maybe I am under a placebo effect, but it has me rethinking digital. My next step is to make a USB cable with battery power injected instead of using the PC power. Even though I am running the unit on battery power I am not sure how much if any USB 5v goes into the circuit. I found the little oscillator buffer and wondered if the USB PC power was used till that point. Maybe getting a bit mojo, but seems fun to try.

Curious whether you had let SoTM know, as I am sure they would be interested to improve their next gen board.

No, they have their own clock upgrade made with a dedicated circuit and pcb. You just unplug the regulator and the second pcb plugs into that. I was trying to see what gains could be made on the cheap and try to further my understanding a bit.

Intel Thin-mini ITX