IGNORED

Moved to NAS, now I can't stream hi-re files

Can you point me in the direction to find instructions on how to do this? (Will be Googling and searching, in the mean time.)

I can see what I can dig out of my bookmarks in the morning for you.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I changed a setting in Settings >> File Types >> AIFF >> Stream Format >> FLAC from "ffmpeg" to disabled.

That solved one issue, in that my 16/44 files are now playing at their native resolution, whereas before they were playing back at 48k. However, now my 24/96 files won't play at all; I just get this horrific static. My DAC indicates that the files are streaming at 96, but like I said, no music just static noise. Before I disabled Stream Format FLAC, my 24/96 files played back at 48k, just like my 16/44 files.

So now, my 16/44 files are playing at their native resolution. But I can't play my 24/96 files.

The SBT has problems with hi-res AIFF files, so they will need to be transcoded to FLAC (which is supported reliably at hi-res).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I seam to recall this is an issue with the ffmpeg package used.

You have to (as I recall) install a version of sox instead.

Hopefully that'll resolve the fixed resampling at 48kHz issue during transcoding, though it might cause the DS212 to struggle while resampling at the correct higher rate as its ARM processor lacks a floating point unit, I believe.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi ksjeff,

Do not despair. Mine works, so yours can be made to work too.

I have a similar set-up i.e. Synology DS 710+ NAS (DMS 4.3-3776), Squeezebox Touch and MF M1DAC feeding my NAIM system. This works without a flaw up to 24/192 but my system is ethernet wired. I used it with AIFF files but changed recently to FLAC.

AAC, AIFF, MP3 and FLAC are set to Native. The NAS uses LMS 7.7.2-007 and the SBT uses firmware 7.7.2-r9663. Enhanced Digital Output app installed. Auto update is disabled. Could you check your versions of the Logitech firmware?

Regards,

Arno

The DS710+ has an intel Atom x86 based cpu (so includes a maths co-processor/floating point unit) and is totally different to the ARM based fpu lacking cpu in the DS212j. It is certainly more powerful than the DS212 and would expect it to cope much better with things like transcoding in hi-res. Its x86 cpu also means that there's better support for it software-wise by applications like ffmpeg & sox, so these are likely to be less buggy.

-- Jo Cox

You are right. The faster processor and the larger memory was the reason for choosing the 710 in the first place. Prior to that I owned a DS210j and the transition from a PC based system to a NAS based system went smoothly but that was almost 2 yrs ago.

As far as I know from other forums the DS 21xj is widely used and I cannot recall a large scale advice not to use it as it cannot transcode fast enough but I might be wrong. I could mail you my file format setting in the LMS if that is any help

Regards, Arno.

Hi ksjeff,

Do not despair. Mine works, so yours can be made to work too.

I have a similar set-up i.e. Synology DS 710+ NAS (DMS 4.3-3776), Squeezebox Touch and MF M1DAC feeding my NAIM system. This works without a flaw up to 24/192 but my system is ethernet wired. I used it with AIFF files but changed recently to FLAC.

AAC, AIFF, MP3 and FLAC are set to Native. The NAS uses LMS 7.7.2-007 and the SBT uses firmware 7.7.2-r9663. Enhanced Digital Output app installed. Auto update is disabled. Could you check your versions of the Logitech firmware?

Regards,

Arno

Arno, thanks for the input. I checked, and I am running LMS 7.7.2-r33893; and my SBT firmware is 7.72-r9663.

I converted one of my 24/96 files to FLAC, made the appropriate settings in LMS "file types." The 24/96 file played back fine. So, the solution to my problem appears to be to convert all my AIFF files to FLAC? I've got about 1400+ albums to convert, which is a medium-sized undertaking. Before I do this, is there any down side to going with FLAC files, as opposed to AIFF? Album artwork issues? DAC or other equipment compatibility issues if/when I upgrade my systems in the future?

Also, I like the idea of streaming 24/192 files with my SBT. I'm not familiar with the Enhanced Digital Output app, but as soon as I finish here, about to do some searching and reading. Are there any downsides to using the EDO app?

Thanks for the help (everyone!). I think I'm on the right track.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

EDO has no drawbacks. I found that it improves the sound (PRAT, detail) from the SBT at all speeds 16/44.1 as well. That is at least in my system.

If you did not yet find out the link:

Enhanced Digital Output applet for Squeezebox Touch | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

Streaming 24/192 files demands a top class WiFi connection and network. I tested this om mine and on all 24/192 input material the connection buffering timed out. I installed a gigabit Ethernet network in the end and that solved the problem.

There are 9 levels of flac compression: "Uncompressed" and level 1 to 8. Each time the compression is increased and the file size decreased requiring more processor power to decode the file on playback. The "Uncompressed" flac file size is almost identical to the same AIFF file. I use "Uncompressed" flac for CD ripping.

The reason for changing from AIFF to flac is that flac sounds superior to AIFF (again in my set up).

As iTunes is not capable of handling HD files and also not flac files, I decided also to dispense with iTunes and replace it JRiver Media Center software (purchased). iTunes works well but uses a source filing method that I have failed to fathom.

I used the re-ripping project to streamline the source filing system i.e. classical music on composer and pop (& blues and jazz) music on performer. This way I can find back the source files if need to be.

For ripping I use DBpoweramp (purchased) which rips very accurately (Accurate Rip system) and compares the result with the rips in their data base. It chooses the Meta data according to a "smart" protocol from a number on-line databases but you can change the metadata as you like and it adds also cover art. It rips in all common formats including AIFF and flac uncompressed.

More importantly it contains a batch converter that works very fast and converts also to flac uncompressed.(JRiver 18 cannot convert to flac uncompressed) It leaves the cover art intact when changing format.

I have a library of some 800 Cd's which are managed on my PC. I transfer them to my NAS using synchronization software. That way I have 2 copies. A third copy is kept on an external HDD at a safe place.

I would test all steps to make sure that they do for you what they did for me.

I would have loved to have all this knowledge 2 years ago. Would have saved a lot of work and frustration.

Hope this helps. Arno

Thanks, Arno. I found Triode's original link to the EDO app, and also Darko's review you referenced above. I think I've made the decision to install the EDO app, which means I'm moving away from AIFF and iTunes, which means re-ripping my 1400+ CD library. Uggghh!! I have been using dbPowerAmp; used it when I ripped my library the first time. I've also decided to go with the J River Media Center. Haven't used it before, but I've read plenty about it here and elsewhere. Seems to be the obvious choice.

One last question. I have been using an optical cable between my SBTs and my Musical Fidelity M1DACs. Reading about the EDO app, it is my understanding that 24/192 files will not pass via optical cable, only S/PDIF or USB. So, what is your recommendation, S/PDIF or USB?

And once again, thanks for the help, and to everyone else who contributed. The people on this forum are the best. :~}

Sidebar Rant: Hey, Music Direct, $13.95 is the cheapest shipping option for a single SACD?? Come on, man!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use the s/pdif output with a Chord Signature Digitalplus cable (More expensive than the SBT itself) into the MF M1DAC. I am very pleased with the Chord (should be at this price).

I have re-ripped my CD's but I had additional reason to do so.

I would do a test to listen for a difference between a converted file or a re-ripped CD. It then follows from there.

Good luck to you if you have to re-rip.

Regards, Arno