IGNORED

JRiver media centre automatic on start up

I am running windows 8.1 and when i start up i wish to avoid the start up screen and go straight to the JRiver media centre so i can control it with JRemote on my ipad. Has anyone done this? Also how would i shut down the program and computer?

You don't have to do anything in Windows. You can do it all In J River. Click Tools > Options > Startup. Under Startup Interface,uncheck "Show Splash Screen". Under Windows Startup, select Media Center. J River will then load automatically on startup

You can shut down the computer using "Hibernate" or "Sleep". You don't have to close J River. When you wake up the computer, J River will start up and be ready to go. All you have to do then is open JRemote on your iPad.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

You don't have to do anything in Windows. You can do it all In J River. Click Tools > Options > Startup. Under Startup Interface,uncheck "Show Splash Screen". Under Windows Startup, select Media Center. J River will then load automatically on startup

You can shut down the computer using "Hibernate" or "Sleep". You don't have to close J River. When you wake up the computer, J River will start up and be ready to go. All you have to do then is open JRemote on your iPad.

If you use this and have your library is on an external HDD wouldn't you need to be sure your HDD is awake or on first? I know if it is not with iTunes it will revert to the default file path on the internal drive. I am not sure with regards to JRiver.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

fantastic start up. Is it possible to get a picture of what is on the computer on the theater screen/ipad to allow full shutdown. (I want to get away from using a computer screen)

fantastic start up. Is it possible to get a picture of what is on the computer on the theater screen/ipad to allow full shutdown. (I want to get away from using a computer screen)

I'm not sure I follow you. I know of no way that you can reproduce your Windows PC computer screen on an iPad and operate from there. If you have your music server PC on a network with another Windows PC, you can use Remote Desktop. I don't understand why you would want to do a "full shutdown". In Windows, you can change the power button setting on the PC to automatically go to "hibernate" or "sleep" instead of "shutdown": Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options/System Settings - Power and Sleep Button Settings. After that is done, you no longer need a computer screen to operate in that manner.

When you press the power button, the PC will "hibernate" or "sleep". When you press it again, the PC will wake up and load J River.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

You can get a Remote Desktop client for iPad...

I'm not sure I follow you. I know of no way that you can reproduce your Windows PC computer screen on an iPad and operate from there. If you have your music server PC on a network with another Windows PC, you can use Remote Desktop. [...snipage...]

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You can get a Remote Desktop client for iPad...

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.

• 3 weeks later...

There are screen emulator programs as well. Not exactly the same as a RD I don't think... but similar in function.

Turn your iPad into a second monitor for free | TabTimes

Basically, you could run it with a duplicate of the primary screen, which is how you would need to work to control the computer. It also can function to extend your desktop, as if it were a second screen.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain