IGNORED

Replacement for Apple TV for music streaming - Cambridge Audio NP 30 or Mac Mini

GilesM

So, I have moved the iMac downstairs, we will see how I get on without a mac upstairs.

Still may end up a getting a Mac mini... We will see....

I'd strongly suggest you try out Audirvana and Amarra, they should make a clear difference if you're using USB now.

Instead of buying a new MacMini, you may want to consider upgrading your DAC first. I think quite a lot has happened on the DAC front since the launch of the original DacMagic.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd strongly suggest you try out Audirvana and Amarra, they should make a clear difference if you're using USB now.

Instead of buying a new MacMini, you may want to consider upgrading your DAC first. I think quite a lot has happened on the DAC front since the launch of the original DacMagic.

Good advice. The MM hardware is really nice, quiet, and compact. If you do go with a headless Mac Mini be sure to find a good VNC; I've used RealVNC and Screens and both have been buggy and unintuitive. Apple's free software ought to work better, though it was ignored here for quite a while. Audirvana sounds really good, but I'm strongly tempted to try JRMC in order to have an ergonomic interface.

Hopefully AppleTV will be fixed also, mine (late ATV2) won't stream PCM files from its optical port, Apple has no fixes for it. Gorgeous interface for everything video, though.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I am wanting to replace my Apple TV. I use this for redbook standard music streaming only.

I have two options under consideration, Cambridge Audio NP30 streaming device or a Mac Mini to act as a localised server.

I want to avoid the re-sampling done by the Apple TV and keep the playback of the files as 'clean' possible.

As the NP30 can now handle apple lossless files it comes under consideration and has the bonus of playing other file types that my Apple eco-system currently can not.

Any advice is welcome... than you.

The NP-30 is a nice unit (I own one). Can sound very good (at least on Internet Radio. Never used it for playing ripped audio from my Mac, because mine does not support Apple Lossless and all my music is ripped using that format). I find the late, lamented, Squeezebox Touch from Logitech to be more flexible with a much better GUI interface (and even it is somewhat quirky) and it sounds just as good providing you use a good outboard DAC for both. With the on-board DACs, the Cambridge gets a slight nod, sound wise, but with either of them, "adequate" best describes the sound. My NP-30 sits on a closet shelf because of the lack of ALC support.

George

The NP-30 is a nice unit (I own one). Can sound very good (at least on Internet Radio. Never used it for playing ripped audio from my Mac, because mine does not support Apple Lossless and all my music is ripped using that format). I find the late, lamented, Squeezebox Touch from Logitech to be more flexible with a much better GUI interface (and even it is somewhat quirky) and it sounds just as good providing you use a good outboard DAC for both. With the on-board DACs, the Cambridge gets a slight nod, sound wise, but with either of them, "adequate" best describes the sound. My NP-30 sits on a closet shelf because of the lack of ALC support.

I have some good news for you, George. From the Cambridge Audio website:

Stream Magic 6 and NP30 network music players now support Apple Lossless (ALAC)!

If you reconnect your NP30 and do a firmware update, you will have support for ALAC.

Jim

I have some good news for you, George. From the Cambridge Audio website:

Stream Magic 6 and NP30 network music players now support Apple Lossless (ALAC)!

If you reconnect your NP30 and do a firmware update, you will have support for ALAC.

Jim

Thank you Jim.

George