IGNORED

Moved to NAS, now I can't stream hi-re files

I have a pair of Squeezebox Touch devices streaming wirelessly to my two systems in my home. Previously, I had my music library (iTunes) stored on external hard drives. I use Logitech Media Server, the desktop app. My SBT's feed via optical to Musical Fidelity M1DACs. I had no issues streaming hi-res files.

But, I recently moved my music library to a NAS, specifically a Synology DS212j. And I am now using the Logitech Media Server residing on the Synology. Nothing else has changed on my system. All my 44k files play fine, but ever since I moved the library to the NAS, I can no longer stream my hi-res files. More accurately, the hi-res files will play, but they are not streaming at hi-res, but at 48k.

I can't find anything in the Synology literature that speaks to the issue of streaming hi-res files. I assumed that it has the capability.

Also, when I speak of hi-res files, I am talking 24/96 files, not 24/192.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

I have a pair of Squeezebox Touch devices streaming wirelessly to my two systems in my home. Previously, I had my music library (iTunes) stored on external hard drives. I use Logitech Media Server, the desktop app. My SBT's feed via optical to Musical Fidelity M1DACs. I had no issues streaming hi-res files.

But, I recently moved my music library to a NAS, specifically a Synology DS212j. And I am now using the Logitech Media Server residing on the Synology. Nothing else has changed on my system. All my 44k files play fine, but ever since I moved the library to the NAS, I can no longer stream my hi-res files. More accurately, the hi-res files will play, but they are not streaming at hi-res, but at 48k.

I can't find anything in the Synology literature that speaks to the issue of streaming hi-res files. I assumed that it has the capability.

What is the file format of your hi-res files? When I saw 48kHz it made me think of this thread on the Synology forums- might be a few things to try in there. Sounds like there's some transcoding/resampling going on behind the scenes.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Here is some additional information that I just discovered. My 16/44.1k files are leaving my SBT and coming into my DAC being up-ressed to 48k. Prior to moving my library to the Synology DS212j, all my files played at the native resolution. So, to sum up, all my files are AIFF, and both my 16/44 and my 24/96 files are being played by the SBT at 48k.

Jeff

Are they coming through at the same format? Or transcoded to another format?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think it's going to be down to settings in the LMS server rather than the actual Synology. Check through that everything is set to be sent in native format.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I've gone through everything in LMS, but can't find any applicable settings. Been spending time on Synology forums as well. Found a similar thread regarding ALAC (my files are AIFF) files all being streamed at 48k by the Synology. The solution seems to require some editing of the config file, which quite frankly, scares the hell out of me!

Jeff

Begin rant:

On a broader note, this is the sort of thing that is so frustrating about computer audio. For all the talk about DLNA, plug-and-play, blah, blah, blah, it is anything BUT plug-and-play. I consider myself fairly computer literate, but when I find that the solution to my problem involves editing config files, well, that's above my pay grade. Heck, I don't even know how to access a config file, much less edit one. Seems to me, there should be user-friendly software on either/both the Logitech Media Server or the Synology software, in which you have a little check box that gives you the choice: "Stream files at native resolution?" How hard is that? So I guess I'm just stuck with these useless 24/96 files playing at 48k.

End rant.

BTW, thanks for the help.

Jeff

Maybe a daft question... But if you look on LMS; it does recognise your Touch properly (as a Touch not some other kind of Squeezebox).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Just checked. LMS is properly recognizing both my SBT players. Spending time on 3 different forums, I'm convinced the issue is with the Synology, not with either the SBT or LMS. Thanks.

I'm sorry to contradict you without actually seeing your system ... But nothing in the Synology setup should affect how LMS works - it's standalone just like Windows (or OSX) audio setting don't affect LMS.

I assume you've tried removing LMS and reinstalling it?

Eloise

PS you don't have anything non standard in your SBT do you; no EDO plugin or optimisation setups or similar?

PPS is this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-88371.html any use?

Eloise

---

Any reason you can't go back to the logitech media server running on the PC with NAS attached as storage only? Sounds like running the media server application on the NAS is the critical difference that cause the problem.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

But nothing in the Synology setup should affect how LMS works - it's standalone just like Windows (or OSX) audio setting don't affect LMS.

I misstated, or wasn't clear before. I understand the Synology NAS itself isn't encoding my files to 48k. It is (I suppose) happening within LMS. Before I installed the Synology, I was using the desktop version of LMS. No problems; all my AIFF files played back in their native resolution. Now, after installing the Synology, I am using the LMS app operating within Synology DiskStation Manager. Thing is, I've gone through LMS with a fine tooth comb and I can't find any user settings that address the issue. If someone can point me in the right direction, I will be eternally grateful.

Jeff

Any reason you can't go back to the logitech media server running on the PC with NAS attached as storage only? Sounds like running the media server application on the NAS is the critical difference that cause the problem.

I suppose I could, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of moving to a NAS to begin with. If I can't get this to working properly, I guess I'll go back to my previous setup, which was just having my music library stored on external drives, and using the desktop version of LMS. I hate the idea of just throwing away $$$ of the NAS purchase.

Jeff

Can you try converting a few files manually to FLAC. See if its something to do with transcoding as (I think) AIFF and ALAC may be transcoded before being sent to the SBT as FLAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Can you try converting a few files manually to FLAC. See if its something to do with transcoding as (I think) AIFF and ALAC may be transcoded before being sent to the SBT as FLAC.

Eloise

My music library is in iTunes, which doesn't support FLAC.

Jeff

My music library is in iTunes, which doesn't support FLAC.

If you download XLD, just convert one or two albums. Will at least rule out some things and help you to trouble shoot maybe...

Eloise

Eloise

---

It probably won't solve things, but could be worth trying to see if there is a Synology package for LMS 7.8.

Warning, this is beta software so usual warnings about risks of things not working and making problems worse must be made.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Update: At this point Synology hasn't made available a package for LMS 7.8.

Got some assistance from the Synology forum that solved one problem, but created another.

In LMS 7.7.2, at Settings >> Advanced >> File Types, under File Format AIFF , Stream Format AIFF, my setting is "Native," which is unchanged. Under File Format AIFF, Stream Format FLAC, my setting was "ffmpeg." I changed this setting to "disabled."

That solved one issue, in that my 16/44 files are now playing at their native resolution, whereas before they were playing back at 48k. However, now my 24/96 files won't play at all; I just get this horrific static. My DAC indicates that the files are streaming at 96, but like I said, no music just static noise. Before I disabled Stream Format FLAC, my 24/96 files played back at 48k, just like my 16/44 files.

So now, my 16/44 files are playing at their native resolution (Yay!). But I can't play my 24/96 files (Booo!).

I am determined. Still working on fixing this. Still appreciating help and suggestions.

Jeff

I used SqueezeCenter (now called Logitech Media Server) for years with a Logitech Transporter and a QNAP NAS.

What I never did was use iTunes as a library?

SqueezeCenter will build and maintain it's own library on the server (the NAS in this case).

Try going this route and it should all work fine :)

ET

Is this simply a matter of going into LMS >> Settings >> iTunes tab, and unchecking the "Use iTunes" box? I've already done that, when I moved from having my music library stored on external hard drives to the Synology NAS.

Also, in my last post (not assuming you've read it), I changed a setting in Settings >> File Types >> AIFF >> Stream Format >> FLAC from "ffmpeg" to disabled.

That solved one issue, in that my 16/44 files are now playing at their native resolution, whereas before they were playing back at 48k. However, now my 24/96 files won't play at all; I just get this horrific static. My DAC indicates that the files are streaming at 96, but like I said, no music just static noise. Before I disabled Stream Format FLAC, my 24/96 files played back at 48k, just like my 16/44 files.

So now, my 16/44 files are playing at their native resolution. But I can't play my 24/96 files.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

I seam to recall this is an issue with the ffmpeg package used.

You have to (as I recall) install a version of sox instead.

Eloise

Eloise

---