IGNORED

AppleTV, DAC isolation

Is it even worth spending time and money trying to isolate my Apple TV?

Using "Cones", or "Vibrapods" etc?

I know one can go a little overboard with isolation techniques.

Thanks!

Michael J. Howell[br]Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, AppleTV, Majik, Numerik, Katans. Linn Silver and Audioquest 3 Toslink, AQ - Indigo (bi-wire), Mapleshade Bedrocks (yes these actually work).

Not sure, but there are plenty of people willing to sell you products that claim:

"Whenever you’re listening or downloading to your laptop, just lay it on the Isobase Cradle’s rounded brass support footers. Play your favorite MP3, WAV, DVD, or even streaming audio and hear bass punch, treble air and warm detail you would never have expected. And for videos, see startling new color and detail. When you plug your laptop or iPod into your big rig, you’ll really be impressed."

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/computerupgrade_hub.php

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for responding so quickly Chris. Something just seems so wrong about the "Isobase" for the laptop.

I've worked with computers for 20 plus years, and the thought of placing my laptop on the Isobase is almost comical.

However I need to remember that the Apple TV is a kind of different monster. I wouldn't think twice about putting my SACD player on it.

I guess the thought of eating banana sandwiches with mayo seemed crazy years ago, but now is normal (I know, a terrible analogy, but I'm getting hungry).

Regards

Michael J. Howell[br]Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, AppleTV, Majik, Numerik, Katans. Linn Silver and Audioquest 3 Toslink, AQ - Indigo (bi-wire), Mapleshade Bedrocks (yes these actually work).

Sorry Michael, but the idea of banana sandwiches with mayo STILL seams crazy to me :-)

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Best wishes

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I don't want Chris to get upset here, but completely ignoring audiophilia for one second, peanut butter and bacon with banana may have to be tried tomorrow.

I live in the south east (upstate South Carolina), so mayo (Duke's of course) goes with everything.

I am originally from Birmingham England, so everything is a culture shock.

I guess that's why I like my Linn stuff so much.

Back on topic, I think I will try the Isoblocks for My Apple TV, I'll post my findings.

Thanks for all the responses!

Regards

But, I think I can make it better. Place the two brass things in the front for better balance during typing and moving the mouse. Then place the single thing in the back. Now its good!

Again not judging, but it is funny....i am going to e-mail it some friends....hehehe

regards

jr

I totally agree, it is funny; I think for my next design meeting with a customer, I will take my laptop out of my briefcase and place the two brass feet at the front as you suggested, with one at the back. I'll tell the customer it ensures cleaner data.

Regards

Don't know about whether it 'sounds' better or not but I use three cones underneath the AppleTV in our living room just to lift it up and off the shelf to help in cooling. The AppleTV gets a bit warm and this helps with air flow.

I have a second AppleTV (40gig) in my Naim Nait / Linn LP12 / Paradigm Atom v.6 setup and absolutely love it. I should try some feet underneath and see if it sounds better in this system. It sounds awesome already. Seriously the Paradigm Atom v.6 is KILLER with the AppleTV and analog LP12. So instead of a CD player I just go to my Mac, download the CD(s) that I want to hear into my AppleTV and select the music via my iPod Touch with Remote application. Sweet.

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com

I agree with the unit running hot, cones may be worth a try also. Do you like the Nait? Which generation do you have? I greatly admired the 1st gen. We had NAIM in our house growing up (NAP 135's). Does the iPod touch remote app. work well? Is the interface pretty straightforward? Is it like Front Row in appearance?

For what it's worth, I simply rearranged my listening/Living room this weekend, and my system sounds 10x better, I had believed my room configuration was at it's best, but obviously not. Does anyone know of any cheap room analysis software for MAC?

BTW linn is offering a FREE music download to try (your choice of formats), I did the FLAC - converted using MAX (thanks Chris for the mini tutorial on that!).

Regards

I have an original version one Nait. It still sounds wonderful, and a great match with my LP12 and Paradigm Atoms. Yes the Remote App works very well with iTunes and the AppleTV. Nice thing is you don't need a TV monitor in this application, all control is on the Touch (or iPhone). Album artwork and song titles appear on screen as does volume and track + & -. I love the setup it works great. And all on my home wireless network!! I would recommend it to anyone. Enjoy!

np: Tim Weisberg vinyl "Tip of the Weisburg" on my LP12 (yeah I know this site is about 'computer' music. LOL.

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com

• 2 weeks later...

i don't use isolation for my laptop (ibook) but i do sit it on a marble placemat, i find the marble 'wicks' away a lot of heat from the battery, and as we are all to aware ibook batteries have to be kept below ignition point.

i don't think it makes any difference to the sound when streaming and i don't care, i'm simply trying to keep it cooler when i listen for a couple of hours.

good luck

steve